+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, OS not Found in Technical; Ive installed Windows 7 on loads of laptops and Computers, so far and no problems untill i try a Stone ...

Thank Post

OS not Found

Ive installed Windows 7 on loads of laptops and Computers, so far and no problems untill i try a Stone MR052 Laptop.

Windows 7 Installs fine, and seems to be working until i take out the OS DVD and reboot then it cant find the OS.

If i put the OS dvd back in (not booting from it) Windows then loads from the HDD. Strange, this has happen on two different Laptops of the same model.

Ive also upgraded the bios.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had this happen ages ago with a Windows XP box, as far as I could figure it was an issue with the low level formatting of the hard drive and the MBR because the CD simply chains the boot request to the first hard drive and takes over as MBR. I got round it by replacing the HD but I suspect that you could retry fixmbr and fixboot on it (I think I tries this to no avail) and if that does not work look to see if you can do a low level format of the drive. If there is not option for that you could use boot and nuke to scrub the hard drive which I would probably try before the low level format then try the install again.

Thank Post
    Well ive tried everything, Somethin is not compatable.

Thank Post
    IIRC, W7 creates a small partition at the beginning of the drive, but these MR052's also have a small recovery partition there as well. Perhaps W7 is trying to boot to partition 2, which is where it would normally find the OS, but, as partitions 1 & 2 are taken up and W7 is installed on partition 3, it's going belly up!

7&

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    IIRC, W7 creates a small partition at the beginning of the drive, but these MR052's also have a small recovery partition there as well. Perhaps W7 is trying to boot to partition 2, which is where it would normally find the OS, but, as partitions 1 & 2 are taken up and W7 is installed on partition 3, it's going belly up!

7&
    so if he gets it to boot into windows 7 assuming you can ammend / change the boot.ini file to point to the correct partition ?

Thank Post
    thanks for the replies, ive only just got back to looking at this problem.

I always remove and Partitions when i reformat a Computer. Ive just tried Vista as well and the same problem occured.

So i went back to Windows 7 and it seemed to work for a while unitil i set ghost to capture the image...and on reboot no Os found!

looking at the partition it does have two but i think one of these is created when installing Windows 7 or was it when ghost just rebooted?

Thank Post
    at first the problem was not because of ghost as i didnt get that far before th eproblem occured. Stonecomputers advised me to install the chipset and that seemed to work. Until i tried to capture the ghost image - which i think is creating a Temp partition and stopping it working.

im going to try a manual ghostcast

Thank Post
    Looks like the ghost partition is stopping WIN 7 Working - Hope this is just this model Laptop- Cleared the ghost Partiton and it works again

Thank Post
    Hey DirtyDog,

I have a stone MR052 notebook and i'm having exactly the same problem, 1stly where did you get the chipset drivers and 2ndly where di you get the BIOS update from - I havent even got to the stage of creating an image from the machine yet just trying to get it to a useable state, but without the DVD in the drive it just wont boot. Are there any options for SATA operation in the "New" Bios?

Cheers

Nick

Thank Post
    I had the exact same problem with WDS and Windows 7.

Get the latest MR052 BIOS from here
    www.stonecomputers.com - /ftp/
    Click on BIOS and then MR052

That solves the problem.

Mike

Thank Post
    if you look up other numbers on the stones id lay odds you can find the fuji it really is and download drivers from there

Thank Post
    next question how did you get the bios to flash its just failing to open the rom for me? did you flash from dos or win?

Thank Post
    I used a DOS boot disk from bootdisk.com Its important that you ensure that the version of DOS that is booted does not use HIMEM, the flashing application doesn't work if HIMEM is enabled. I dont remember off the top of my head how I did this but a quick google should solve that one.

Once I was booted in to DOS, I simply ran the .BAT file that comes with the BIOS ROM and it updated.

Mike

14. Thanks to mbedford from:

nick2114 (31st May 2010)

Thank Post
    lol was using an old win me usb boot img - forgot me used Himen!

runs ok on 98 boot img

Cheers

Thank Post
    ok so Bios is updated but still no options for SATA operation, reinstalled 7 pro (again!) installed chipset drivers run a repair, run a startup repair - no problems found. But still it only boots with DVD in drive I'm running fast out of ideas now been through loads of posts with BootMGR problems and rebuilding BCD but no resolution. Any ideas???
    Mike how did your install go did you ever get a base image off it? any chance of ghosting it to a DVD for me? I just cant see a way round this i've formatted the HDD 5 times now!
    Grrrr

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast