+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Solve this, windows 7 libraries/redirection in Technical; Perhaps this is a known issue, perhaps i've done something wrong, the image below will explain all: All the folders ...
    Thank Post

Solve this, windows 7 libraries/redirection

Perhaps this is a known issue, perhaps i've done something wrong, the image below will explain all:

All the folders redirected to the users home folder (desktop is a DFS share students dont have write access to) all those have worked, except it's created a second folder for each of them pointing locally >_< i don't want these local folders, how do i get rid of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    I think this happens if you don't choose 'move the contents of the folder' in the redirection, which means the original folders are left behind. They were left behind in XP as well, they just weren't as obvious in Explorer.

You have two options: either use the 'move the contents of the folder' option, or use Group Policy Preferences/login script to ensure the old folders are deleted.

Thank Post
    Fixed it, when creating the mandatory profile folder i had copied over the XP folder structure into the .v2 folder which obviously was wrong, im a bit unsure as to wether ive created the mandatory profile correctly though considering the only contents of the folder is the ntuser.man file .. seems to be working ok though

Thank Post
    Ok i still have a slight problem, i've got rid of all of the folders except the AppData folder still exists as a local one, appdata roaming is redirected but local and locallow are still hanging around, i've tried setting up a group policy folder preference set as update and change that folder to a hidden folder

Now this works if i do c:\users\93test\appdata but if i try C:\users\%userprofile%\appdata it doesn't work, any idea how i would get this working so that it hides it for any user?

Thank Post
    %userprofile% has the C:\users\ bit in it, in your thing its doing c:\users\c:\users\USERNAME\appdata

6. Thanks to Arcath from:

mrbios (2nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    OF COURSE! what an idiot i am, cheers arcath

Thank Post
    A new issue has arisen, i've sort of got a half workin libraries now, disabling it completly appears to break other functionality so i've opted for only removing it's links from the explorer window and hiding everything else to it from GP, the new issue is this:

Saving a document (in anything) and selecting the user folder on the desktop (the root libraries folder which is named after the users username) i can see what i want in there and everything redirects correctly except for one issue.. i can save to the root of it, example attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    As well as the above issue i have another question, with redirected start menus how do i pin items to the main section of the start menu (before going across to the programs list)?

Thank Post
    I am also having trouble with the saving of files to the root of the user folder (as per your image) and haven't yet found a solution. Temporarily bypassing the problem by disabling Libraries alltogether (as documented a couple of times here on edugeek ) and enabling "user config \ policies \ admin templates \start menu and taskbar \ remove user folder link from start menu in" Group Policy to remove the link to the folder in the start menu.

I have done some googling about the pinned items in the start menu (and the new win7 taskbar) and haven't had much luck unfortunately. All I could find was this --> The Deployment Guys : Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

There should be Policies for this kind of thing! Microsoft needs to get it sorted ASAP and give us more GPOs to configure Win 7. Does anyone know if we can expect this kind of update? I dont really like the idea of using Reg Hacks and Patching to Get our New Win7 Machines working (just bought 120 of them!).

11. Thanks to Zenden from:

AngryTechnician (4th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenden View Post
    There should be Policies for this kind of thing! Microsoft needs to get it sorted ASAP and give us more GPOs to configure Win 7. Does anyone know if we can expect this kind of update? I dont really like the idea of using Reg Hacks and Patching to Get our New Win7 Machines working (just bought 120 of them!).
    There are many many new GPOs for Windows 7, Start Menu pinning just isn't one of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    There are many many new GPOs for Windows 7, Start Menu pinning just isn't one of them.

Fair Play, See your point there! but its more the libraries feature which has ticked me off!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenden View Post
    I am also having trouble with the saving of files to the root of the user folder (as per your image) and haven't yet found a solution. Temporarily bypassing the problem by disabling Libraries alltogether (as documented a couple of times here on edugeek :) ) and enabling "user config \ policies \ admin templates \start menu and taskbar \ remove user folder link from start menu in" Group Policy to remove the link to the folder in the start menu.
    I've finally sorted this one!
    Using group policy preferences > create Registry key

Add this: "icacls %userprofile% /deny "%userdomain%\%username%":(WD,AD,WDAC)"

To here:
    Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

And then add a logoff script containing:
    icacls %userprofile% /remove:d "%userdomain%\%username%"
    icacls %userprofile% /grant "%userdomain%\%username%":(W,AD)

That stops people from writing there and even pops up with a box asking them if they wish to save to the %Username% folder within (the one redirected to the root of the home drive! :D)

15. Thanks to mrbios from:

Miscbrah (21st August 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread