+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Windows 7 Thread, OS not Found in Technical; Originally Posted by mtdmitchell Ive installed Windows 7 on loads of laptops and Computers, so far and no problems untill ...

Thank Post

os not found

Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    Ive installed Windows 7 on loads of laptops and Computers, so far and no problems untill i try a Stone MR052 Laptop.

Windows 7 Installs fine, and seems to be working until i take out the OS DVD and reboot then it cant find the OS.

If i put the OS dvd back in (not booting from it) Windows then loads from the HDD. Strange, this has happen on two different Laptops of the same model.

Ive also upgraded the bios.
    HI I DID EVERYTHING THAT WAS STATED HERE AND IT DIDNT WORK HOWEVER I DID FIX IT SO IT BOOTS UP WITH NO DISC AND ITS REALY EASY TO FIX
    INSTALL XP THEN INSTALL WINDOWS 7 BUT DONT DELETE OR FORMAT THE DRIVE JUST CLICK TO INSTALL IT WILL SAY SOMETHING LIKE (WINDOWS WILL INSTALL BUT EXISTING FILES WILL BE NAMED WINDOWS OLD BLAH BLAH) JUST CLICK TO CONTINUE AND IT WORKS FOR ME

THIS WAS A MAJOR HEAD BUST FOR ME AS IVE DID HUNDREDS OF INSTALLATIONS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    Ive installed Windows 7 on loads of laptops and Computers, so far and no problems untill i try a Stone MR052 Laptop.

Windows 7 Installs fine, and seems to be working until i take out the OS DVD and reboot then it cant find the OS.

If i put the OS dvd back in (not booting from it) Windows then loads from the HDD. Strange, this has happen on two different Laptops of the same model.

Ive also upgraded the bios.
    HI I DID EVERYTHING THAT WAS STATED HERE AND IT DIDNT WORK HOWEVER I DID FIX IT SO IT BOOTS UP WITH NO DISC AND ITS REALY EASY TO FIX
    INSTALL XP THEN INSTALL WINDOWS 7 BUT DONT DELETE OR FORMAT THE DRIVE JUST CLICK TO INSTALL IT WILL SAY SOMETHING LIKE (WINDOWS WILL INSTALL BUT EXISTING FILES WILL BE NAMED WINDOWS OLD BLAH BLAH) JUST CLICK TO CONTINUE AND IT WORKS FOR ME

THIS WAS A MAJOR HEAD BUST FOR ME AS IVE DID HUNDREDS OF INSTALLATIONS

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That doen't really help when you are trying to make a 'clean' disk image as upgrading from XP will leave a hell of a lot of garbage behind, not to mention spending a day simply installing OS's and upgrading etc. Almost eveyone here manages 'large' networks and whilst your method may be good for a single troublesome machine it does not really work for a production environment.
    Oh, and your caps key appears to be stuck on. Twice
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 3rd January 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    Here's a workaround for this problem for anyone trying to reinstall with SCCM or MDT. The MR052's just don't like partitions created by Vista/7; if you currently have no working OS on the drive follow these steps:

* Edit your Task Sequence so that it does not run the "Format and Partition Disk" step for these laptops.
    * Boot off an XP CD
    * Delete any current partitions, create a new one. Shutdown the laptop.
    * Boot into WinPE.
    * Bring up a command prompt and type format c: /q
    * Start your Task Sequence as normal.

If you have systems that still have an XP OS installed, you should be able to boot into WinPE and start the Task Sequence normally (while skipping the "Format and Partition Disk" step). When the image is applied the disk contents will be wiped.

I haven't tested this installing directly from the Windows 7 DVD, but in theory the same process should work. Just don't delete the original XP partition!!!

P.S. - This doesn't require the BIOS update mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Fortunately I have only one of these MR052 machines remaining.

Slight variation on the above.

I started the XP installation from the CD, deleted existing partitions, allowed it to create one partition and powered off immediately after the format.

Then installed Win 7 from the DVD to the existing XP-created partition.

Windows XP puts the 100MB extra partion at the end of the drive, whereas Windows 7 puts it at the start. I'd never noticed that before, but the MR052 BIOS doesn't like it.

I didn't need to flash the BIOS.

Works as a one off, but no good for mass deployment.

Edit - just read down and realised that's what tompaa65 and DosBox said! Anway - it works.
    Last edited by OverWorked; 17th April 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Think I'll try and create a quick and dirty auto-boot CD that will set up an XP-grade partition then have a separate Task Sequence for MR052 laptops that doesn't involve the Create Partition phase (not sure if conditions can be set via WMI that early on in the installation process)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as WMI stuff is installed in the LightTouch image then you can do it right from boot as it is a selfcontained OS that boots up and does the prerequisete stuff before dropping the image on top of it. That should work fine, you may even be able to use the older formating and partitioning tools directly in the task sequence in place of the newer ones to setup the partitions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    As long as WMI stuff is installed in the LightTouch image then you can do it right from boot as it is a selfcontained OS that boots up and does the prerequisete stuff before dropping the image on top of it. That should work fine, you may even be able to use the older formating and partitioning tools directly in the task sequence in place of the newer ones to setup the partitions.
    You've read my mind, was thinking of a small package with the XP diskpart \ format commands to set up the partition instead of the standard SCCM step, use WMI to filter either of them out et voila sorted

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    You've read my mind, was thinking of a small package with the XP diskpart \ format commands to set up the partition instead of the standard SCCM step, use WMI to filter either of them out et voila sorted
    Quick update, SCCM doesn't like me running XP diskpart from within its own WinPE boot environment (not surprising really!)

After messing about with BartPE trying to do auto diskpart sequences and finding that doesn't like diskpart very much either I'll stick with gparted and create the partition manually, doesn't take too long in the grand scheme of things. Have put a WMI filter on the SCCM partition step to do any model that's not the Stone one (or NOTCHA as the real model name appears to be )

The BIOS links are useful though as I need AHCI on to get the best out of the Crucial M4 SSD I've put in one of the laptops to extend their life a bit further. CPU speed and memory are fine but 5400rpm hard drives are painful

Question is which BIOS is "better"... D from one of the earlier links or the special V link posted on the previous page...
    Last edited by gshaw; 21st June 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    OK guys... read the whole thread and this is what worked for me. I did not need to update the bios. I removed the hard drive and deleted the partitions that Windows 7 makes so that there is just one partition. Formatted the whole single partition. Replaced it in the Stone laptop and rebooted with Windows 7 installation disk. Used Custom install and selected the single partition to install to. Installed perfectly and the laptop boots Windows 7 fine. Problem solved for me, hope it works for you guys too!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345