+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 HDD Spec in Technical; Originally Posted by Jamo Not sure about a 256MB drive, might be pwned by anything but Win3.1 lol Would load ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Not sure about a 256MB drive, might be pwned by anything but Win3.1 lol
    Would load Windows 3.11 damn quick though

Yeah, might be worth going for the 256 GB option instead

Thank Post
    Was just looking at the prices at SSDs and I see the price has gone down since last i looked (which was a while ago). Still expensive mind but I think i might get one myself.

Thank Post
    My brother bought one and the difference is insane, it really surprised me how much more responsive the whole OS felt when doing normal tasks.

He did buy a second and RAID0'ed them together but the performance dropped, was something to do with the nVidia chipset on the mobo if i remember always worth checking before buying

4. 2 Thanks to Jamo:

apeo (24th March 2010), danrhodes (24th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    My brother bought one and the difference is insane, it really surprised me how much more responsive the whole OS felt when doing normal tasks.

He did buy a second and RAID0'ed them together but the performance dropped, was something to do with the nVidia chipset on the mobo if i remember always worth checking before buying
    Yeah I intend to have it as the OS drive. Hmmm thanks for the caution, didnt even think the raid controller would cause it to slow down.

Thank Post
    I think it may have only affected this particular board as I know some people have had success with RAID0 with them. Still even one drive should be damn fast.

Thank Post
    I can vouch for it being mind blowingly quick from the laptop experiment I did with 2 SSD drives in RAID 1. XP O/S loaded in seconds, was extremely responsive in what ever you did, it really removes any bottlenecks.

D

Thank Post
    The logic re: RAID1 and faster read times as explained to me was that the controller could read different sectors off two drives simultaniously, thus increasing read speed.

I don't know if that was an inaccurate statement of fact by the individual concerned, I've always worked on the basis that RAID1 is slower for both read and write, I'm just curious for the bottom line on this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pwds View Post
    The logic re: RAID1 and faster read times as explained to me was that the controller could read different sectors off two drives simultaniously, thus increasing read speed.

I don't know if that was an inaccurate statement of fact by the individual concerned, I've always worked on the basis that RAID1 is slower for both read and write, I'm just curious for the bottom line on this.
    From the ever reliable Wikipedia

Mirrored set without parity or striping. Provides fault tolerance from disk errors and failure of all but one of the drives. Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, as well as a very small performance reduction when writing. Array continues to operate so long as at least one drive is functioning. Using RAID 1 with a separate controller for each disk is sometimes called duplexing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pwds View Post
    The logic re: RAID1 and faster read times as explained to me was that the controller could read different sectors off two drives simultaneously, thus increasing read speed.
    This feature depends on the controller used. Not all of them support streaming reads. Even when they do the performance improvement isn't that great particular for normal desktop workloads.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    Raid 0 is faster but depends how important that data stored on this machine, is stick to what you got, what is the spec of the rest of the machine?
    Only by about 2-3%. Given that you double your chances of drive failure with RAID 0 it's just not worth the risk IMO. An SSD would be a much better upgrade.

Bottom line: RAID-0 arrays will win you just about any benchmark, but they'll deliver virtually nothing more than that for real world desktop performance. That's just the cold hard truth. (Source).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123