+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 - DHCP/Netlogon/Firewall - Microsoft Confirm a Bug in Technical; Are you experienceing the NETLOGON problem on a wired or wireless connection? We were able to stop it occurring on ...

Thank Post
    Are you experienceing the NETLOGON problem on a wired or wireless connection? We were able to stop it occurring on wired only. On wireless it still persists.

I have found the global DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag setting to be rather useless, seeing as you should set DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle as well, which you can only do per interface GUID.

It's a hard problem to manage. I've written a bit about it here, in my blog. I might have a followup soon with some similar issues we're seeing at boot on wireless PC's (however we still haven't fixed those problems completely).

Quote Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
    I have mitigated the Group Policy processing issues by tweaking the following GPO settings:

• Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/Startup policy processing wait time
    • Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon/Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
    • Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Net Logon/Expected dial-up delay on logon

None of the suggested workarounds for the NetLogon errors have worked. Disabling the firewall did nothing. The DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag can be implemented but the global setting only applies if the entry under
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>
    is deleted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Are you experienceing the NETLOGON problem on a wired or wireless connection? We were able to stop it occurring on wired only. On wireless it still persists.

I have found the global DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag setting to be rather useless, seeing as you should set DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle as well, which you can only do per interface GUID.

It's a hard problem to manage. I've written a bit about it here, in my blog. I might have a followup soon with some similar issues we're seeing at boot on wireless PC's (however we still haven't fixed those problems completely).
    Wired gigabit. Not too concerned about the wireless connections as everyone with a laptop docks when at their desks so wireless is only used occasionally or for guests. I've tried the DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag and DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle to no avail. If it is working for you though I will submit this Powershell script that will allow you to push these entries out to multiple machines. As with any script use at your own risk and test before using in production
    Code:
    # Replace with your subnet
    $IpSubnet = "10.1.1."

# Use WMI query to get GUID for network adapter with IP address matching the IP subnet configured above
    $NIC = Get-WmiObject -query "select settingid, ipaddress from win32_networkadapterconfiguration WHERE IPEnabled = 'True'"  | ? { $_.IpAddress -match $IpSubnet }

$GUID = $NIC.SettingID.ToString()

#Use GUID to set registry path to interface key
    $RegPath = "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP\Parameters\Interfaces\" + $GUID 

$RegKey = Get-Item $RegPath

# Sets DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag property value to 1
    Set-ItemProperty $RegKey.PSPath -name DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag -Value 1

# Checks for existence of DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle property
    # If it does not exist create the property with value 0
    # If it does exist set the value to 0
    If ((Get-ItemProperty $RegKey.PSPath -Name DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) -eq $null ) {
    	New-ItemProperty $RegKey.PSPath -Name DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle -Value 0 -PropertyType DWORD
    } Else { Set-ItemProperty $RegKey.PSPath -Name DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle -Value 0 }
    I created a GPO on a test OU and configured this script as a Shutdown script. It configures the registry as desired, however, I'm still getting the NetLogon errors with my test machine.

Thank Post
    Ok I had completely ignored Windows 7 SP1 because I had read in multiple threads that it had no effect on this issue. We have not deployed SP1 as of yet, but unrelated to this issue I decided that it was time to install it on my PC and see if any issues arise. Incredibly after rebooting the NetLogon errors stopped. Disabled my GPO that modifies the registry. Set the registry back to defaults (DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag = 0; deleted DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle ). Cleared my System log. After another reboot still no NetLogon errors. I do still have the firewall disabled so that is my next test.

CORRECTION:

Seems to be a combination of SP1, completely the disabling firewall (domain,private,public), and the forcing broadcast flag via the registry. With all three of those I no longer get NetLogon errors on a wired connection. Will have to check wireless tomorrow.
    Last edited by TimmG6376; 18th May 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Could I be affected by this as well? I am seeing the same errors and inconsistent GP application, but we are a single broadcast domain and DHCP server is 2008 :/ No DHCP helpers in use..

WOrkstations are not SP1'd yet.. just gonna try one now and see how that goes

Thank Post
    Seems like a pretty fundamental flaw... how about we just don't pay our annual MS subs? If enough of us do that it might make M$ sit up and take notice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Could I be affected by this as well? I am seeing the same errors and inconsistent GP application, but we are a single broadcast domain and DHCP server is 2008 :/ No DHCP helpers in use..

WOrkstations are not SP1'd yet.. just gonna try one now and see how that goes
    There are a few NICs that can also exhibit this behaviour due to GP trying to process before link negotiation has completed. See the post from Brent Hu at the link below (about 11 posts down the page).

Windows 7 Slow to Log on with Re-Directed Folders - Windows Server 2008

7. Thanks to TimmG6376 from:

Oops_my_bad (23rd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Hmm interesting. It seems this is only happening to some of our wireless laptops - atheros WIFI cards seem fine, I am only seeing this error on intel WIFI laptops. Maybe my issue is unrelated to this topic.. sorry.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Microsoft have now released a KB article with a work around, they are still looking into the possibility of releasing a hotfix. The KB is 2459530

Hope this helps,

Edd
    Last edited by teckedd; 27th May 2011 at 09:45 AM.

10. Thanks to teckedd from:

Oops_my_bad (28th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi,

I have some possible good news regarding the hotfix; I have received a beta fix that I hope to test very shortly. Microsoft are hoping to release the public fix in August. Before anyone asks I cannot redistribute the fix as it’s a beta and Microsoft will hunt me down however, once tested I will let you know if there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Edd

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Well some good news! I tested the hotfix today and it looks like it resolves the problem so I now need to continue the waiting game and wait for the public release before I can roll it out! I will post the link to the hotfix when it’s released.

Edd

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love this 12 month turn around on a fix . However at least light for people who are having the issue.

Thank Post
    so is there a fix for this yet?

Thank Post

.. in the meantime ..

Hi all,

It has been several months.. I experience the same problem.

Has Microsoft created a hotfix yet?

Greets Jasper

Thank Post
    Getting similar errors on our workstations but not using Windows Firewall...when a static IP is set everything works great. Just when using DHCP?

Any ideas...

Thank Post

Is my case similar to yours?

I've been running into a case I think might be related to this issue. Win7 SP1 x64 machines joined to a domain, get their IPs through a Cisco helper. On system wake (seen it from sleep, not sure from full boot) have intermittent issues with "no log on servers" error. NIC shows it has a connection, but if I log in with a local account Windows tries to get an IP then gives up and actually tells me the network connection is unplugged. Reboot generally solves the problem.

I went through the directions in the MSKB article and on my systems at least, the TCP-IP interface already had the force broadcast flag set to 1. I've tried different drivers and autonegotiation settings without luck. Trying now to disable the public-profile firewall in case that's the isuse.

Any word on when Microsoft might make this hotfix available so I can test that? Trying to track down these issues in two computer labs is driving me crazy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast