+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, windows 7 help needed in Technical; hi We are implementing windows 7 on teacher laptops over the summer. Most of the bits are ok however i ...
    Thank Post

windows 7 help needed

hi

We are implementing windows 7 on teacher laptops over the summer. Most of the bits are ok however i need help on some if you would be so kind.

1) How does file syncronisation work on win 7. It does not seem to visibly sync at logoff.

2) How do i put the school logo in the 'frame' on the login page.

3) is there any way of setting the adjust for best performance option for the whole computer or via group policy instead of per profile.

4) Finaly! How can i restrict access to the desktop to prevent people saving stuff there?
    i have the setting for disallow use of the desktop set. however if i go into word and try to save as i can still save into the desktop folder!

thanks for your help

nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    2) How do I put the school logo in the 'frame' on the login page.
    I have just posted some instructions on how to do this here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    4) Finally! How can I restrict access to the desktop to prevent people saving stuff there?
    One method would be to use mandatory profiles. Users can still save stuff to the desktop, but it will be deleted when they log off.

Thank Post
    1 like software deploy unless you set it to verbose mode it probably just says please wait or similar (but ive not tried i cant stand auto sync)

2 no idea not that bothered its waaaaaaaaaayy down my list

3 group policy preferences i think

4 you can block all access to desktop via a gpo (but that also removes all desktop icons you may want there) best way is probably redirect it to a shared location without write access

Thank Post
    1) How does file syncronisation work on win 7. It does not seem to visibly sync at logoff
    This one threw me for about 5 mins, no display of synchronization, it does it without user interaction I think modelled on MS transparent offline caching. To see if a file is synced and offline it should have a green icon at the bottom of the display window and says something like file is cached and available offline.

Thank Post
    3) is there any way of setting the adjustforbestperformance option for the whole computer or via grouppolicy instead of per profile.

Have just spent most of my morning trying to crack this.
    Download this - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...attach_id=3726
    It works flawlessly every time. Have tested on XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8 machines.
    The original compiled code can be found here - "Adjust for best performance" through command line - MSFN Forum
    I grabbed AutoIt, and pasted the code in, making sure to change the following below, to provide a separate script for 'Adjust for best appearance'.

;click on "Adjust for best performance"
    WinWaitActive("classname=#32770")
    ControlClick("","","Button3")So glad I came across this, thought it might make a few more people happy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    This one threw me for about 5 mins, no display of synchronization, it does it without user interaction I think modelled on MS transparent offline caching. To see if a file is synced and offline it should have a green icon at the bottom of the display window and says something like file is cached and available offline.
    1 When you log on, the little green icon spins when it is synching, which seems to happen a couple of minutes after logon, here anyway. You can click on it to see what is going on.
    4 If you set it so that things are deleted when they log off, all hell will break loose. Set it to redirect to a user area or whatever

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread