+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Sync Center on 7 for restricted users in Technical; I'm trying to configure offline files on laptops and it seems that MS has changed things slightly to make it ...

Thank Post

Sync Center on 7 for restricted users

I'm trying to configure offline files on laptops and it seems that MS has changed things slightly to make it more transparent.

The 'new' way is using Sync Center but my restricted users cannot open it despite having the whizzy spinney logo on the taskbar

The message received is that the action cannot be performed due to restrictions in place on the computer.

I assumed that it may be a rogue GPO setting but I can find nothing and my Google/Bing skillz are failing me!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm trying to configure offline files on laptops and it seems that MS has changed things slightly to make it more transparent.

The 'new' way is using Sync Center but my restricted users cannot open it despite having the whizzy spinney logo on the taskbar

The message received is that the action cannot be performed due to restrictions in place on the computer.

I assumed that it may be a rogue GPO setting but I can find nothing and my Google/Bing skillz are failing me!

Why do they need to open Sync centre?

if you have the users docs redirected windows 7 will automatically sync them

our staff see the status of the sync center in the mobility center

c:\windows\system 32\mblctr.exe /open

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would still assume a messed up policy somewhere as our staff are under restricted user accounts and are still able to access Sync Center under Windows 7. We did have one user with a corrupted profile that was not able to get access with the same message as above but that profile was a Vista SP1 generated original one that had been around for 2-3 years and had been infected with and cured from several viruses in the past.

Thank Post
    @ravenadsl: I have a couple of users that have an incomplete sync of their documents. By opening Sync Center they can check on the sync progress.

@SYNACK: The question is which policy is stopping it? I've hunted high and low and there isn't one called 'Restrict access to Sync Center'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Ric_ have you tried it with a fresh profile to rule out corruption, short of this it is probably a case of trial and error to find the policy in question.

Thank Post
    The Mobility Center thingy that ravenadsl pointed me to is pretty trick and tells me enough information. I've discovered Windows+x is the keyboard shortcut too.

Thank Post
    Ric_, did you get a solution to this?

I'm having a problem on desktops with offline files disabled by GP. See my thread.

I have one user who uses both XP and Win7 desktops machines. She is getting sync problems - conflicts are causing files not to sync. Files are staying in the Win7 cache until the user resolves them. Except they can't resolve them as they can't access the sync center.

All our desktops have offline files disabled by GP. Despite this the Win7 machine insists on using offline files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I got them access to the sync center by moving the desktop machine to an OU set up for laptops with offline files. The main difference that I can see is that the machine is now getting the GP setting

Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature: Enabled

Users can now access the sync center and resolve the conflicts. (These are conflicts that shouldn't be happening in the first place).

Since posting, I've noticed that the user is a member of the local admins group, so this doesn't help the original query. Sorry!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread