+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 OEM Media in Technical; I know that XP Pro OEM and XP Home OEM had different media and that all the various versions of ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 OEM Media

I know that XP Pro OEM and XP Home OEM had different media and that all the various versions of Vista were on the same media (the version actually installed depends upon the key entered during the installation). What about Windows 7 OEM media though? I've visited a number of High Street computer repair companies and asked them but they seem to be split 50/50. Some said that all the versions are on the same media (including 32-bit and 64-bit) but others said that there are specific disks for each of the versions and whether it's 32-bit of 64-bit.

The reason that I'd like to know is that a number of friends have Windows 7 systems and it's only a matter of time before one of them asks me to look at their system so I'd like a Windows 7 OEM installation disk. I'd hasten to add that I've seen the recent thread about purchasing the media with system-critical hardware and the supply companies that I use have Windows 7 OEM media. I've even asked them and they've provided a variety of responses similar to the High Street stores!

I just wonder if anyone here has experience of using Windows 7 OEM media. Finally, I'd add that I don't have any professional working relationship with any educational establishment.

Thank Post
    ive used my own retail media 64nit with a oem key on installs before with no issues BUT unlike vista the actual dvd IS locked (though not hard to unlock for pen drive based installs) to say pro or home basic etc

Thank Post
    That's a surprise sted - I never even thought about being able to use retail media with an OEM key! I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused though when you say that the DVD is "locked". Can you elaborate?

I've not played around with Windows 7 (yet) so, whilst I suspected there might be a way to install from a USB pen drive, I've not looked at it in detail. Again, do you have any tips?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    That's a surprise sted - I never even thought about being able to use retail media with an OEM key! I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused though when you say that the DVD is "locked". Can you elaborate?

I've not played around with Windows 7 (yet) so, whilst I suspected there might be a way to install from a USB pen drive, I've not looked at it in detail. Again, do you have any tips?
    the pro disk can only be used (without modifying) for pro home premium for home premium and so on (if you install from a flash drive then 1 file deleted and you can like vista choose what version you want to install)

ive used a usb pen created by someone else at work and it does seem faster but i just cba to make one i think mdt is a more elegant solution for work when i get time and for home i hope not to have to reinstall vista 64 was stable so i see no reason why win7 Which is basically the same) won be

Thank Post
    OK sted, I've been researching and it seems that all versions are on the DVD though there are separate DVDs for 32-bit and 64-bit. The file to delete is ei.cfg and it will give the option of which version to install. Obviously, the key has to match the version selected. It also seems that the ei.cfg file can be edited so the DVD (or bootable USB pen drive) can be used to install ONLY a specific (but different) version of Windows 7. One of the sites that I saw gave explicit details of copying the source files to a HD, editing the ei.cfg file then recreating the bootable DVD using imgburn.

I just need to get myself the installation media now ... I think I'll get the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the cheapest (I'm a Yorkshireman!).

Thank Post
    isnt windows 7 avaliable for download form ms as it can be installed and used for 30(i think) days without a code anyway as a trial?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    isnt windows 7 avaliable for download form ms as it can be installed and used for 30(i think) days without a code anyway as a trial?
    I've visited the DL site many times and it just does nothing, even if I leave it there for over an hour. I think that MS have taken it down but I'm surprised that they haven't put a message on there to confirm my suspicion.

Thank Post
    OEM Windows 7 media with the 'easy upgrade' option will come with both the 32bit and 64bit copys of Windows, the easy upgrade option means that the images for Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate will all be included.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    OEM Windows 7 media with the 'easy upgrade' option will come with both the 32bit and 64bit copys of Windows, the easy upgrade option means that the images for Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate will all be included.
    they are on the normal disk you just cant select them without editing it adding it to mdt shows all editions

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    If you would like to create a single DVD which will work with more than one OEM (and automatically activate Windows without connecting to the Internet), have a look here.

This DVD will only work on computers which were purchased from major OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer etc. with Windows 7 pre-installed. This is because these manufacturers have an agreement with Microsoft whereby they can pre-activate their Windows PCs by including special code in a specific part of the computer's BIOS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you would like to create a single DVD which will work with more than one OEM (and automatically activate Windows without connecting to the Internet), have a look here.

This DVD will only work on computers which were purchased from major OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer etc. with Windows 7 pre-installed. This is because these manufacturers have an agreement with Microsoft whereby they can pre-activate their Windows PCs by including special code in a specific part of the computer's BIOS.
    so basically making them like an xp style vlk code accepted end of?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    so basically making them like an xp style vlk code accepted end of?
    Effectively, yes (although only for PCs from big OEMs).

Another method I have used successfully in the past with Vista, is to backup the activation info prior to the re-installation of the OS using a program called Activation Backup & Restore and then restore it afterwards once Windows is up and running. This saves you from having to find an OEM specific installation DVD (since you can just use a normal Windows disc) or activate over the Internet/phone because this has already be done previously. When Windows prompts you for a serial number during installation, just skip that step. ABR will restore the one it backed up earlier.

Thank Post
    how legal/legit is it to make a multi oem disk (granted for me it will be 90% of the time hp with the odd fuji and for schools who dont listen acers )

Thank Post
    I know Microsoft would probably disagree, but I don't see an issue as long as all of the computers have licenses and COA stickers. All this disc would be doing is automating the process of installing the product key and digital certificate using slmgr.vbs (which can be done manually post-installation too). There are some things which you cannot do with OEM media though (such as re-imaging machines), but this shouldn't be one of them.

Another method you could use if you already have the original Windows installation discs from HP, Fujitsu and Acer is this one which will allow you to combine them into a single disc without making any modifications to the contents of each disc. I don't think even Microsoft could have an issue with this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I know Microsoft would probably disagree, but I don't see an issue as long as all of the computers have licenses and COA stickers. All this disc would be doing is automating the process of installing the product key and digital certificate using slmgr.vbs (which can be done manually post-installation too). There are some things which you cannot do with OEM media though (such as re-imaging machines), but this shouldn't be one of them.

Another method you could use if you already have the original Windows installation discs from HP, Fujitsu and Acer is this one which will allow you to combine them into a single disc without making any modifications to the contents of each disc. I don't think even Microsoft could have an issue with this.
    so im not supposed to make an image on one (for the sake of argument) compaq 610 laptop using (again for arguments sake) wds and then deploy it to another 12 meh. As far as i can see id agree im just using a quick way to deploy the pcs all have the correct oem sticker on

looks like i could also add the files to mdt and get that to deploy as a hp image ive copied the $oem$ to my pen drive and created a new win7 install stick and im going to try it next time i get chance as i hate phone activation esp for multiple pcs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast