+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 upgrades. Which OS first? in Technical; Where I work at the moment, they seem very Anti Vista and ANti 7 but that's more because the people ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where I work at the moment, they seem very Anti Vista and ANti 7 but that's more because the people in charge don't know much about IT and a very scared of change. That's a question.. how many peoples decision on when or if to upgrade to Vista or 7 has been affected or even stopped because of management being scared of changing from what they know?

Thank Post
    I would say that at my school more than 50% of our XP based client workstations would struggle to run Vista, so the time to change for us would be when we get all of our hardware to a level that is capable of running Vista/Windows 7, by which time it will be a no-brain decision to go to Windows 7 as most new purchases would come with a Windows 7 preload.

Or at least that is what I would have said were it not for the fact that the decision is no longer ours to make because of BSF

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I would say that at my school more than 50% of our XP based client workstations would struggle to run Vista
    Doesn't mean they can't run W7...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Doesn't mean they can't run W7...
    Indeed, as long as there is driver support, and they meet the minimum performance criteria.... which for some at 5 years old they may not.... plus we would need the money to pay for the licences to upgrade and BSF has wiped out the budget.
    Last edited by broc; 27th January 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I only have the physical staff desktops to upgrade to Windows 7 and we are done across the school. I am waiting for the physical desktops as SIMS isnt supported yet. When it is, I will upgrade.

Thank Post
    Indeed, as long as there is driver support, and they meet the minimum performance criteria.... which for some at 5 years old they may not
    Obviously with those caveats, however the point I was trying to make was that the min spec for W7 is quite a bit less than that of Vista (a 5-yr-old P4 2.8Ghz with 512MB did just fine in testing here) so you may find that even your older ones are up to it. Doesn't help with the licensing costs, of course!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    I think that can be explained by the fact that many of us took a good hard look at Vista and decided to stick with XP - hence leading to an eventual upgrade of systems from XP to 7.
    We are tied in with what the LEA offer us - they are still Windows 2003R2 domain controllers but plans are in place to upgrade to 2008R2 - we will then be moving our XP network (which works fine) over to 7 - missing Vista.

I'm sure there may be some schools in the LEA that run Vista somewhere on their networks, but it isn't really supported by the LEA.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Obviously with those caveats, however the point I was trying to make was that the min spec for W7 is quite a bit less than that of Vista (a 5-yr-old P4 2.8Ghz with 512MB did just fine in testing here) so you may find that even your older ones are up to it. Doesn't help with the licensing costs, of course!
    Point well made..... thank you.

As it happens we had decided to skip Vista & Office 2007 because of the demands it would have made on the ageing hardware; previously under our rolling program of replacement we would have probably reached the point now where we would have been well positioned for migration from XP to Vista or Windows 7 were it not for BSF. If we had carried out the replacements it would have made no sense for my school to migrate to Vista with Windows 7 being available.

Thank Post
    Point well made..... thank you.

As it happens we had decided to skip Vista & Office 2007 because of the demands it would have made on the ageing hardware...
    Yer, we skipped it because of the demands it would place on our ageing staff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Yer, we skipped it because of the demands it would place on our ageing staff
    That was why we skipped Office 2007

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    As well as a lot of planning and testing, it's also worth evaluating the needs of a school as to whether upgrading to Windows 7 would be beneficial. In my view I'm in no rush to deploy Windows 7 to a live network, although creating a test network is well worth setting up. XP is supported until 2014, so in this time frame specs of machines will become more powerful and Windows 7 will be a more mature OS.

Remember later this year Google's OS will hit the streets too so who knows how this could change the outlook for future upgrades. Initially I suspect Google will target laptop/netbook users but then at some point education and businesses, which theoretically would require a Google Server OS of some kind.

Thank Post
    I've been considering upgrading our school to Windows 7 (we're currently running ALL XP machines with Windows Server 2003)...

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to do all this? We have about 100 machines and 1 server.

Also- is it pretty straightforward to do and are there any time-saving / data-saving tips?

AIT
    Thank Post
    we had a planned role out of vista the summer just gone. as it took me over a year and was still not satisfied vista worked properly in our enviroment we roled out windows 7 as it seemed to work perfectly with my new vista policys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Remember later this year Google's OS will hit the streets too so who knows how this could change the outlook for future upgrades. Initially I suspect Google will target laptop/netbook users but then at some point education and businesses, which theoretically would require a Google Server OS of some kind.

Yes, hopefully 'skipping' vista, 7 , 8, 9 lol. Just awaiting a PXE booting chromium vapourware with a Citrix client...

Thank Post
    We had no intention of using Vista after testing it. Windows 7 isn't even that much of an improvement in my opinion but I would consider that upgrade next.

Problem is as we run all Xp/2003 server its a new load of CALS as well (no schools agreement here!) and loads of missing drivers/incompatible applications in Windows 7 so a gradual migration will be on the cards with the newer machines getting Windows 7, and the older ones staying on XP until they're replaced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast