+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 - DHCP/Netlogon/Firewall - Microsoft Confirm a Bug in Technical; Originally Posted by Bitmapped I've been running into a case I think might be related to this issue. Win7 SP1 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitmapped View Post
    I've been running into a case I think might be related to this issue. Win7 SP1 x64 machines joined to a domain, get their IPs through a Cisco helper. On system wake (seen it from sleep, not sure from full boot) have intermittent issues with "no log on servers" error. NIC shows it has a connection, but if I log in with a local account Windows tries to get an IP then gives up and actually tells me the network connection is unplugged. Reboot generally solves the problem.

I went through the directions in the MSKB article and on my systems at least, the TCP-IP interface already had the force broadcast flag set to 1. I've tried different drivers and autonegotiation settings without luck. Trying now to disable the public-profile firewall in case that's the isuse.

Any word on when Microsoft might make this hotfix available so I can test that? Trying to track down these issues in two computer labs is driving me crazy.
    Do the client machines have intel NICs in them, they have junky drivers and you need to go into the advanced driver settings and set wait for link to on rather than autodetect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Do the client machines have intel NICs in them, they have junky drivers and you need to go into the advanced driver settings and set wait for link to on rather than autodetect.
    We basically have two groups of PCs, Dell Vostro 200s with Intel NICs and Vostro 230s with Broadcom Netlink 57xx NICs. The Intel NICs seem fine, it's the Broadcom ones that are having problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitmapped View Post
    We basically have two groups of PCs, Dell Vostro 200s with Intel NICs and Vostro 230s with Broadcom Netlink 57xx NICs. The Intel NICs seem fine, it's the Broadcom ones that are having problems.
    If the other brand are working fine then it is not related to the issue this thread deals with rather with drivers. Check for a simmilar setting to the one I recommended above in the broadcom drivers and if you can't find one disable the 'allow computer to turn off this device to save power' setting under the power tab in the driver. This will prevent the computer from sleeping the NIC when it goes into suspend and should prevent the issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If the other brand are working fine then it is not related to the issue this thread deals with rather with drivers. Check for a simmilar setting to the one I recommended above in the broadcom drivers and if you can't find one disable the 'allow computer to turn off this device to save power' setting under the power tab in the driver. This will prevent the computer from sleeping the NIC when it goes into suspend and should prevent the issue.
    Well, a clarification I guess. I have seen the log entries on the Intels but it is the Broadcoms that have been causing bigger usability problems. I've been through a variety of different driver versions and settings for auto-negotiation, although I haven't tried anything like "wait for link." I'm not seeing a setting like that on the Broadcom drivers. I've been loathe to disable allowing Windows to turn off the NIC because that also means my ability to Wake-on-LAN the computers goes away.

A question: With this issue are you just seeing the log entries and/or Group Policy failures or are you getting real logon errors? For the Broadcoms, when users try to logon I will intermittently get "no logon server is available to service the logon request" if they try to use a domain account. As I mentioned above, if I login with a local account Windows acts like it is trying to get an IP/identify the network then it seems to give us and say we're unplugged.
    Last edited by Bitmapped; 8th September 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: details regarding Broadcom drivers

Thank Post
    Is there any further information on whether the Hotfix is now available? I am having this same problem. The main effect I am noticing, other than the Netlogon/GP/Time Service errors, is that after perhaps an hour my Win7 client drops all mapped drives and is unable to connect to the server (SBS 2003). It retains internet access. However, if I open a program that needs access to a database on the server BEFORE the connection is dropped, the client retains access to the server indefinitely whilst this program is running. Once the connection is dropped, the only way to reconnect is to log out and log back in (or restart, obv.). I am connected to the server via a switch. Will try the workarounds suggested above.
    I have 4 Win7 clients and 2 XP, and am only seeing the problem on 1 laptop. Haven't yet been able to narrow it down why - the only obvious difference is that it's an oldish machine with a slow processor, originally XP, reformatted and Win7 installed (have not yet updated to SP1). The ethernet NIC is not any of the models previously mentioned.

Thank Post
    Is the hotfix already public?

Thank Post
    The RegKey "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" works for me.
    But i need a hotfix :-(

Thank Post
    Also having problems with running GPO's on startup caused by this bug.
    We disabled the firewall for the public profile as workaround in PC rooms and fixed desktop computers, but for laptops we don't like to do this.
    A hotfix would be great to have!

Thank Post
    Try this Hotfix:
    http://hotfix.chris123nt.com/Windows...530-v3-x86.msu

It will fix the problem!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeman2000 View Post
    Try this Hotfix:
    http://hotfix.chris123nt.com/Windows...530-v3-x86.msu

It will fix the problem!
    I have run this with no sucess, is there any update on this matter or has it gone sour like most of microsofts mishaps?

Thank Post
    Hi,

Microsoft have now finically release the hotfix The KB number is 2459530 hope this helps everyone, its been a long time coming.

Edd

12. 3 Thanks to teckedd:

BooBoo (1st December 2011), Heggy (9th November 2011), SYNACK (25th October 2011)

Thank Post

Thumbs up It Works

Quote Originally Posted by teckedd View Post
    Hi,

Microsoft have now finically release the hotfix The KB number is 2459530 hope this helps everyone, its been a long time coming.

Edd
    And it WORKS!!

Thanks to Teckedd and all those who have badgered Microsoft for this hot patch. Today was the first time a whole set of laptops connected since upgrading to Windows 7. All on in under 1minute. Result.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Roll on Windows 7 SP2. I think it's going to address a lot of issues when it's released next year!

Thank Post
    First of all thanks for that bunch of information on that nasty 5719 Errors!
    We're also seeing these errors (along with some others related to Group-Policy (Computer-part) and time-service) in the eventlog of every Windows 7 computer we have in our environment.
    These computers are connected to the LAN (they're lenovo notebooks with embedded Intel NICs) and everything works quite normal from the user's perspective, but the errormessages do not stop to show up on every reboot of the machine.

I was very glad when I saw that there is a hotfix available and quite curious if it would help in our environment, but unfortunately it doesn't fix our issues.

What I tried up to now beside of the hotfix installation:
    - Used a PC without virus scanning software and without local firewall (we're not using windows firewall but Mcafee HIPS)
    - Set the parameter "wait for link" to enabled on the NIC advanced settings (no changement)
    - checked switch port settings (Cisco environment, spanning tree "portfast" option is enabled)
    - played around with dependencies of the netlogon service

What else could I do now to stop this annoying messages?
    Last edited by mradel; 20th December 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At first I read this thread and I was like
    Then I checked my event viewer and I was like
    Then I spent ages working out how to deploy an MSU with SCCM, finally managed it and I was like

(and then the machine I was testing on never seemed to have the issue resolved and I was all but then I checked it on a couple of others and they were fine, so I think this testbed is messing with me. It even broke a Scratch deployment yesterday. You have to work hard to mess that install up)

Cheers, anyway! (and apologies for the necroing, but maybe the reappearance of this thread will get a couple of other folks to check and spot the problem in their new Win7 install)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234