+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 and XP Mandatory Roaming Profiles in Technical; Originally Posted by fiza Just started looking at this - Is it possible to have a mixed environment with XP ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Just started looking at this - Is it possible to have a mixed environment with XP and WIN 7 where staff have roaming profiles? Is it better to ditch roaming profiles and just have everything redirected? Will that work when they log into XP machines?
    with a bit of fiddling yes ive got it running at one school everybody uses local profiles and i redirect start menu docs etc depending on what version of windows the pc is its a bit of a pita to set up but works

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    with a bit of fiddling yes ive got it running at one school everybody uses local profiles and i redirect start menu docs etc depending on what version of windows the pc is its a bit of a pita to set up but works
    That sounds exactly what i'm looking for, how were you able to determine the OS? Did you split your AD structure to windows 7 / xp and have seperate policies applying to each or some other method?

We're planning to roll windows 7 out to 900 pc's or so over the summer leaving about 3000 on xp, staff and students will transfer between xp and windows 7. At present all staff and students are on mandatory xp profiles. The plan is to create one mandatory profile that will function between windows 7 and xp without issues (is this possible using the one profile path?), the profile path for staff will be removed with the intent to use folder redirection. Should app data be included in the redirection or will this cause problems moving between machine types?

Any suggestion's / tips for this?

Thank Post
    depends on the schools to start with i split pcs into different ou's now i just use wmi filters on pc/user policies

gernerally speaking i have a broad works on any policy then do teh win7/xp exclusive bits inn their own policies

yes the same profile path for mandatory works for xp and 7 you just need to give your win7 profile the same name as your xp one with .v2 at the end

personally i dont redirect app data

Thank Post

Lightbulb

I am a K-5 computer teacher in process of migrating my primary school computer lab from XP to Win 7.
    I use mandatory profiles for the students in the computer lab.

I found that implementing mandatory profiles for Win 7 was a bit of a puzzle.
    I tried the sysprep method , but it was overly complicated and I tired of troubleshooting the errors and then realizing that even when I got it working, sysprep had trashed all my carefully crafted custom settings.

I tried the Win Enabler method to force the enabling of the profile dialog box "Copy to" button to work, but in the end I opted for a more organic and manual copy method.

After googling and experimenting for a few days I got mandatory profiles with Win 7 working well in my mixed client platform ( XP / Win 7) computer lab without using sysprep or third party tools.
    I am using Server 2003 R2.

Here are the basic steps:

1) Create the ideal default user profile using a local administrative account.
    2) Using a different local admin account, rename original default profile "OLD-default" . Rename the newly created profile "default"
    3) Use regedit to configure the new default user profile for use by any user.
    4) Copy modified default user profile to a network share - Add .V2 extension to profile folder name.
    5) Rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man to create mandatory (read only) profile.
    6) In ADUC - Set user's paths to network location of new default mandatory profile.

I cobbled this information together from various bits of info I found while googling.
    I worked out the steps for my own use and documented my efforts with screenshots and explanations.
    At the time I write this, it is still early in the school year and all of these steps seem to be working just fine.
    However, it is always possible when working with these things that there are "gotchas" waiting to be discovered.

I am combining these mandatory profiles with a bit of folder redirection in a GPO for user docs, music, images, videos, and downloads.
    I have briefly tested with several user accounts and I haven't had any issues with temp profile loading errors, weird folder behaviours, corrupted recycle bins, access denied errors, printing problems or taskbar icon issues.

In short, everything seems to be working.

I present my documentation here as part or all of it may be of use to someone else trying to implement mandatory profiles with Win 7.

Have a look:

A Windows 7 Mandatory (roaming) Profile Solution that Works Without Sysprep

5. Thanks to Oakie from:

Iosoma (24th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thats a fantastic resource, thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234