+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, dvd drive ? Is this a Windows 7 RC problem? in Technical; I have had a look at my mate's computer and since he has put Win 7 RC on there (which ...
    Thank Post

dvd drive ? Is this a Windows 7 RC problem?

I have had a look at my mate's computer and since he has put Win 7 RC on there (which he had from his MSDNAA account since he doing a degree course and the university signed all students up.

He has installed Win 7 Ultimate RC on there and any DVD discs don't seem work, not just movies normally ones he created, and manufacture ones.

but when he had XP and when he went back to downgrade the dvd drive read dvd discs agin but not in Windows 7 Ultimate RC.

Is This a common problem? or firmware or driver? (it shows in device manager no problems)

but when dvd disc goes in the computer hangs till he takes the disc out

thanks in advance

Thank Post
    First of all, i'd be questioning why he's still running a Release Candidate copy of Windows 7. If he's got access to MSDNAA, then surely he should be able to download the RTM.

People using the RC were told a while back to upgrade to the RTM as soon as possible as the RC would eventually switch to Reduced Functionality mode (e.g. certain features become unavailable for use and a 2-hour limit before it blue screens and reboots AFAIK - similar to what someone might experience if they were not running with a genuine copy of windows) which might explain why he cannot access any DVD's within Windows 7.

The first thing he should try is obtaining and installing the RTM of Windows 7, since this might just solve his problem.

Thank Post
    erm i have to check i think it was a RC edition but since they were given during the MSDNAA, im sure he said that he only have access to what is availbel at the time the univerrsty gives him new students have accens to new stuff since my other mate as just started there but i think he see the diff list and well it activated with him the win7 did and it also did updates but no resatra fter 2 hours

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Not that familiar with windows 7 but am guessing you already updated the firmware on the dvd drive to latest revision and also when you are playing back the dvd's are you just power dvd, win dvd, VLC, windows media player classic or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    Try deleting the upper and lower filters.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyBeaky View Post
    Try deleting the upper and lower filters.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    This would be my guess as well, its not a W7 specific thing, it used to happen a lot when iTunes was installed on PCs with Vista and XP as well. Not really sure why it happens but removing the upper and lower filters usually sorted it.

Thank Post
    I have updated the DVD Drive Firmware but that reg entry wont delete and no other software is installed on this computer only windows 7 we evem have the same problem with windows 7 professional since we have installed so it seemed a windows 7 problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thank Post
    that reg entry wont delete
    Its is not clear from your post if you have tried deleting the upper and lower filters rather than the registry entry itself.
    Select the registry entry and in the right panel you’ll see “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” (both may not be there), click on each “filter” key and delete.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread