+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Printer Deployment So Slow! in Technical; We use Kix to deploy our network printers which deploys based on user, user group and then machine OU. On ...
    Thank Post

Question Printer Deployment So Slow!

We use Kix to deploy our network printers which deploys based on user, user group and then machine OU.

On the Windows XP machines which we still have running in our network, we have found that Kix runs through very quickly deploying the printers without an issue.

With Windows 7 however we are finding that printers are taking 2 minutes per printer to appear and sometimes the script is not even finishing before the end of the lesson.

We thought that we would investigate more by writing a new script with just the printers for one room in it and just run that script over the room, again it takes around 5 minutes per printer to map.

We have also written a small vb script to one room and tried this too, same results - xp machines are seconds, 7 machines are minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions, been playing with this for days now and am slowly going out of my mind!

Thanks, Ed.

Thank Post
    Found the same issue with con2prt, so now use GP preferences to deploy printers for Win 7 machines.

Thank Post
    I just use Deployment through Group Policy then default with group policy preferences, why not that way? the more vanilla the better!

Thank Post
    Having a GPO for every room isn't really a runner for us, also could never get it map printers to just user X using group policy unless someone knows how we can do this too?

Thank Post
    Having a GPO for every room isn't really a runner for us
    that is the beauty of GP preferences you don't need a policy for each room there are criteria you can add to the prefernces target to only apply printers to say computers starting with the name A1 then A2 and so on. I presume but have not tried you could even only deploy a printer for specific users or a group to a room using preferences.

An example of this is say our admin network which all the comps are in the same OU, however I only want to deploy 1 printer to the heads machine which no one else gets. The possibiliies using the targeting settings in preferences are endless or pretty much so.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 21st May 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    that is the beauty of GP preferences you don't need a policy for each room there are criteria you can add to the prefernces to only apply printers to say computers starting with the name A1 then A2 and so on. I presume but have not tried you could even only deploy a printer for specific users or a group to a room using preferences.
    Can you provide more information on this please?

Thank Post
    OK I have sucessed this now and deplyed a printer to computers with an OU - the issue is now that this one printer makes logon sit there for 5 minutes saying "Applying Group Policy Printers" or something along those lines - any ideas?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ect View Post
    OK I have sucessed this now and deplyed a printer to computers with an OU - the issue is now that this one printer makes logon sit there for 5 minutes saying "Applying Group Policy Printers" or something along those lines - any ideas?!
    Out of interest whats your print server running?

Thank Post
    It is 2008 R2,
    Printers are a mix of 2015n using its own Win 7 Driver,
    HP 2600n using its own driver
    and HP1320n using the universal hp drive.r

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ect View Post
    It is 2008 R2,
    Printers are a mix of 2015n using its own Win 7 Driver,
    HP 2600n using its own driver
    and HP1320n using the universal hp drive.r
    Did you use standard queues (tcp) or did windows try to stick them all on that new standard (cant remember its name)?

Thank Post
    I had set them all up on TCP

Thank Post
    I know this won't help but I had nightmares setting up printers with a whole load of problems like clients not downloading drivers and finding the right 64 bit and 32 bit, In the end I went all HP universal.

Thank Post
    We've tried that before, but had the same issue with that too

Thank Post
    I too have been having these problems, tried mapping the printers with GPO, Con2Print, and VBS scripts, the problem does not seem to matter what mapping method is used. We used Con2Print with our XP clients and the same print server for years with no issues, now that we've taken our computer labs to Win7 we have this problem. If we use GPO, the login time can vary anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, con2print the login is instant but the mapping process can again take 30 seconds to 5 minutes, though more often than not it fails on the mapping almost instantly and once it fails that workstation cannot connect to any printers off the printer server until it is rebooted (or the spooler server is bumped).

It almost seems like some kind of DNS or network problem. Our print server is 2k3 32bit, but I tried setting up a 2k8 64bit over the summer and the issue was even more pronounced. Just for experimentation's purpose, I tried running a 2k8 32 bit, and a 2k3 64 bit server as well, again the issue persisted, more pronounced from 2k8 servers.

The only variable that changed was taking our client workstations to Win 7 32bit from XP 32bit. I've dug all over the internet and found people with the same issues, but no real resolution.

Quite frustrating.

Thank Post
    We use Kix to deploy our network printers
    Odd that you have issues. I am using Kix to deploy to Win7 and its very fast. Wonder what the difference is?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast