+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Printer Deployment So Slow! in Technical; I had the same problem. The only way I manged to fix the long map times was to use all ...

Thank Post
    I had the same problem. The only way I manged to fix the long map times was to use all universall drivers as HP did not have any specific Win7 drivers for my printers, some of which are brand new expensive colour laserjets. I am still of the opinion that there is definatly a bug of some sort with Win7 in the way it handles printers as I was also having the problem of not being able to delete any printers that had been deployed using GP and vbs scripts, in the end I had to write a script that deleted them from the registry. Printing in Win7 can be a total nightmare.

Thank Post
    I had this issue, seems to be related to HP drivers, most probably the UPD. I think what helped with ours was (on the print server) renaming cioum32.msi to cioum32.bak, creating a zero byte file as cioum32.msi (you may need to stop the print spooler whilst doing this) within c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32X86\3

Try mapping one of the ones which uses the inbuilt Windows driver and compare the logon times, may confirm if the above is where the issue lies. If not, it may be point and print permissions.

Cheers

Will

3. Thanks to Willott from:

AngryTechnician (15th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Ours are all deployed using preferences and they all work fine EXCEPT for the ridiculously long time that the machines stay on 'applying printer policies'. We have identical printers and I am wondering whether to change the driver to the universal one if that would be quicker.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The universal and HP's w7 drivers have major issues. I would source as many printer drivers as possible from Microsoft Update Catalog (IE only) as that what we had to do. Basically HP's drivers (inc UPD) have a routine when they are installing the driver which requires user input, as its a logon process it is denied asking the question which holds the installer up until it times out which is why the logons are slow. The update catalogue drivers dont have this.
    Before changing drivers though it may be worth trying this: Windows 7 Gotchas/Tips/FYI as it seems to imply it will disable any of these elevations which could fix the issue but I have not revisited the upd/hp site supplied drivers yet to confirm.

Some thoughts on the UPD (although old version) Windows 7 Printers - HP UPD this time

6. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Zenden (11th March 2013)

Thank Post
    @ZeroHour - that's exactly what we're planning to do, however I wasn't sure whether Windows XP clients would be supported by that (teacher laptops are in the process of being upgraded... but obtaining a laptop to do work on it reminds me of "cold dead fingers"). Interestingly, the x64 machines seem to suffer less with this issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    @ZeroHour - that's exactly what we're planning to do, however I wasn't sure whether Windows XP clients would be supported by that (teacher laptops are in the process of being upgraded... but obtaining a laptop to do work on it reminds me of "cold dead fingers"). Interestingly, the x64 machines seem to suffer less with this issue.
    In regards to the UPD issue, it wont be a problem in XP or vista tbh as neither block the interactive routine where as w7 wont allow and interactive process access until your logged in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12