+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 - DHCP/Netlogon/Firewall - Microsoft Confirm a Bug in Technical; Hi Keatho, Sounds like you could have the same problem! I am getting this problem on both our wireless and ...

Thank Post
    Hi Keatho,

Sounds like you could have the same problem!

I am getting this problem on both our wireless and cabled network however I have disabled the public profile on all computers until I have a satisfactory fix. A static IP should resolve this problem as this only occurs when using DHCP so you could have two problems.

If you log this with Microsoft please can you log the problem the normal way and work with Microsoft to fix it as this will help build weigh to get it fixed. They have had several calls asking for more information but people have not been willing to work with Microsoft to help resolve it so a case does not get logged.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    I am getting these ID errors when the teachers try to vpn in from home (open vpn AS). Their laptops also slow right down to the point that its unusable. All works fine if the Win7 laptop has never joined the school domain.

I have setup synctoy until I can get vpn working.

Thank Post
    I have resolved the Group Policy errors i was getting by enabling the following option and setting the wait time to 20 seconds....

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/StatupPolicyProcessingWaitTime

4. Thanks to keatho from:

rh91uk (18th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Keatho,

Setting that key should resolve the GPO errors however the netlogon errors should still persist, that key only tells the Group Policy engine how long to wait for network before timing out and the cause is down to the computer not getting a DHCP ACK in a timely fashion. I am yet to try this workaround on a laptop; my concern is it will make the laptop wait 20 seconds (or whatever you set) to process GPOs when it’s not connected to the network e.g. home

Have you logged a case is Microsoft?

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by teckedd View Post
    Hi,

Symptoms
    • NETLOGON event ID 5719 in system event log
      This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain <DOMAIN NAME> due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    • Group policies inconsistently applying on start-up
    • Event ID 50024 logged in the Microsoft-Windows-DHCP Client Events/Operational event log (you need to enable this event log as its disabled by default)
      Ack Receive Timeout has happened in the Interface Id xx

Edd
    I have this exact same issue, with all the above appearing in the logs. All 500 of my PCs are set to a Domain as their network location and I can confirm that disabling the Public profile of the firewall solves the problems. For me the problem manifests itself by inconsistent application of Group Policy which means software is impossible to deploy via AD.

I recently started managing the Windows Firewall via Group Policy, as until recently I did not need to have any inbound exceptions on the Domain profile, so the defaults were working fine. I'm wondering if it is enabling this policy (Computer Config>Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Windows Firewall with Advanced Security) that causes this abvious (and Microsoft have now admitted) bug?

Anyway, may I just say thanks to Teckedd for pointing me to a workaround for now.

Stu

Thank Post

HF Available?

Hi @ all!

I have exact the same Issue!

Is a MS Hotfix now available? Or is the Business Support Case still missing?

Thank Post
    Hi,

Unfortunately it is still with the product group and I am waiting for them to determine if itís worth fixing. If you have the problem I would suggest logging a support case and this will build an increasing case for it to be resolved.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    Hi,

I seem to be getting the above error however I have the windows firewall turned off.

Could I still be afected?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi McBridge,

If you have all profiles disabled within the Microsoft firewall then I think you probably have a different problem.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    Teckedd, I too have the same issue using Cisco ip-helpers, 2008R2 DHCP Servers, and Win 7 clients on both wired and wireless. Are you saying that Win 7 on startup is requesting and expecting back a Unicast DHCP Offer by default, and even though it gets a Unicast offer back, it still drops it, and that this is the Microsoft Bug, which only occurs in the Public firewall profile before it transitions to the Domain profile, and that the Domain profile doesnt drop the Unicast offer that it asked for.

Thank Post
    I'd like to add my voice to this one. We're experiencing the same problem on our Win 7 clients with our 2008 R2 DHCP server and Cisco DHCP Helpers. The symptoms are the same, with GP's being inconsistently applied. It's particularly serious for the Wireless policies on some of our laptops, as they don't always apply those policies, and fail to connect to the network. They can't reconnect until someone does a gpupdate on them over a wired connection.
    We've tried setting the DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, with little success.

I assume MS haven't issued a fix for this, and if so, the only solution for us is to drastically change our DHCP setup. Does anyone know if this affects *nix DHCP servers? I assume using a multi-homed DHCP server will work if it has an interface in the problem VLAN, but that seems such an ugly solution.

L8r.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Looking at the date when this was started, does Windows 7 Service Pack 1 fix this issue? Can anyone confirm it?

Thank Post
    SP1 for win 7 makes no difference at all, i find it hard to believe that this wasnt accomodated for by Microsoft, any organisation of a medium size will be using vlans with Cisco kit and msft DHCP servers.

I also find the dhcp con flag solution to be intermittant, disabling the public profile seems the only constant fix, which isnt an option for me

We have trunked vlans on wireless access points allocated to different ssid's, we have over 1200 clients with the netlogon error both wired and wireless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simon636 View Post
    SP1 for win 7 makes no difference at all, i find it hard to believe that this wasnt accomodated for by Microsoft, any organisation of a medium size will be using vlans with Cisco kit and msft DHCP servers.

I also find the dhcp con flag solution to be intermittant, disabling the public profile seems the only constant fix, which isnt an option for me

We have trunked vlans on wireless access points allocated to different ssid's, we have over 1200 clients with the netlogon error both wired and wireless.
    I have been working with a helpful chap, by the name of Brent (an MS employee) in the MS Technet forums recently, he has confirmed the case has been logged and offers some solutions to the problem, in this thread. These are one of, using the DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag setting, disabling public profile, or firewall completely, or using the startup policy processing wait time.

In my own testing I have confirmed that the DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag setting is unreliable (although I haven't played with the associated DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle yet, which may be required), and that disabling the public firewall profile does nothing. We had also employed a startup policy processing wait time, but it didn't seem to work, although I will revisit that before writing it off altogether.

There is no fix forthcoming from MS. So, has anyone successfully managed to work around this problem yet?

Thank Post

Nice to see I'm not alone

I have mitigated the Group Policy processing issues by tweaking the following GPO settings:

• Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/Startup policy processing wait time
    • Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon/Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
    • Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Net Logon/Expected dial-up delay on logon

None of the suggested workarounds for the NetLogon errors have worked. Disabling the firewall did nothing. The DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag can be implemented but the global setting only applies if the entry under
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>
    is deleted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast