+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Cant run HTML files anywhere but from FAVORITES folder? huh. in Technical; Hmmm.. I'm baffled. I have just unboxed 4 new dell computers with Win7 of various models. 3 of the 4 ...

Thank Post

Cant run HTML files anywhere but from FAVORITES folder? huh.

Hmmm.. I'm baffled.

I have just unboxed 4 new dell computers with Win7 of various models.
    3 of the 4 machines are Latitude E5400's and I have 2 of them set up and to their users.
    BUT... I've just noticed on those 2 machines that when you try to launch an HTML shortcut
    from the desktop or other location on the C: drive, that IE comes up with a white screen and never
    shows anything.

If I manually start IE, and go to FAVORITES (where these shortcuts came from originally) they run
    just fine.
    Huh.

I've taken my 3rd Latitude E5400 out of the box since finding out about this and have been going
    thru my normal setup step by step, and I can not get this one to fail like the other two are doing.

This is quite annoying.

All users of all machines have Administrator rights on the machine, so its not anything to do with
    permissions.

I've tested our McAfee software that we load on the machines (before & after the install of it) and it is not that software that is causing the problem.

It has nothing to do with all the preloaded crap software that Dell loads on...

Any ideas what to look for?

I tried googling this and either just didnt find the right keywords or there just isnt much out there on this.

Thank Post
    more....

When I run one of these shortcuts, the tab at the top of the IE page just says "Connecting..."
    If I go to the Favorites folder and click on an icon for a DIFFERENT site, the site (Internal or external) the site comes up just fine... If I click on the Favorite of which I'm trying to currently load, it doesnt load and continues to hang.

If I start IE off the start menu, and not thru a shortcut for a particular page, I can then click on FAVORITES and click on the entry for the one that was just giving me problems, and it loads up just fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread