+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 - I've Given Up in Technical; Originally Posted by Silverman Does anybody have an editted authui.dll file they could share to change the user account image ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
    Does anybody have an editted authui.dll file they could share to change the user account image from an empty frame to a desired logo.

I have tried editting many of the BMPs within this dll but all I have managed to do is change the colour of this empty frame.

Would be a massive help if somebody has changed this and could share.

Thanks.
    Doesn't that break the EULA?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
    Does anybody have an edited authui.dll file they could share to change the user account image from an empty frame to a desired logo.
    From what I have read, there are a couple of things you need to do to get a logo displayed instead of the empty frame.

1) Edit bitmap 12223 in authui.dll i.e. export original picture, edit it to include your logo (128x128 pixels) in the middle of the frame, import it and then save (overwriting the original authui.dll).
    2) Make sure the DontDisplayLastName registry key is set to 1 or the "Do not display last user name" GPO is enabled.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    From what I have read, there are a couple of things you need to do to get a logo displayed instead of the empty frame.

1) Edit bitmap 12223 in authui.dll i.e. export original picture, edit it to include your logo (128x128 pixels) in the middle of the frame, import it and then save (overwriting the original authui.dll).
    2) Make sure the DontDisplayLastName registry key is set to 1 or the "Do not display last user name" GPO is enabled.
    using resource hacker I presume ?

Thank Post
    You can do. I used to use Resource Hacker, but recently came across ResEdit which I think is even better.

There's also XN Resource Editor, Resource Tuner and PE Explorer. Although the last two are not free, they do have several really useful features, such as automatic UPX unpacking and the ability to create application manifests.

For editing the Windows 7 logon screen, I also found the following links quite useful.

Windows 7 Logon Editing Guide
    Logon Workshop
    Logon Editor

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

This is one of the files that I have tried editting but it is as if whatever I put into the middle of the frame is transparent, the only changes that show are edits I make to the actual frame.
    It appears some people have changed this file successfully though which is why I wanted to see a copy of one that has been changed and works.

Thank Post
    Did you set that registry entry too? This is key to getting the logo to appear when no one is logged on.

Thank Post
    As i have already said - surely using RegHack, et al to modify an original DLL is in breach of the EULA, and as such I dont think its wise for us to be advertising that fact...

Thank Post
    Yeah I have that done via GPO, this is what removes the 'Switch User' feature and enables the more classic style login. But at the same time makes this frame appear empty. Seems like a silly feature of Microsoft, I would much prefer to have no frame there or our school logo in the frame but am getting no where with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    As i have already said - surely using RegHack, et al to modify an original DLL is in breach of the EULA, and as such I dont think its wise for us to be advertising that fact...
    Any other ideas about what to do with empty frame? It just looks sloppy and untidy on all the login screens, at the moment I am just leaving it as is as I cannot get this DLL working but I'm interested in what other people have done about it.
    Last edited by Silverman; 14th July 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Not sure TBH. Does replacing a single bitmap in a DLL really count as decompiling or disassembling?

Thank Post
    Right finally installed and set up my laptops how i want them, all software installed and working (although I'm on 32 bit which I think is more old software friendly), even abacus evolve, starspell, science explorer and microsmile - it's taken an absolute age to get it right! Only had three to do so set them up individually as I didn't want a clone to wrong disk situation.

No luck with the background, although oddly enough when I tested kartouche, the display reverted to some sort of basic display and the background set by gpo showed until i logged off.

Thank Post
    is the logo you are trying to display and what format? as its not given me any issues even picks it up from an xp user policy for me just a std jpg on server \\server\wherever\i\putit.jpg

Thank Post
    Just a standard jpeg, stored on server 2003, works with xp pro, the gpo is working as the background is shown briefly before log off. Is your background being shown without changing anything on the windows 7 computer? I haven't set up rsat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Just a standard jpeg, stored on server 2003, works with xp pro, the gpo is working as the background is shown briefly before log off. Is your background being shown without changing anything on the windows 7 computer? I haven't set up rsat.
    its the same policy that i apply to users with xp yes

Thank Post
    So why isn't mine working then, really fed up now! Did you have to alter anything on windows 7?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    So why isn't mine working then, really fed up now! Did you have to alter anything on windows 7?
    nope i wasnt expecting it to work and diddnt think to change it it just worked

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast