+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 is deleting users home directories in Technical; @john, I can't remember exactly what. but mrbios is right with the tick boxes, I know I had to look ...
    Thank Post
    @john, I can't remember exactly what. but mrbios is right with the tick boxes, I know I had to look at profiles and folder redirection as well. I ended up creating a new policy in a test OU and once happy then going live.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just came here to post about this issue and found this thread.

We are having the issue of the staff user folders disappearing too. The policy I have set is to map their Documents/etc/etc folder to the the D: partition of their laptop HDD, so that nothing is on the C drive so it makes it easier for us to reimage the C: partition.

However, for about 7 out of our 30 windows 7 testing group, we have found that their user folder has Vanished from the server.

Further investigation has found that what has happened is the contents of their user folder, has been brought across to their laptop, and now resides in the Documents folder on the d: drive on their laptop...

I cant figure out what is doing this, and why its only effected 1/3 of the users...

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TYO View Post
    I need help with a very strange problem! We have replaced 7 of our Admin machines over to new HP's running windows 7.

Friday afternoon 1 user reports all of their files on their home directory are gone. Could have been user error??

Monday morning another 4 staff have the same problem. Going through the backups we can see 2 users did not have any files when the Friday night backup was done. Meaning 2 users lost their data late Friday afternoon and 2 must have lost their data first thing Monday morning because there data was there for the Friday night backup.
    Hi,
    I have a very similar issue with users files and folders disappearing. I am using folder redirection with Win 7 / Server 2008.
    Can you tell me if your file server is accessing shared storage via hardware iSCSI initiator and also local storage via software iSCSI initiator?
    I have this setup and have just come across vmware kb article 1012279 saying it is not supported.
    I have also moved the local storage connected via software iSCSI onto a different File Server and the disappearing folder problem went away.

Let me know if you had a similar storage setup.

Thank Post
    Seems what i thought fixed this hasn't getting random things cleared from teachers folders, only seems to apply to teachers though!! Students aren't having the problem

Both storage is in the same place, located on an iSCSI volume connected to the file server, the server is a single physical box, no vmware. Server is also running server 2008R2

Kids and teachers are both running mandatory profiles, teachers just have slightly more access than the kids.

The major difference, the bit that could be the cruncher, is that the kids all have quotas set while the teachers do not, i'm now going to set quotas on the teachers and see what happens (mwuahaha) but in the mean time if anyone gets any better suggestions please fire away!

Thank Post
    Offline files caused me a similar issue

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Offline files caused me a similar issue
    Can you go into a bit more detail about the Offline files.

Thanks

Thank Post

Sorry to say. . . .

We are having the same issue here, we are having to restore upto 15 students a day, no staff members as yet.

It started off as one or two, and is now increasing. Where will it end...

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    Favourite Quote: - It will be easy, we have 6 weeks to do that. . .

8. Thanks to mijenk from:

altonPM (15th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I think this is something to do with a combination of folder redirection, libraries and the fact that documents is now a master directory to incorporate my music, pictures etc as with xp. As has been mentioned, it appears that you can sort it using group policy. I have noticed that my area became a documents share on the server, and i also lost all the files in my area as well....the folders remained, however, just empty :-(.

Yet to address the issue as of yet, as i havent got my 2003 servers configured to accept the admx templates using the central store.

Thank Post
    A bit more info on what i have been experiencing.....

So far it is only Students that are having thier Home folders or Files deleted and not Teachers.
    Both GPO's have the same setting EXCEPT for the 'Target folder location'.
    Here are the folder re-direction settings on each of the GPO's.

Students
    Setting: Basic - Re-direct everyone's folder to the same location
    Target folder location: Redirect to the user's home directory
    Unticked both 'Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents' and 'Move the contents on My Documents to the new location.
    Policy Removal - Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed.

Teachers
    Same as above except for,
    Target folder Location: Redirect to the local userprofile location

I only just picked up on the two different settings for target folder location.
    Does anyone know if this may be why the teachers have not experienced any problems yet but the user's have?

Thanks in advance for the response!

11. Thanks to keatho from:

altonPM (15th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quotas definately impact this in some way, since setting quotas on the teachers home folders i've not had any problems with them getting deleted. Students have never been a problem and they have always had quotas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Quotas definately impact this in some way, since setting quotas on the teachers home folders i've not had any problems with them getting deleted. Students have never been a problem and they have always had quotas.

I've just checked and are there are no quota's set for either the Teachers or Students. I might try setting quota's on both to see what happens.

Also, I have two 2003 Domain Controllers and one 2008 Domain Controller. It could be that when the students use the 2008 DC as their logon server, the GPO settings could be slightly different to what they pick up from the 2003 DC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    15 users a day?! How many lessons ruined is that?

I'd call microsoft and ask for help. At 199 it should be an easy sell to management.

Thank Post
    I can't believe that I *just* found this website! So, we are having the same issue - lots of home folders being deleted, quite randomly, by Windows 7. I have an active Tech Support case open with Microsoft and my Account Rep just moved it to a Premier Support Case because the lower-level techs haven't found a solution. The case has been open for nearly 4 weeks, so I believe it is either a bug in Windows 7 or some application is deleting the home folders. The deletion happens on login.

A few things have helped, like turning off IPv6.

I also created a workaround, which was a PowerShell script to prevent users from deleting their own folder by resetting their NTFS security ACL. That did work, but I later removed the workaround so that we could continue to try to pin down the problem - I didn't want a band-aid solution, particularly one that requires a custom script.

Additionally: we ARE using offline files (and I want to use that feature). We DO NOT have quotas.

I also manage this daily through a PowerShell script which compares home folders to AD student accounts. I run it every couple of hours and it tells me if folders were deleted, so I can restore them and move on. With Volume Shadow Copies turned on, it's easy to restore the files ... but we are also a small district.

I am running into this between 2-5 times per day at this point. It was 10-20x/day at he beginning, so some of the measures I've taken (mostly, turning off IPv6) have helped.

I also resolved the "My Documents" issue via a PowerShell script - by changing the security on desktop.ini so that Administrators don't have read-access to that file. At least then I can see the whole list of user folders by name from the server share. Another admin I know has a logout script which deletes the desktop.ini file at logout.

Wow, I am so happy to have found this forum with other school tech people! We have a great email list in New Hampshire, but it's comforting to see others in other parts of the world who are having the same issues.
    Last edited by altonPM; 15th October 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add info

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi AltonPM,

Welcome aboard. Sound like you've got quite slick at reverting the unwanted changes that some here are experiencing. If anyone else wants to raise a ticket, they may find it helpful to reference yours so that MS might get an appreciation of the scale of the problem in schools.

I'm just about to begin developing a Windows 7 based system, and would quite like this problem to get fixed before I encounter it first hand! Please let us know what MS manage to do for you.

P.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Hi AltonPM,

Welcome aboard. Sound like you've got quite slick at reverting the unwanted changes that some here are experiencing. If anyone else wants to raise a ticket, they may find it helpful to reference yours so that MS might get an appreciation of the scale of the problem in schools.

I'm just about to begin developing a Windows 7 based system, and would quite like this problem to get fixed before I encounter it first hand! Please let us know what MS manage to do for you.

P.
    It's all about sharing!

My Microsoft Support Incident number is 110092159909810 - in case this is helpful to anyone in the future. They elevated the case a day ago, so I am waiting anxiously to speak to "the experts".

-Pam

I'm also posting here my PowerShell script which compares AD accounts in a specific OU to Home Folders - obviously, this script needs to be customized for other environments. I run PowerShell on a Win 7 workstation - and I've enabled the PowerShell Active Directory module first via RSAT (see How to Install the Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell )

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    # 1. get users from AD Students container, loop through them
    $theUsers = Get-ADUser -Filter {(Enabled -eq "True")} -SearchBase "OU=StudentAccounts,OU=Students,OU=Accounts,DC=alt on,DC=school,DC=com"
    write-host $theUsers.count enabled users found
    $folders = Get-ChildItem S:\

# 2. for each user, does the home folder exist?
    foreach ($user in $theUsers)
    {
    #write-host $user.Name , $user.sAMAccountName
    $userHome = $user.sAMAccountName
    #does the home folder exist?
    $userFolderExists = Test-Path S:\$userHome
    if ($userFolderExists -eq "True") {
    #skip
    } else {
    write-host No home folder for user $userHome , $user.Name -fore darkblue
    }

}

18. 2 Thanks to altonPM:

psydii (20th October 2010), speckytecky (17th November 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast