+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 and XP Mandatory Roaming Profiles in Technical; Hello I'm beginning to lose the will to live...............help!!! We are replacing a suite of computers with windows 7 machines ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 and XP Mandatory Roaming Profiles

Hello

I'm beginning to lose the will to live...............help!!!

We are replacing a suite of computers with windows 7 machines
    At the moment students have a mandatory roaming profile which works fine for XP machines
    Anybody got a definitive solution as regards running Win 7 and XP on same domain and using mandatory roaming profiles
    after a couple of weeks looking in to it im a bit confused to be honest
    I have googled and there seems to be a bit of a "heated debate" surrounding the creation of mandatory profiles in win 7
    anybody managed to implement it in there school if so how did you manage it?

Cheers

Thank Post
    its basically the same as xp. Log on as a user without a profile and create one on a pc then export it to the server just call it pupil.man.v2 (assuming your normal mandatory is pupil.man) rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man and away you go. start menus a bit of a pain to find iirc it its profile\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu

if the copy button is greyed out download windows enabler Download Windows Enabler 1.1 - The program allows the user to enable disabled windows and controls such as buttons and tick boxes - Softpedia

i have a minor issue atm with smartboard but its just an error message that goes away with no obvious consequences

3. Thanks to sted from:

speckytecky (19th November 2010)

Thank Post
    we've gone down the redirected folders route with permissions / GPO's to lock things down for XP so when we start to look at 7 it should in theory be the same

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies
    So it appears nobody knows how to create windows 7 mandatory profiles the "microsoft way" .
    I've tried WAIK and unatteded.xml files got more errors than i can care to mention.
    I dont want to go down the folder redirection route just yet so ill try the windows enabler as mentioned by sted (why is the copy to button greyed out anyway its always worked for previous versions of windows)
    see how it goes next week
    Ill post my results
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Follow these steps - Windows 7 – Unable to Copy a User Profile - Windows Live

We have used it, it works fine. Keep the folder the same name as the XP mandatory profile except this one will have the .v2 on the end.

7. Thanks to _Adam_ from:

3s-gtech (15th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post

We have used it, it works fine. Keep the folder the same name as the XP mandatory profile except this one will have the .v2 on the end.
    How do you manage to edit the NTuser.dat file - as far as i can see there isnt one?

IGNORE ME IM BEING AN IDIOT! I HAD IT SET TO HIDE SYSTEM FILES
    Last edited by glennda; 18th November 2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: me being an idiot!

Thank Post
    Im having a bit of trouble with this.
    I have a new built Windows 7 Machine, I made a domain user called ''Profile'' ajusted the Desktop and start menu and so on then I logged on as a Domain administrator on the PC and copied my profile called ''Profile'' to the \\Domain\Netlogon\StudentProfile.v2\ and allowed Everyone permission, once copied to the DC i changed the permission from Everyone to Read,List Folder Contents and Read and Execute ONLY. Then I changed the NTuser.DAT to NtUSer.MAN added a test folder to the desktop and start menu called TEST added the profile to the user TEST13 in AD and it still doesnt work.

Any Advice on this please!?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Have you changed the permissions for the ntuser.man itself? You cannot do this as an NTFS entry from righ-click/Security, you have to load the hive into Regedit, change the permissions to Everyone in there, then unload the hive again - otherwise you will get errors when trying to log on.

Thank Post
    Ah no I didnt do that, Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thank Post
    Hmmmm, nothing set in stone - I completely ignored all the proper guides on how to create the profile, as it involves using sysprep which is a silly idea. So:

Open regedit
    Click File-->Load Hive
    Select the ntuser.man file
    Give it a name just for now - this is just to identify it until you unload it. Call it ntuser or something.
    Right click the root of the new hive.
    An NTFS style Security tab should be available. Use this to set the permissions as with any folder.
    You can have a little run though the registry settings at this point, making some tweaks and changes if you know what you're doing.
    Click on the ntuser hive when finished, and go File-->Unload hive
    Try your profile.

13. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

koryo (23rd November 2010)

Thank Post
    I used to COPY TO for the files to go to the DC/Netlogon, and used that Windows Enabler

Thank Post
    So Im opening Regedit on DC/Netlogon Server, no the PC im pulling the profile from

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post

This is the way i have done it in the past.

By the way its just called a Mandatory profile. Roaming profiles are different. No such thing as a Mandatory Roaming profile

Thank Post
    When I go to File Load HIVE, its greyd out. Which folder do I need to Click on, or do I Import it?

Thank Post
    ok iv tried it with Load HIVE. still doesnt pull the profile. the test folder i have in the profile doesnt pull over

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast