Poll: How do you map your printers?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, How do you map yours? in Technical; ...Printers, i've decided to do a poll to try and get some statistics towards how other people are doing theirs ...
    Thank Post

How do you map yours?

...Printers, i've decided to do a poll to try and get some statistics towards how other people are doing theirs as i currently do not know how i want to do mine and i have 2 months to make a final decision on how it will most likely stay for a few years

Currently we're using batch files for XP machines and im trying out Group policy assigned ones via the Server 2008 printer management route

If you don't know what i mean by the first two:
    On server 2008 with the print server role installed you can right click a printer and say Deploy via group policy but you can also manually create a GPO, add a shared printer to the user section of group policy preferences and set "loopback processing" (or whatever it was called) so that it applies to the machine OU rather than the user

If your applying printers directly to the users then your lucky, sadly i cannot do it that way
    Last edited by mrbios; 20th April 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I now use Group Policy Preferences to map them based on the PCs OU Location works great Although we seem to be starting with some of them not applying right, they stay in the room they should but there randomly appearing on the network elsewhere!? Such as SLT PCs and they hit print not checking and bang goes a confidential document to an IT Room

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    We have a legacy program from the days when the school had tulip pc's actually works quite well by matching the pc's location set in ad to the printers location - aslong as they match it adds the printer - when we move to 2008 i will return back to using group policy like at my last place

Thank Post
    Which method of group policy did/do you both use?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Currently I have both 2008R2 print console and Group Policy prefs in action to compare them.

Gotta say that GP prefs works really well and I would say its quicker than using the startup if you are using XP. Going to move everything to prefs.

Thank Post
    Also using GPP's to deploy printers here. Like john we deploy mainly based on computer OU and it works great for us

Thank Post
    I don't think i explained my poll very well, the second one is meant to be the GPP way, at least how i assumed you did it the GPP way... (policy with the shared printer set in GPP on user configuration but with loopback processing set so that it applies to the computer OU?) am i actually doing it wrong or is everyone selecting other because i didn't set it as GPP in the second one? :P

Thank Post
    We use some middleware from Burconix.

Thank Post
    Its the 2008 Group Policy Preferences I use where you set a printer as you describe as a Preference in Group Policy and set loop-back on it to force it to apply to users of that machine rather than just a user on its own.

Thank Post
    At the moment all printers are setup locally, i.e. via a TCP/IP port, got some sites that will be going over to group policy soon with a combination of a web page where users can select the printer from a list.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I don't think i explained my poll very well, the second one is meant to be the GPP way, at least how i assumed you did it the GPP way... (policy with the shared printer set in GPP on user configuration but with loopback processing set so that it applies to the computer OU?) am i actually doing it wrong or is everyone selecting other because i didn't set it as GPP in the second one? :P
    I've edited your poll so option 2 may make a bit more sense for people I hope

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I now use Group Policy Preferences to map them based on the PCs OU Location works great Although we seem to be starting with some of them not applying right, they stay in the room they should but there randomly appearing on the network elsewhere!? Such as SLT PCs and they hit print not checking and bang goes a confidential document to an IT Room
    You tried doing a "delete" all printers in GPP to delete any legacy printers - the printers could be carrying in the profile?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rh91uk View Post
    You tried doing a "delete" all printers in GPP to delete any legacy printers - the printers could be carrying in the profile?
    Shouldn't be a problem, its literally just randomly started on Monday for no apparent reason ! I'm thinking Windows update as I set a load free over Easter..... Before we moved to GPP we wiped all profiles, re-built mandatorys and wiped all PCs. We are shifting the profiles of affected users and it seems to stay fine for a day or two then it just magically apears , RSOP is not showing it applying either so very werid!

Thank Post
    rm cc4 here....

Thank Post
    I actually use the 2003 R2 print managerment/Group policy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast