+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows XP, great new look in Technical; Originally Posted by LeMarchand In W7 and Vista just start typing the name of the program into the search box, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    In W7 and Vista just start typing the name of the program into the search box, or use Launchy or similar on XP.

(Or organise your start menu better!)
    I like that functionallity and use it a lot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    Simple answer for me is No. XP is tired and dated and it has been an excellent OS for many years, but its time to look to the future and move on. Things change and we have to adapt. After using 7 now for so long I cringe when I go to an XP workstation. In no way is 7 perfect and I don't pretend it is but it is a good improvement over vista.
    no offence but anythings an improvement over vista, vista was one of those operating systems that microsoft really borked up just like windows Me, heck even linux is better then vista

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    no offence but anythings an improvement over vista, vista was one of those operating systems that microsoft really borked up just like windows Me, heck even linux is better then vista
    im sorry vista want that bad and isnt that different to win7 and tbf me wasnt as terrible as people make out

4. Thanks to sted from:

SYNACK (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im sorry vista want that bad and isnt that different to win7 and tbf me wasnt as terrible as people make out
    The amount of complaints I had about the recovery / system restore never working or failing along with a lot of other issues and the amount of resources it required just to run aero / special effects was silly - windows 7 is a big improvement but still a long way to go.

Thank Post
    The amount of complaints I had about the recovery / system restore never working or failing along with a lot of other issues and the amount of resources it required just to run aero / special effects was silly - windows 7 is a big improvement but still a long way to go.
    tbh i never had any issues with vista and win7 runs at about the same speed on teh same hardware. System restore has never been and will never be 100%. As to aero yes but you can turn it off and win7 isnt that much better at it as far as i can see

Thank Post
    Been using W7 for quite a while now as we prep for our deploy over summer. Yes, some things like the control panel are a pita, but you soon find the quickest route to things you need. What I do find though is as a productivity tool, rather than from a tech pov, I find it far better than XP. Cmd left and cmd right are amazingly useful, also the task bar with shortcuts and open programs together is really nice once you get over the initial change.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    the amount of resources it required just to run aero / special effects was silly
    Isn't this mainly due to the spec of their computer though? I've seen lots of people using Vista on ultra slow laptops and desktops they bought from PC World with Celeron processors, 512MB-1GB RAM and naff Intel graphics cards. What do they expect?
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st July 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I'm sorry Vista wasn't that bad and isn't that different to win7 and tbf me wasn't as terrible as people make out
    I agree 100%. A lot of people I know seem to have fallen for the whole Vista is rubbish meme and they haven't even used it - they just repeat what they have heard even when it's not true.

10. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

AngryTechnician (21st July 2010), TronXP (21st July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Its not Microsoft that you want to blame for that - its the software designers who want to brand their name over everything.
    I noticed Microsoft even have a webpage on MSDN stating this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...spx#guidelines

Thank Post
    I've always had a huge problem with both vista and windows7. it's like the supermarket they know you just want bread and milk so every 6 months they rearrange the shelves hoping you buy something you don't need.

So with Vista and Win7 they've changed all whole gui to make it easier? easier for who? The people who've been using XP for the last 8 years and can navigate it at the speed of light? No... for new users who've never used a PC before... well fantastic, so you made them for the 0.0009% of users who've never use XP and want they're first PC to be Windows... my butt, those people buy MACs!

So everyone else.. you remember 99.9991% who use XP now have to relearn where everything is and start using the new OS at the same speed as their grannys!

p.s. The other day it took me 20 minutes (and I had to google it) to show hidden and system files on win 7. It took me 10 minutes to configure my wireless settings, I couldn't just click on the wireless icon anymore! I turned bright red and my shpincter ate the chair.

WIH

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand why people complain about the changed UI in Vista/7. It isn't that different! The only major differences are the addition of Libraries (which, lets face it, existed in a poor form already in XP in the form of 'My Music' and 'My Pictures'), the addition of a quick search box in the start menu, and a slightly different taskbar. The control panels, once you get into them are mostly the same (other than the networking part, which I will admit is not the best design in the world), explorer behaves in the same way.

chazzy2501, why did it take you 20 minutes to show hidden files? It is exactly the same as in XP! The only minor change is that the menu bar (like many menu bars) is hidden by default and you have to press Alt to show it. Wireless settings? Network & Sharing Center -> Connect to a network. Ok, its different, but not exactly difficult to understand!

It seems a lot like there are a group of people who would never have updated from Windows 3 if they'd been given the choice...

14. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

TronXP (21st July 2010), webman (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Well everyone have their preference of each operating system.

I have XP at home pc, Vista on Laptop and my brother has 7, when I first had vista I disliked it but im guess i have slowly accpeted it becuase i have altered it to have classic mode of the start menu and control panel, but win 7 was a no no and still is

so XP is my winning operating system, and Office 2003

the reason being which they both have in common and the one one i think is yes it simpler with win 7 and the new office 2007 but when I look at it from my point view and i guess this would cover other techies stuff it all down we miss the toolbars since that what we been use to finding stuff and talk and walking people through it but since they scraped it , it easier if u new to the computer world but it hard for us since we use to it and been with for ages and also now we have to go even further and harder to find stuff and configure.

I still tell people to press the start menu and that but these win 7 users look puzzled,

so my request to microsoft bring back these title bars

it upto ou either agree or disagree

Thank Post
    Are we still having Vista/every other OS?! Is there any argument here?! Damn!

I have a reasonable spec gaming machine at home, 4gb RAM, quad core, 1gb gfx 64bit arch, it's not top of the range but its fast... Unless you put vista on it. Downstairs i have a laptop 1gb ram a crappy dual core 1.6ghz on board graphics, the usual... it runs XP and Ubuntu 9.10 and both of those were faster than Vista on the gaming rig, it was ridiculously slow, unusable, crashing constantly games pretty much didnt work it was awful... Whack the free upgrade to win7 on it and suddenly it zaps through boot up and general use, gaming is a dream. There is no other opinion, it is pure fact that Vista was slow, buggy and unstable otherwise why would MS say it themselves?

Windows XP still, in my opinion, is probably the best overall. It is simple enough for end users, old enough that 99% of programs work perfectly on it and at the same time it is bare-bones enough that an advanced user or techie can easily get behind the scenes and change things a lot easier than with windows 7. Perhaps Win7 is better for an end user but overall XP takes it, and i'm not a microsoft fan.

I still like the UI of win7 though... I just wish it was as easy to modify as XP.

Thank Post
    the new start menu is truly awful i have to agree! I love the idea of typing in "firefox" and hitting enter and not having to click my way through menus but at the same time i also love being able to browse the list to check if i have a specific program installed or if i forget the name of a program etc... and that pathetic scrollbox is absolutely useless unless you have a grand total of 3 programs or less!

All it needs is a little "classic programs list" option, keep the search bar and the round icon but give me back my lists!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I'm also in the XP camp, and it certainly isn't "dated".

7 would be great if they hadn't completely removed the "classic" option. I don't like a wide Start Menu.

I think some people forget that an OS is primarily there to provide a platform for running apps. I'd rather my memory and processor power go on the application I'm running, not the OS.
    I'm going to have to disagree. XP is dated but "clean". To think Windows 7 is bloated and non-customisable is rubbish. Pretty much XP will be left in the dumps this year with its support expiring and new programs now becoming incompatible with it. You have to take Windows 7 for what it is. It pretty much will run on any hardware you can throw at it and doesn't have a "lag-factor" Vista inherited from it's poor coding.

Changing the log-on screen is extremely easy on Windows 7 (unlike XP), UI is much more clever and Aero won't zap power out of our teacher laptops (unlike Vista) and everyone who's been upgraded has noticed the speed difference straight away. Yes, I still install XP on some very old but late Pentium 4's with lots of RAM for reliability; but if you are so desperate to cling onto XP, use the XP Mode on Windows 7. Works like a dream . To manage, Windows 7 is my preference now just because of it's ease of deployment, licensing, and speed. What's the use of the "classic" UI? Especially when Windows 7 has a more efficient pin style taskbar?

On the other hand, I use Mac OS X much more on a daily basis personally :P. All OSes have their up's and down's. I could put a case forward that Mac is better than Windows and write an essay about it. Point? There is none.

All I can say that for the average-joe user (most of our teachers), Windows 7 has made it easier for them to click around the UI much more effortlessly. Especially connecting wireless which takes two clicks rather than XPs several clicks method. I can see why techies still love XP though (for hyperterminal is priceless!).

19. Thanks to Tunster from:

TronXP (21st July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast