+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win7 clients not applying Group Policies or running logon scripts in Technical; We have a bit of an issue here in that some of our Win7 clients aren't mapping drives correctly, which ...
    Thank Post

Win7 clients not applying Group Policies or running logon scripts

We have a bit of an issue here in that some of our Win7 clients aren't mapping drives correctly, which is done through a logon script, and also don't seem to be applying group policies. This means that students have unfettered access to the machine, but also can't get online because the proxy details aren't being entered.

Some are working fine, and all machines have been imaged with Fog, so they're identical to one another. Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this, some sometimes work, and then sometimes don't. We enabled the 'wait for network to be ready at logon' setting in group policy in the hopes it would fix it, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect.

Help!

Thank Post
    We had this with a bad image did another one and was fine

Thank Post
    Although each PC is identical to the next in each classroom, there are a couple of different Windows 7 images in use throughout the school, and this behaviour isn't limited to one particular image.

Thank Post
    i had this a while ago turned out to be replication between Domain Controllers was not working.
    so depending which DC they connected to it either worked or didnt
    took ages to work out what was going on as AD changes were replicating for password changes

Thank Post
    Right now we only have one DC, too

Thank Post
    Anything in the Event viewer? This kind of thing can happen when the network cable is removed from a pc during logon, any chance that you have a huge amount of network traffic at this time and packets are getting lost?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Anything in the Event viewer? This kind of thing can happen when the network cable is removed from a pc during logon, any chance that you have a huge amount of network traffic at this time and packets are getting lost?
    A lot of kids would have to be unplugging a lot of network leads for that to be the case, so I doubt it's that, even with our lot! I had suspected bandwidth issues to be honest, because we use SynchronEyes a lot here, which does a lot of broadcasting, but I'm unsure how to check available bandwidth. I've used Wireshark, but all that does is tell me what's currently going on, and I don't really have any frame of reference to say "yes, that's a lot" or "no, that's normal". Is there anything out there that will just say "holy cow, you have no spare bandwidth!"

Thank Post
    You can view the amount of TCP retransmissions by using netstat -s -p tcp which will print the tcp stats for the current pc. Might give an indication if you are getting a lot of lost packets.

On wireshark I think TCP retransmissions are shown as black items in the list.

9. Thanks to Jamo from:

TheElusiveOrangeButton (7th July 2010)

Thank Post
    might be a switching issue try manually setting the network card on an affected pc to 10mb 1/2 duplex see if that helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    You can view the amount of TCP retransmissions by using netstat -s -p tcp which will print the tcp stats for the current pc. Might give an indication if you are getting a lot of lost packets.

On wireshark I think TCP retransmissions are shown as black items in the list.
    What kind of number should I be aiming for here? Obviously as close to 0 as possible, but as I said, I have no real frame of reference here as regards what is a lot and what is acceptable as far as retransmitted packets go.

For example, I just logged into my PC and I have the following:

Active Opens: 169
    Passive Opens: 0
    Failed Connection Attempts: 8
    Reset Connections: 15
    Current Connections: 5
    Segments Received: 3264
    Segments Sent: 2384
    Segments Retransmitted: 12

Thanks again for the help!

Thank Post
    Mine is:

TCP Statistics for IPv4
    Segments Sent = 128669
    Segments Retransmitted = 1098

I dont think there is a set amount as certain network activities cause huge traffic at certain times and packet loss is an inevitability. I think in a ball park 1 - 2% is good but I have no frame of reference apart from what I heard a chap from RM talk about!!! I have had a look on the internet in the past and people haven't really put a finite figure down. I guess becuase it varies.

I would try it on a machine that has just failed to map the drives etc and see what events are logged and see how many retransmissions there have been on that machine during that session.

Thank Post
    Back to basics - pull a machine out put it in a non-GPO OU - image it again run it up (using WDS?? sorry no your using FOG) then apply each GP to the OU in turn ... make sure it complies so that you know it is not loop or something.
    Also just thinking > If your server is not 2K8 (RC2 x64 even better) have you got an admin Win7 box with admin tools to write your GPO's??
    >assuming nice clean sys-prep'd images etc.. (maybe roll em out again ... students are probably creaming them any way)
    >assuming was working before (what changes have subsequently occurred)

You would need to give more details of your system for much more help - hope this drops some pennies for you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread