+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Setting up windows 7 and server 2008 standard in Technical; Hi Everyone Just looking at moving our computers over to windows 7 using a server 2008 standard now I have ...
    Thank Post

Setting up windows 7 and server 2008 standard

Hi Everyone

Just looking at moving our computers over to windows 7 using a server 2008 standard now I have seen that server 2008 r2 was designed more towards windows 7 but at the min i was going to run this on standard and use the vista gpo rules if this is possible.

Really just wanting to see if anyone else has installed windows 7 on their network and what problems have they run into and also if anyone has run this on a server 2008 standard version? I have antivirus working thanks again to this site and also installed a couple of other pieces of software and so far everything seems to be working fine.

Next i am going to be testing this with our pupil accounts which is were i expect to have the most problems as i have GPO set for pupils but they all use XP at present. Any help with getting this running would be much appreciated

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can easily manage Win7 clients from a 2008 server, the policies are very simmilar and you can update the templates on the 2008 server with the Win7 ones to if you want to to give you full managment ability for any new features:

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum - Windows 7, ADMX, and Central Store
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...icy-Part1.html

3. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

Aaron (25th January 2010), Cools (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Sweet, i'm looking into this soon.. and i have the same problem.. thanks SYNACK

Thank Post
    thank you for your reply SYNACK thats great i will take a look at this now just tested there with a pupil account and run into a couple of bugs thank you

Thank Post
    Is there any reason why now that pupil profiles would be on the local machine above 30mb? for some reason when i test with a pupil account there account profile is over 30mb and mine is below 6mb.

The pupil account has also only got a default login taskbar not aero which i have set under gpo to be aero.msstyles for windows 7 only is there a reason why this is defaulting back to standard windows theme.

I was hoping to do alot of testing before we run this in the summer and have both windows 7 and windows xp network. I dont use roaming profiles for the only reason it was terribly slow during logins compared to local profiles.

Thank Post
    We're getting ready for Win7 deployment, so far the problems that we're experienced/experiencing*:

1. With the existing GPO's in place, when a student first logs on it logs in under 2 minutes, then the next time the student logs in it takes 10 minutes - Fixed, recreated all GPO's.

2. Document redirection - Fixed, the issue that we experience was that the owner of the re-directed folder was not the user.

3. Start-menu redirection - Currently working on, the start menu doesn't redirect, we had to recreate another GPO for the start-menu redirection, however it works on Windows 7 but not XP...

4. More to come???

*This is done with a test student account, a newly imaged Win7 PC, joined to our domain.

-Ken

EDIT: Update for number 3. Because students will be logging onto both XP and Win7 machines, we have to leave both the existing GPO and the new GPO designed for Windows 7 in, in order for the right GPO to work for the right machine we have implement WMI filters on both GPO's. This seemed to have the desired affect, XP machines get the startmenu they had before and the Win7 machines get the new redirected startmenu.

More testing to be done tomorrow...
    Last edited by wagnerk; 25th January 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: EDIT added

Thank Post
    At the min i have no problems during login with pupil account everything seems to login in under 30secs which i am happy with.

The user can also open their documents and everything seems to work at the min.

for some reason the All Programs everything is missing i know that i am redirecting the start menu for all xp clients going to look at why it is missing for windows 7.

And the users start menu and taskbar seems to be the old windows default not the new aero theme which is applied to mine has to be a GPO stopping this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    At the min i have no problems during login with pupil account everything seems to login in under 30secs which i am happy with.

The user can also open their documents and everything seems to work at the min.

for some reason the All Programs everything is missing i know that i am redirecting the start menu for all xp clients going to look at why it is missing for windows 7.

And the users start menu and taskbar seems to be the old windows default not the new aero theme which is applied to mine has to be a GPO stopping this.
    How have you sorted out the fact that there is a local my documents and network documents?
    If I open my username folder in the top left of the screen, I get 2x My Documents, 2x My Videos, 2x My Pictures & 2x My Videos

Thank Post
    i run local profiles and havent run into the problem with 2 of everything yet. Although i have noticed that the user space for each folder is really big ill not be rolling it out probably till the summer that gives me enough time to play around with profiles here. It has to work along side windows xp with no problems

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread