+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Annoying Problem & Questions (Have W7 Installed On 82 Computers Now, Getting There!) in Technical; When I was setting up the start menu redirection every shortcut on the start menu didnt want to work. Has ...
    Thank Post

Annoying Problem & Questions (Have W7 Installed On 82 Computers Now, Getting There!)

When I was setting up the start menu redirection every shortcut on the start menu didnt want to work. Has every time I clicked on a shorcut, it did not lanch the program, instead it done nothing.

I managed to fix this problem by putting the shortcuts into a folder.

So every time I click on the startmenu, I have to click a folder called software.

The other annoying part of the problem is for some reason on the start menu, this folder shows up twice.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Also would you recommend me making a msi to deploy a mantory profile to the root of the hard drive? So this will speed up logons on wireless computers and I suppose networked computers

How about doing that to the start menu too? Would that sort my problem out?

Also about mantory profiles, is it possible to make it so it has had the restrictions applied to it already? So I would not need staff or student policys enabled (Of course will need a policy for their network documents folder to be redirected)

Also on our current xp student policy we are using (Have made a refreshed one, need to test it out) we have stuff like internet content and intent restriction etc enabled, is there really a need to have all that set, can I leave that out on the new one?)

On our domain image, it has been setup to logon once and add to the domain with a power shell script and then reboot.

Sometimes this seems to work, but most of the time it doesn't, for example I installed it on 32 computers, all of them did not join to the domain, still on the work group, any ideas why it would do this?
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 2nd February 2010 at 10:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also about mantory profiles, is it possible to make it so it has had the restrictions applied to it already? So I would not need staff or student policys enabled (Of course will need a policy for their network documents folder to be redirected)
    im not sure what you mean but a mandatory profiles are read only so im not sure what you mean about restrictions

if you mean setting up a custome profile for all staff to use. then what you can do is create a local user account name i dunno called staff make the changes on what you want the desktop to look like and then copy the profile to a share folder on your domain and then setup the permissions to and then once it has copied over change the ntuser.dat to a .man AKA mandantory and then change the path on the staff profiles to point to that folder

\\servername\staff\profiles

Also on our current xp student policy we are using (Have made a refreshed one, need to test it out) we have stuff like internet content and intent restriction etc enabled, is there really a need to have all that set, can I leave that out on the new one?)
    not sure what you mean ?? internet filtering ???

On our domain image, it has been setup to logon once and add to the domain with a power shell script and then reboot.
    your doamin image ?? asin ghost image or virtual image

Sometimes this seems to work, but most of the time it doesn't, for example I installed it on 32 computers, all of them did not join to the domain, still on the work group, any ideas why it would do this?
    not sure what you mean??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    When I was setting up the start menu redirection every shortcut on the start menu didnt want to work. Has every time I clicked on a shorcut, it did not lanch the program, instead it done nothing.

I managed to fix this problem by putting the shortcuts into a folder.

So every time I click on the startmenu, I have to click a folder called software.

The other annoying part of the problem is for some reason on the start menu, this folder shows up twice.

Any ideas how to fix this?
    One thing worth a try is to put all of the shortcuts under a folder called 'Programs', which sits in the root of the folder where the start menu is redirected to. You may find it will not only prevent them from appearing twice, but they may work too.

Thank Post
    Ok what i mean about the mantory profiles

What I would like to do, is instead of using group policy to apply the restrictions for the accounts, what I would like is that the mantory profile I will make has has restrictions applied to it already, so no need for group policy applied to the user expect folder redirection

So what I would like to know know is how to apply the restrictions to the mantory profile when I create it.

Is there a list of registry settings that I can use to apply the restrictions, or is there a way to get group policy settings to apply to the profile and once its applied and save the mantory profile and disable that grpup policy object the restrictions would say on that mantory profile.

Has once its applied thsts one things less its got to do when its logs on

Hope you get what I mean now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread