+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Right Click crashes Explorer in Technical; Right Click crashes Explorer - Anyone else getting this? It seems (from a Google search) that it may be something ...
    theeldergeek

Right Click crashes Explorer

Right Click crashes Explorer - Anyone else getting this? It seems (from a Google search) that it may be something to do with the context menu on a right click, but I haven't conclusively confirmed this on my machine. I did apply a registry hack (which seemed to resolve it) but have since hit other issues, so not sure if the 'fix' worked.

Just interested to learn if anyone else has experienced problems?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Common problem with XP - haven't seen it on a 7 box yet.

Its most likely a shell extension, which would add something to the context menu - I've always found these really horrible to track down. If you know whats installed that creates shell extensions then reinstalling one by one till its resolved should show which it is.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Common problem with XP - haven't seen it on a 7 box yet.

Its most likely a shell extension, which would add something to the context menu - I've always found these really horrible to track down. If you know whats installed that creates shell extensions then reinstalling one by one till its resolved should show which it is.
    Must admit, don't recall having that problem on any of my XP installs, and it suddenly just 'appeared' on my new 7 install after I'd been using it a week or so.

There is a 'fix' for 7 (I'd imagine it works for XP) whereby you can 'tweak' the registry to disable parts of the context menu, and M$ have also got a bit of software that lists various parts of the registry which you can then disable by deselecting them. Sods law is that I can't recall where I found either of these 'fixes', but I Googled them when I found them, so I'll have to check my browser history.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 21st May 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Using ShellExView to disable the context menu item is a bit easier than editing the registry.

Autoruns can be used to delete the actual DLL used by the shell extension, although I would only do this if it came from a third-party program.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Using ShellExView to disable the context menu item is a bit easier than editing the registry.
    Thanks for this one, just used it and it cured my problem. Not entirely sure which item was the issue as I am a bit too rushed to spend time pinpointing it, but I just disabled all those I never use, and it cleared the problem. I suspect it was Briefcase, but further testing will be needed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread