+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Very Weird Redirected Documents Problem in Technical; Hi Guys Had to make a new user today and transfer his old work to his new redirected folder. When ...
    Thank Post

Very Weird Redirected Documents Problem

Hi Guys

Had to make a new user today and transfer his old work to his new redirected folder. When I went into the folder that all the redirected documents are I found that there was quite a lot of folders called 'My Documents' not actual labled has the username name. What makes it even more weird, is that you cant normally have folders the same name.

Any idea why this would be happing, could it be something logging into Windows 7

Thank Post
    When 7 connects to the network with a user who's My Documents are redirected (the XP way), 7 renames their folder "Documents". It does that for all users, so you end up with folder full of folders saying "Documents" instead of their names like it was when XP uses them. The ones that are still named the old way, are users that haven't logged onto a 7 machine yet. 7 knows which ones are which and XP picks up the right ones as well.

Thank Post
    It's actually just a desktop.ini file inside the folder, it retains it's name. You just can't see it as easily with anything that reads the desktop.ini file (Vista, 7, R2). I'm sure you can turn off windows reading the file but I've not looked yet as my redirects all go to a subfolder of the users area so I don't notice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy08 View Post
    When 7 connects to the network with a user who's My Documents are redirected (the XP way), 7 renames their folder "Documents". It does that for all users, so you end up with folder full of folders saying "Documents" instead of their names like it was when XP uses them. The ones that are still named the old way, are users that haven't logged onto a 7 machine yet. 7 knows which ones are which and XP picks up the right ones as well.
    Yep, but it's bleeding worrying when you first see it - I had one of those "Oh cr@p what's happened now moments when I first saw it"!!! Think it was actually with Vista redirections rather than 7, though we do have 7 now.....

Thank Post
    Windows 7 definitely does it, as I found myself in a similar situation, but I realised immediately it was desktop.ini, and it is a pain.

Thankfully manually deleting that in the My Documents root does fix it, but I have not been brave enough yet to figure out a way to automate this using GPPs. I think there is a article in the Windows 7 gotchas list, but haven't tried implementing any of that yet.

Thank Post
    Thank good thats still actually works then, havent had any users saying they can not find their work

Thats lucky then

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread