+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, OS not Found in Technical; Originally Posted by nick2114 But still it only boots with DVD in drive "Boots with DVD in drive" as in ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nick2114 View Post
    But still it only boots with DVD in drive
    "Boots with DVD in drive" as in a bootloader loads up from the DVD and brings up a message saying "Press any key to boot from DVD drive..."? The computer is actually booting from the DVD, not the harddrive, it's just that if you don't press a key the bootloader simply boots Windows from the harddrive for you. This rather suggests that Windows itself works fine (and has all drivers for things like motherboard chipsets and SATA drivers installed properly), it's just that it's bootloader isn't loading for some reason. Check the harddrive is actually set to be bootable in the BIOS, otherwise you could try installing the GRUB bootloader from a Linux utility disk to boot Windows.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    hmm, its been a while since I loaded Windows 7 onto one of these so maybe there was an extra step, im having a flash back to needing to change a BIOS setting after doing the update. Something related to "SATA Legacy mode" or along those lines.

im not back in the office until Wednesday but I will try and find that model machine and take a look for you then.

I doubt getting a 3rd party boot loader will help as this is definatley a problem related to SATA within the BIOS. Have another look in your BIOS for anything related to SATA or Serial ATA, im sure it was some sort of Legacy mode the more I think about it.

I can try getting a ghost image for you but i dont think thats going to be any help :-(

Mike

Thank Post

W7 problems

I had the same also and got round it running the repair option from the w7 disc rather than the install. You can also make a bootable repair disc from a good copy of w7.

Hope this helps
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Well I installed Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago and had a suspiciously similar problem. It was because whenm I went to install 7 I'd wiped all the partitions and then installed 7. However I'd not that about what I was doing and I left the other HDDs in my computer. After a while I clicked on that Windows 7 had installed the necessary boot files to another HDD and my bios was trying to start the wrong drive. Start up Windows 7 and run BCDEDIT from a command prompt and see where it's put the boot files.

If it's installed them in the wrong place then you can copy them and then change the BCD file. You'll have to google it though because I didn't bother to bookmark the site I used.

Thank Post
    I have exactly the same problem. I have had it for about 6 months and never found a fix for it. I can't be bothered with the whole format/reinstall process so leaving the disk in is no huge issue.

The error I get is that Winload.exe failed the digital signature check. The HDD is first boot item and the DVD never seems to spin up, but if it's not in there, windows refuses to load! I've got to the point where I just except it.

Thank Post
    Hi right been on the phone to Stone again!

They vaguely remember having to set the ahci controller mode to legacy in the bios however i STILL have no controller options in bios after flashing it with the new bios 3 times! Mike if you could look at your BIOS version I would be most grateful mine is A.0b-1358-8a20 if your is defferent winphlash must have an option to backup exisiting bios??

Cheers

Nick

Thank Post
    shouldnt need to set ahci controller to legacy for windows 7 only really needed if you cant find/too busy/lazy to add sata driver to an xp disk

Thank Post
    As luck would have it I dialled into my work machine and I have a copy of the BIOS i used. I have zipped the entire thing up including the flashing app.

Hotfile.com: 1-CLICK Dateihoster: MR052.zip

Hope this helps.

Mike

9. Thanks to mbedford from:

nick2114 (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks very much for the bios. Unfortunatly I still have no option for AHCI or SATA config - Spoken to Andrew Sharrad (technical Director Stone) and he has been unable to help suggesting a Boot loader might work! but all to no avail still i'm left with the DVD in Drive i think i have reached the end with this laptop and maybe just go back to good ol XP

As for adding the SATA driver to the Win 7 disk or on start F6 windows 7 already has drivers for the ICH7R driver that this laptop uses! so that wont help its just can phsically see the boot files on the HDD it needs the DVD to invoke the boot!

Boo Hiss

Cheers for all the help guys!

Thank Post
    Did you try reinstalling Win7 once you did the BIOS update?

Thank Post
    No you reckon its worth a try??

Thank Post
    Yeah, what do you have to lose really now, when i did the BIOS update i reinstalled windows anyway, didnt think of trying it before lol

Thank Post
    Ok here goes nothing

it only takes about 15 mins now - set up a USB stick to do it

Thank Post
    Nope straight to PXE Oh well I'm outta ideas now, Mike give me a shout if you get a look at the bios on the machine that u have it working on, see if theres any options i've missed did you install with the add drivers option or just from OEM disk?

Thank Post
    We did ours from a WDS deployment so no CD at all. I suppose there is the slight chance that the driver we used is already in our driver store for another machine. I will have a look tomorrow.

Mike

17. Thanks to mbedford from:

nick2114 (1st June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast