Windows 7 Thread, Right Click crashes Explorer in Technical; Right Click crashes Explorer - Anyone else getting this? It seems (from a Google search) that it may be something ...
21st May 2010, 12:13 PM #1
Right Click crashes Explorer
Right Click crashes Explorer - Anyone else getting this? It seems (from a Google search) that it may be something to do with the context menu on a right click, but I haven't conclusively confirmed this on my machine. I did apply a registry hack (which seemed to resolve it) but have since hit other issues, so not sure if the 'fix' worked.
Just interested to learn if anyone else has experienced problems?
IDG Tech News
21st May 2010, 01:13 PM #2
Common problem with XP - haven't seen it on a 7 box yet.
Its most likely a shell extension, which would add something to the context menu - I've always found these really horrible to track down. If you know whats installed that creates shell extensions then reinstalling one by one till its resolved should show which it is.
21st May 2010, 04:21 PM #3
Must admit, don't recall having that problem on any of my XP installs, and it suddenly just 'appeared' on my new 7 install after I'd been using it a week or so.
Originally Posted by Domino
There is a 'fix' for 7 (I'd imagine it works for XP) whereby you can 'tweak' the registry to disable parts of the context menu, and M$ have also got a bit of software that lists various parts of the registry which you can then disable by deselecting them. Sods law is that I can't recall where I found either of these 'fixes', but I Googled them when I found them, so I'll have to check my browser history.
Last edited by theeldergeek; 21st May 2010 at 04:25 PM.
22nd May 2010, 10:53 AM #4
Using ShellExView to disable the context menu item is a bit easier than editing the registry.
Autoruns can be used to delete the actual DLL used by the shell extension, although I would only do this if it came from a third-party program.
28th May 2010, 11:49 AM #5
Thanks for this one, just used it and it cured my problem. Not entirely sure which item was the issue as I am a bit too rushed to spend time pinpointing it, but I just disabled all those I never use, and it cleared the problem. I suspect it was Briefcase, but further testing will be needed.
Originally Posted by Arthur
By SimpleSi in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Last Post: 31st January 2010, 02:02 PM
By SpuffMonkey in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
Last Post: 15th May 2009, 02:52 PM
By ninjapirate in forum EduSweep
Last Post: 28th April 2009, 02:58 PM
By TechSupp in forum Windows
Last Post: 17th March 2009, 06:49 PM
By Dean in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 25th February 2008, 09:49 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)