+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, No Home Directories with Windows 7 in Technical; Hi, we have just introduced Windows 7 to our network on 75 nwe PC's. We are using Server 2003 adn ...

Thank Post

No Home Directories with Windows 7

Hi, we have just introduced Windows 7 to our network on 75 nwe PC's. We are using Server 2003 adn are using the policies set up for our existing XP machines. Now some PC's won't give access to users home diectories, the give an Access Denied error as do I as an administrator? On some occassions users get on and see their files but they are denied access. Tis Weird.

Anyone come across this?

I have downloded and installed 'Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7' on a Win 7 machine and am going through that but I don't understand why some machines are fine???

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Still having problems with this, has anyone come across this? The only way we have found around it it to reinstall Windows

Thank Post
    We still have the same problem but with 1000+ PC's.

Some students can login fine and get all there mapped drives, however some login and just get no drives mapped.

I think its quite a known issue alot of people are having.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys virtually the same issue, tis weird indeed however i think i might have found a fix not a great fix but a fix none the less. ok found this on the microsoft website but cannot find the url will keep searching and post later.
    on a machine that is affected go into regedit navigate to hkey local machine > Software>Microsoft> windows>current version>policies>system. right click and create a new dword named EnableLinkedConnections with a value of 1. restart the machine and hopefully hey presto mapped drives now appear. like i said not a great fix but it worked here out of only the 7 windows 7 pc's only 1 had this problem and it has had me going for days

Thank Post
    I know with Windows 7 and 2008 server, you no longer map drives to home areas as such. I believe the "best practice" now is to setup folder redirections for windows 7 machines (think you can still do with on 2003 server also) through group policy.

Take a look at http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/arc...r-folders.aspx Maybe it might point you in the right direction.

Hope it helps

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hi Michelle, i have been working from the same article! have you manged to create the profiles on a server 2008 datastore following these instructions as my profiles work when they are located on server 2003 domain controller but not a server 2008 datastore. Not yet dc promo the 2008 server as just getting it ready to take over as the DC so would like to get the profiles home directory's etc all set up before we go live. Sorry Markman for hi jacking Michelles post for my own selfish needs

Thank Post
    Hi Dave,

I didnt create the profiles folder from those instructions. I already had mine on 2003 server, which I upgraded to 2008, and as the AD said that users profiles were stored on \\f+p\profiles\%USERNAME% it created new Windows 7 profiles with .V2 on the end automatically.

Where are you storing your profiles and what permissions to do you have set on that folder? Are you storing home areas and profiles on the 2008 (to be dc promo-d) server?

Say what you are trying to do, and what you have set and I will be another pair of eyes for you, as I am sure many others will be as well.

9. Thanks to Michelle from:

DaveCoop (8th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Michelle, thanks for the reply (button clicked) ok our setup is as so 1 2003 DC, 1 Datastore 2003, 1 virtual 2008 we are slowly migrating onto 2008 and hoping to transfer AD and user areas profiles etc onto the new virtual 2008 server. the work areas have gone accross fine its just the profiles follwed the guide as in previous post about a week ago and all looked fine until we had a new windows 7 laptop as the user has no accountt yet a decided to follow the guide to use a best practice but when the user logs in i get a tempory profile until i move the profile back onto the 2003 dc then it creates the v2 profile and jobs a good one, however i wanted to move all the users accross over a period of time as the next holiday availble is May and i didnt want to do a bulk transfer as its our admin network.

the permissions on the folder are set exactly as the document but i have noticed that Creator Owner has no ticks in the permissions folder and when you tick full control then apply it removes the ticks so i think this might be the main cause for not creating the profiles. any ideas?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread