+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection - start menu in Technical; Our start menu and desktop folders are redirected from a DFS share, students have read only access to this DFS ...
    Thank Post

Folder Redirection - start menu

Our start menu and desktop folders are redirected from a DFS share, students have read only access to this DFS share but it seems windows 7 start menu redirection won't work without full ownership/permission(correct/incorrect?) it seems its impossible to mess about with the folder being redirected under windows 7...

... but under XP it seems it's possible that on the same shares you can double click a folder to gain access to it and start deleting things - a big security risk

My settings for both redirections to work:
    DFS Share - full permissions to everyone
    Start menu and desktop folder - full permissions to everyone
    Start menu and desktop folder - full ownership

Settings when i started with start menu redirection problems:
    DFS share - Read only
    Start menu and desktop - Read only - Administrators ownership

Settings still to try:
    DFS share - Read only
    Start menu and desktop - Read only - Everyone full ownership

^ Hopefully that will work but i won't get a chance to test it until 3:15 tomorrow, still got 5 Server 2008 R2 boxes and an ESX 4 server to do tomorrow.....fun fun never stops

I've yet to try a setting in between (it's nearly 6pm, my contracted finish time is 4:30!) but can anyone tell me there settings to have one Start menu folder redirecting to both XP and Windows 7 Clients at the same time?

EDIT: seems i was being a bit dim and full ownership to everyone but read only file permissions and read only DFS share worked fine, can't see why it must have ownership permissions though if XP doesn't need it
    Last edited by mrbios; 2nd February 2010 at 06:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Seems i lie in my edit, i never got it working, im curious now though...

Why with windows 7 folder redirection, does it contantly want to create a folder in the location you redirect it to? It's causing me alot of hassle!!!!!!

for example:
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "\\fs1\home$\2007\xxxxxxx\".
    Redirection options=0x9211.
    The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\fs1\home$\2007\xxxxxxxx"".
    Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Desktop" to "\\archway.local\Global\Menu\Desktop".
    Redirection options=0x9211.
    The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\archway.local\Global\Menu\Desktop"".
    Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

^ It says that yet the desktop is actually quite happily redirecting to where i want it to go, where as the start menu says:
    Successfully applied policy and redirected folder "Start Menu" to "\\archway.local\Global\Menu\Start Menu".
    Redirection options=0x9000.

Which is a load of tosh! how do i solve this >_<

EDIT: Definately fixed it this time! Stupid policys, "Remove user's folders from start menu" is enabled on my XP policys, seems that one must be disabled in order for the start menu to work on windows 7
    Last edited by mrbios; 3rd February 2010 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    This setting is is User Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Start Menu and Taskbar-->Remove user's folders from the Start Menu

Hides all folders on the user-specific (top) section of the Start menu. Other items appear, but folders are hidden.

This setting is designed for use with redirected folders. Redirected folders appear on the main (bottom) section of the Start menu. However, the original, user-specific version of the folder still appears on the top section of the Start menu. Because the appearance of two folders with the same name might confuse users, you can use this setting to hide user-specific folders.

Note that this setting hides all user-specific folders, not just those associated with redirected folders.

If you enable this setting, no folders appear on the top section of the Start menu. If users add folders to the Start Menu directory in their user profiles, the folders appear in the directory but not on the Start menu.

If you disable this setting or do not configured it, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional display folders on both sections of the Start menu.
    In our case we don't currently display ANY local start menu items we just display the redirected part with our XP clients. Does this mean that if we want to mix XP and Vista/7 clients we must display local items too?

EDIT: This behaviour is also exhibited by XP with IE8 installed in my experience so far
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 14th May 2010 at 11:23 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread