+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 is deleting users home directories in Technical; ...
    TYO

Thank Post

Windows 7 is deleting users home directories

I need help with a very strange problem! We have replaced 7 of our Admin machines over to new HP's running windows 7.

Friday afternoon 1 user reports all of their files on their home directory are gone. Could have been user error??

Monday morning another 4 staff have the same problem. Going through the backups we can see 2 users did not have any files when the Friday night backup was done. Meaning 2 users lost their data late Friday afternoon and 2 must have lost their data first thing Monday morning because there data was there for the Friday night backup.

We did not have time to the test image as much as I would have liked to but it was pretty plain image with only office 2007 installed all patches and Symantec endpoint.

We have found two issues but I canít see how they would delete home directories.

First one was drive mapping conflicting during the log on script because the H drive was used by a memory card reader. remapping the memory card reader and drive mapping worked fine.

Second one was home directories just displaying as "documents" in \\*file server*\*share*\ rather than the login name before, however if you opened the documents folder, it is showing as \\*file server*\*share*\*user* and same within command prompt. Not sure if this just how windows 7 works but obviously we would like to see the login in the share and not just "Documents" for everyone.

Any help would be appreciated! I need to replace 8 more of these machines ASAP so I can use the old admin machines for a new primary IT area.

Thank Post
    I imagine it has something to do with this:

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

Take a read of that, try the method which alters security prividges for the desktop.ini file.

That's what has helped us through a similar issue.

Thank Post
    Ah i've not even read your post and im going to suggest my fix to this, luckily it was found out pretty quickly and before it caused any major damage:

Group policy > Folder redirection > Documents > Untick "Grant the user exclusive rights to documents" and "move the contents of documents to the new location"

Let me knowif that fixes it, or if you've already tried it

(Mine is set to "leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed" and also has "also apply to windows 2000....etc" ticked, with the target to "redirected evertions folder to the same location" and "redirect to the user's home directory")

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Ah i've not even read your post and im going to suggest my fix to this, luckily it was found out pretty quickly and before it caused any major damage:

Group policy > Folder redirection > Documents > Untick "Grant the user exclusive rights to documents" and "move the contents of documents to the new location"

Let me knowif that fixes it, or if you've already tried it

(Mine is set to "leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed" and also has "also apply to windows 2000....etc" ticked, with the target to "redirected evertions folder to the same location" and "redirect to the user's home directory")
    We're having the same issue with staff user areas vanishing on our 2008R2 terminal servers, and I haven't yet got to the bottom of it, I suspect it has something to with folder redirection and mandatory profiles. I do know when I unticked "grant user exclusive rights to documents" for our pupils (to fix another issue) it deleted their user areas. I haven't tried unticking both as suggested above though. I'm on leave now for tow weeks, but if I get chance I will remote in and try with a test account. At the moment pupils are okay and I have removed permission for staff to use the terminal servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TYO View Post
    I need help with a very strange problem! We have replaced 7 of our Admin machines over to new HP's running windows 7.

Friday afternoon 1 user reports all of their files on their home directory are gone. Could have been user error??

Monday morning another 4 staff have the same problem. Going through the backups we can see 2 users did not have any files when the Friday night backup was done. Meaning 2 users lost their data late Friday afternoon and 2 must have lost their data first thing Monday morning because there data was there for the Friday night backup.

We did not have time to the test image as much as I would have liked to but it was pretty plain image with only office 2007 installed all patches and Symantec endpoint.

We have found two issues but I can’t see how they would delete home directories.

First one was drive mapping conflicting during the log on script because the H drive was used by a memory card reader. remapping the memory card reader and drive mapping worked fine.

Second one was home directories just displaying as "documents" in \\*file server*\*share*\ rather than the login name before, however if you opened the documents folder, it is showing as \\*file server*\*share*\*user* and same within command prompt. Not sure if this just how windows 7 works but obviously we would like to see the login in the share and not just "Documents" for everyone.

Any help would be appreciated! I need to replace 8 more of these machines ASAP so I can use the old admin machines for a new primary IT area.
    We are also experiencing deleted home directories. One school which has received a couple windows 7 machines about once a week we have now seen a total of 4 students whose home folders are completely empty of all files and folders. The odd part to this is the user account has also been removed from the home folder. This is no longer a random (could be) user. This is a serious problem which we may have to stop all windows 7 deployments till resolved. Home folders are on a Windows 2003 R2 server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    We are also experiencing deleted home directories. One school which has received a couple windows 7 machines about once a week we have now seen a total of 4 students whose home folders are completely empty of all files and folders. The odd part to this is the user account has also been removed from the home folder. This is no longer a random (could be) user. This is a serious problem which we may have to stop all windows 7 deployments till resolved. Home folders are on a Windows 2003 R2 server.
    I've been testing Win 7 on a 2003 domain and on a TS/RDP Win2008 server, always with a test user. While testing it today, I found that the home folder hadn't been mapped, so I looked at the home folder share and, sure enough, the test user folder was missing. I took no notice other than to think that I might have deleted it myself during a test (highly unlikely, but you never know) so I recreated the folder. When I checked the permissions on this newly-created folder, there was an 'Unknown Account' entry, which I assume was the test account I'd been using. I manually added the correct user account, with Full Control, and the N: drive subsequently mapped to this folder.

After reading macdaddy's post, I'm delaying what I'd planned as a September roll-out of Windows 7 until I've ascertained the cause of the folder deletion, recreated the conditions under which it gets deleted and found a fix for it. Or Microsoft have.

To Be Continued.......as they say.

Thank Post
    We have been experiencing a similar issue to this, if a user drags or attempts to delete the Documents file it deletes everything off the server. Fortunatly this has happend once, let hope nothing else goes wrong.

Thank Post
    anyone igured out what to do about this?

I moved all over folders to a 2008r2 (i know 100% every folder)

seems some are missing now, gusse some got deleted somehow, any idea?

I chhecked when I finished, all folders had something in it

TYO

Thank Post
    made no changes but the problem seems to have resolved itself. We have a few more members of staff using desktops with the same image and no problem at all. also about 20 members of staff using laptops (a seperate image) and we have not had any problems at all. but now very hesitant in rolling out to student machines.

Thank Post
    Has anyone figured out the cause of the home Dir deletion? We re imaged our whole district with windows 7 and are have these issues with the few users that are coming back early. I can't seem to reproduce the issue in a test environment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsparker View Post
    Has anyone figured out the cause of the home Dir deletion? We re imaged our whole district with windows 7 and are have these issues with the few users that are coming back early. I can't seem to reproduce the issue in a test environment.
    On my 2008r2 terminal server it was down to profiles and folder redirection. I'm on leave now and can't remember the specifics though, sorry.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Had one user come today and say that some of her files have mysteriously vanished and they have been missing since we moved to W7, very strange its not whole folders and she is not the type to just delete them as she's very conciousness. We have roaming profiles here for staff and redirected documents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Had one user come today and say that some of her files have mysteriously vanished and they have been missing since we moved to W7, very strange its not whole folders and she is not the type to just delete them as she's very conciousness. We have roaming profiles here for staff and redirected documents.
    We had some very odd issues with whole home dirs going, and in some cases just folders/files. Not a pleasant place to be for us or the users!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    We had some very odd issues with whole home dirs going, and in some cases just folders/files. Not a pleasant place to be for us or the users!
    Any solutions other than better than ever backups (may have to increase snapshots on the SAN.....)

Thank Post
    I'm sure in another thread (perhaps im thinking of another forum) we came to the conclusion that it was just to do with the settings of the my documents redirection. the settings of "grant user exclusive rights" and "move contents to new location" need to be unticked, then it shouldn't randomly delete entire home directories

The situation i found with them was that if either or both of these were ticked and the user had a quota set on their folders but that quota was fairly full it wouldn't delete, but as soon as considerable space became available it would then delete the entire contents of a home directory. It would also delete the entire contents if no quota was set at all. Personally don't have a problem any more, hopefully you guys aren't having a problem any more complicated than that?

16. Thanks to mrbios from:

speckytecky (17th November 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast