+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Mapping network drive via group policy fails in Technical; Hello, me again, I have sent in staff group policy \user configuration\preferences\windows settings\drive maps. The following setting Creat, Location: \serverip\sharename\ ...
    Thank Post

Mapping network drive via group policy fails

Hello, me again,

I have sent in staff group policy \user configuration\preferences\windows settings\drive maps. The following setting
    Creat,
    Lable: Sims
    Drive letter: S:

on the client computer when applying the poloicy for a member of staff errors with network path not found.
    I have tried with the servers name instead of IP

from the same client i can browse to the location and have read/write permissions. i can also manually map the network drive with the same settings

one thing to note,

the server im trying to map is attached to a different domain, there is a 2 way trust relationship between these domains so it shouldn't be a problem.....

im not required to authenticate if i manually browse to the share as there are permissions on the share for a group the user is part of

ajs

Thank Post
    I may be mistaken (and I do hope someone will correct me if I am) but I think the application of Group Policy settings runs in a different context than the user you're logging in as.

Unfortunately, I've no idea off the top of my head what context that is likely to be so I don't know what sort of Security Group etc you'd need to look at to get the Group Policy settings to talk to the server.

Sorry that isn't much help but hopefully it's better than a kick in the teeth!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I may be mistaken (and I do hope someone will correct me if I am) but I think the application of Group Policy settings runs in a different context than the user you're logging in as.

Unfortunately, I've no idea off the top of my head what context that is likely to be so I don't know what sort of Security Group etc you'd need to look at to get the Group Policy settings to talk to the server.

Sorry that isn't much help but hopefully it's better than a kick in the teeth!
    I did wonder myself if GP needed its own permission on the share so i set in the map drive policy to map the drive with a specific users credentials.

Sadley i had the same problems.
    thinking about it now i did use the same users credentials as i was logging it to test i will try administrator and see if that makes any difference
    will post back results in a min

Thank Post
    I have tryed with domain admin from both domains and still no joy. i will see if i can find out that security settings i might need to apply to the share if it connects as group policy and not the user

Thank Post
    Use a login script to map drives

Thank Post
    install "Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions" on the client PC's. That will fix it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread