+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 - I've Given Up in Technical; below is my policy if it helps...

Thank Post
    below is my policy if it helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Exactly the same as mine - well not in again til monday will recommence then with trying.

Did you get abacus evolve installed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Exactly the same as mine - well not in again til monday will recommence then with trying.

Did you get abacus evolve installed?
    shudder ive set it up on xp mode but ive had to also install office 03 on the vm lol next for abacus talk maths/solve the problem sigh

i can grab you a copy of my win7 pc policy Monday if it helps but that has been edited with rsat

4. Thanks to sted from:

chrbb (15th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Given the trouble I used to have with Active Desktop on XP, I wasnt about to put any faith in the Windows 7/2008R2 version working. So glad of BgInfo as its one of the few things we havent had to worry about with 7 (apart from creating a pretty new Windows 7 school background )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    below is my policy if it helps
    Remember that there is a problem with backgrounds as in there is a registry key missing. It's well documented on the web and here on edugeek.

Is this the same issue?

Gareth

Thank Post
    No thats a server 2008/windows7 problem. I run server 2003 at the moment. Done all the research!

@sidewinder seriously considering bginfo, despite everything working brilliantly on xp clients we will be having more windows 7 clients before we upgrade to server 2008 so this background thing is really bugging me now! Do you use bginfo with success on server 2003/windows 7? If so any chance of a walkthrough?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
    Any other ideas about what to do with empty frame? It just looks sloppy and untidy on all the login screens, at the moment I am just leaving it as is as I cannot get this DLL working but I'm interested in what other people have done about it.
    The reason it may not work is due to the fact that the 12223 bitmap in AuthUI.dll has an alpha channel which covers the middle of the frame. Unless you edit this alpha channel to exclude your logo, it will not be shown at all.

This is what I did to get it working...

1. Copy authui.dll from your Windows\System32 folder to your desktop.

2. Open the copy of authui.dll you just made in Resource Hacker.

3. Find bitmap 12223, right-click 1033 (you will need to double-click the 12223 folder to see this) and select "Save [Bitmap : 12223 : 1033]...". When the Save As dialog box appears, type "12223.bmp" in the filename box and save it to your desktop.

4. Open 12223.bmp in an image editor which can modify alpha channels. I'm going to use Photoshop since I already have it installed.

5. Go to the Channels palette and toggle the visibility of the "Alpha 1" channel by clicking on the "eye" next to it. Click on the "Alpha 1" channel itself and the image should turn red. The red area is the part of the image which is masked by the alpha channel.

6. Use the rectangular marquee selection tool and/or the eraser tool to remove the red area covering the centre of the frame (where you logo will go). Pay special attention to the round corners.

7. Next, click on the RGB channel and switch back to the Layers palette.

8. Paste your school logo into the centre of the frame. It should be a maximum of 124x124 pixels in size if you want it to be within the frame border (or 126x126 pixels if you don't care). You should end up with something like this...

9. Save the changes you have made to the bitmap image (File » Save) and then close Photoshop.

10. In Resource Hacker, find bitmap 12223 again, right-click 1033 and select "Replace Resource...". In the replace bitmap dialog box, click the "Open file with new bitmap..." button, choose the 12223.bmp image you modified and then click the Replace button.

11. Save the authui.dll (File » Save) and then close Resource Hacker.

12. Take ownership of the original authui.dll file in the Windows\System32 folder (click here for an easy way to do this), rename it to authui.dll.bak and copy the new version saved on your desktop into this folder. You will need Administrator rights to do this.

13. Next, configure Windows so that it doesn't display the username of the last person who logged on. You can do this via RegEdit (http://goo.gl/bNFG) or Group Policy (http://goo.gl/Ucz1).

14. Restart the computer and you should end up with a logon screen which displays your school logo.

Last edited by Arthur; 19th July 2010 at 04:10 AM.

9. 7 Thanks to Arthur:

DaveyPitch (7th April 2011), DriftGrant (30th July 2010), hfnistelrooy (20th December 2011), Silverman (20th July 2010), spc-rocket (11th April 2013), trivers1982 (17th June 2013), zag (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Not sure TBH. Does replacing a single bitmap in a DLL really count as decompiling or disassembling?
    I would assume the answer is "yes" as this was definately the case with XP's gina.dll file (replacing the XP banner with a custom bmp) and MS had also given APIs to build your own GINA file...

I have been looking to do the same thing, but until I find out if its breaks the EULA or not, I am going to hang fire for now...

Thank Post
    Seriously cheesed off with backgrounds now! Tried bginfo a few years ago and didn't have much success with it. So in desperation and sheer determination to make the ********* background work, I'm thinking of not using server 2003 group policy to set backgrounds but to put a registry setting to set background for current user in a logon script, with the background stored on the computer. Is this feasible?

Thank Post
    Funny this, i was going to start a thread saying the same thing about w7.

I have given up and may go for it next year but the amount of tweaking needed is just plain stupid... the renaming of the home folders is a pain.. the backgrounds... the start menu redirection...

Hope the service pack will help with some of this stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Hope the service pack will help with some of this stuff.
    It looks like it will...

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/07/t...ervice-pack-1/
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-027ae59ddc11

PEO
    Thank Post
    It would be great if a guide for migrating over to 7 for server, profiles, and scripts was floating around

Thank Post
    I am pretty much there with my students' policies for Windows 7, and PC policies. When I inititially joined a Win7 Pro machine to the domain, it wouldn't log on as a domain user. This was due to our kix scripts we use for setting printers, which I have now ditched in favour of GPP.

My advice is to copy your existing settings for the relevant GP to a new policy, then start stripping out anything that can be a problem, such as scripts, then adding and tweaking settings as you go along, rather than starting from scratch. I then built a new .v2 mandatory profile from the completed user, and touch wood it seems to be okay, with decent logon times, no libraries, etc. I am getting the renamed home folders issue, but if you check the 'filename' attribute in detail view in Explorer, you can see the actual name rather than the alias.

16. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

SYNACK (24th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    [*]Open 12223.bmp in an image editor which can modify alpha channels. I'm going to use Photoshop since I already have it installed.

[*]Go to the Channels palette and toggle the visibility of the "Alpha 1" channel by clicking on the "eye" next to it. Click on the "Alpha 1" channel itself and the image should turn red. The red area is the part of the image which is masked by the alpha channel.
    This is where i was going wrong. Thanks!

Thank Post
    I'm having same issues here... Does it really work?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast