+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, New Mandatory profile setup problems in Technical; Ok I get getting on the windows 7 computers 'logged in with a temporay profile etc...' What would cause this ...
    Thank Post

New Mandatory profile setup problems

Ok I get getting on the windows 7 computers 'logged in with a temporay profile etc...'

What would cause this problem?

Way I set this up

Clean Install XP (No programs)
    Clean Install Windows (No programs)

Setup, Windows media player, ie8 settings, icon view settings, start menu settings, background

Both were done by the copy profile feature (Had to copy the windows 7 profile I customised to the default profile folder, so it would allow me to copy it, has you can only copy the deafult profile)

Permimited user I used 'everyone'

Shared folder has got everyone has read only, also put the groups students and staff for the folder permission, read only again. It is not a DFS folder, would that matter?

Xp profiles seems to work fine (Weird that I still get a box with it setting things up, think it was only the one thing it sets up through)

And windows 7 of course logs in with a temp account

Anyone know what would be the problem? Also loaded the hive in regedit and added the students and staff groups in it, that made no difference)

Please Anyone? This is getting on my nerves here

Thank Post
    for copying the profile download windows enabler makes the greyed out box when exporting win7 profiles usable so you can do profiles like on xp

Thank Post
    Ok seemed to have got this working, believe it or not it was caused by have a backslash at the end of the link

Applied to all the staff abd students at the end of the day, so hopefully we wont end any problems, but im still not happy with it at the moment, still too slow logging in

Ok some questions

1- How would I make this a local man profile instead of a network man profile, so it loads quicker, has it seems to be it is still slow

2- Why does the xp man profile come up with the configuring box setting new settings ie outlook (Think it only done two or three settings)

3- Problery a no to this.... Has you know when a user logs on, the user get a user folder, in the users folder.. Is it somehow possibe for the computer to be set so it uses a certain mantory profile and not create a user folder and the mantory profile folder... So basiclly the only thing that happens if folder redirection and group policy settings

4- Instead of using group policy to apply restrictions for the users, would it be possible to find a long list of registry entries that I could apply to a man account. Just seem stupid that the restrictions keeps geting applied everytime a user logs in, might has well have the restriction built into the man account, if you understand that? Want to logging in quick has possible.

Thanks In Advance
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 22nd April 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Thank Post
    1. Some people customise the default profile instead of using mandatory profiles, you can place the default profile on the network for common usage or on each PC.
    2. Appdata is in v2 profiles, not v1. This is why XP doesn't remember settings.
    3. Not sure what you mean here.
    4. You could look at this another way, XP has Steadystate (Free) and 7 could use Deep Freeze (costs). Both resets the system to default on restart. This means you don't need to worry about locking down a user. Each PC has a local policy which you could set instead of a group policy for everyone.

Thank Post
    1 copy profile to somewhere on c: and then set profile path to say c:\profiles\pupil.man should work but ive not tried it
    2 because it does i think its as it changes various bits to current user rather than the generic user the profile is built on
    3 i doubt it as if the profile wasnt in the right place/names etc id lay odds software would complain like mad, but group policy can delete them after use
    4 there is no reason why reg settings cant be exported from a user then saved and run at login but it seems a clumsy inelegant solution all you would need is to make all keys hkey current user and a batchfile regedit /s myjunk.reg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread