+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, How do "you" set up your windows 7 machines? in Technical; Hi all, I've been using Win7 at home for a few months now and am loving it. So much so, ...
    Thank Post

How do "you" set up your windows 7 machines?

Hi all,

I've been using Win7 at home for a few months now and am loving it. So much so, that I'm considering upgrading a few of the computer suites here over the summer.

I've loaded a VM with Windows 7 so I can play around with it sitting on our domain.

What I'm looking for from you kind folk is help/suggestions/advice/tips on how you set up your Win7 machines prior to system cloning.

I've already changed the printer setup from a vbs login script, to "deployed printers" in Active Directory, which seems to work flawlessly (so far). What I need advice on is the finer details that often get overlooked until it's too late.
    Things like:

How you handle the potential of 100s of users (with regard to profiles)? In XP I set up a users profile, then when I'm happy with it I copy it to the "Default User" profile and every user that logs on to the pc has a local profile created using the Default User as a template.

Do you lock down your Start Menus and Desktops - how do you populate these with the appropriate shortcuts?

How do you handle Libraries - do you redirect the "Documents" library to a Users home directory on the network?

Do you have custom default User Icons, Wallpapers, Login Screens that apply to all users or groups of users?

Do you "Pin" applications to the Start Menus and/or Taskbar for all users?

Anything else?

Cheers for your feedback team!

Oh, I ashamed to say our Active Directory is running on a Win2000 but has been adprep'd to Win2003.

Thank Post
    The first thing I've noticed is the Adobe Reader 9.3 doesn't work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    The first thing I've noticed is the Adobe Reader 9.3 doesn't work!
    Does it crash with a runtime error?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Does it crash with a runtime error?
    Yeah, about 30 seconds after it loads.
    I've uninstalled it now and downloaded a free pdf viewer called PDF-XChange which seems to be working without a hitch.

Has anyone got desktop wallpaper working via GPO? I've got a jpg on a shared network area and setup a GPO to set it as the desktop wallpaper, but the desktop is just black. If I Right Click on the desktop and go to personalize, it shows the jpg as being the Desktop Background and even displays the thumbnail but my actual desktop is jet black....

Thank Post
    How you handle the potential of 100s of users (with regard to profiles)? In XP I set up a users profile, then when I'm happy with it I copy it to the "Default User" profile and every user that logs on to the pc has a local profile created using the Default User as a template.
    Manadatory profiles for student and teachers with roaming profiles for admin staff
    Do you lock down your Start Menus and Desktops - how do you populate these with the appropriate shortcuts?
    Redirected start menu and desktops from a DFS share
    How do you handle Libraries - do you redirect the "Documents" library to a Users home directory on the network?
    Using a registry hack ive completely removed libraries and all it's links - the normal documents links remain and are redirected to there home folders
    Do you have custom default User Icons, Wallpapers, Login Screens that apply to all users or groups of users?
    Wallpaper is taken from a network share and set my GP - Going to make a custom logon screen with the school logo eventually
    Do you "Pin" applications to the Start Menus and/or Taskbar for all users?
    Everything removed, i hide everything but the clock - minimalist look and minimal fuss with minimal amount of little ones trying to mess with things some icons can do

Has anyone got desktop wallpaper working via GPO? I've got a jpg on a shared network area and setup a GPO to set it as the desktop wallpaper, but the desktop is just black. If I Right Click on the desktop and go to personalize, it shows the jpg as being the Desktop Background and even displays the thumbnail but my actual desktop is jet black....
    Set the wallpaper GPO, login, then logoff set the GP to disabled and it'll work - that worked for me anyway

Thank Post
    Had huge problems with the desktop background but you can look at these links to maybe help with the user profile. Any pinned items on the taskbar of the default profile appear on the users. (I've pinned word and excel after speaking with the head of ICT)

How To Copy Profile In Windows 7 for Default Domain NETLOGON - Ben O'Sullivan Works

Wallpaper via Group Policy and Windows 7 I haven't yet tested this.

My start menu is current redirected as it was in xp. Not done libraries yet but documents is redirected to home folder share. By default Music Videos and Picture follow. I've aslo redirected the favourites folder so that everyone has the same links although this may need to be changed because i think Y11 have to be able to create favourites for GCSE

Thank Post
    Yeah, about 30 seconds after it loads.
    I've uninstalled it now and downloaded a free pdf viewer called PDF-XChange which seems to be working without a hitch.
    Check the following folders exist in the users profile:

%UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow
    %UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe
    %UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat
    %UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0

Thank Post
    Cheers all,

Some good advice there... keep it coming!

@DMcCoy
    I reinstalled Adobe Reader and added those Adobe folders but I'm still getting the same problem. I've attached a screen shot below... any ideas

Thank Post
    It's odd that it is still crashing, that error can either be redirected appdata or missing locallow, at least that's what I've had with 9.2 on Vista.

Does the user have a local profile or a roaming one? I'm not sure what it would be if those other issues are ruled out.

Thank Post
    How are you lot doing deployment? as i don't like sysprep (won't go into explaning it) and seeing as NewSID isnt being updated to allow for windows 7 compatibility im a bit undecided on how to do it, any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    It's odd that it is still crashing, that error can either be redirected appdata or missing locallow, at least that's what I've had with 9.2 on Vista.

Does the user have a local profile or a roaming one? I'm not sure what it would be if those other issues are ruled out.
    It's a local profile and I've setup the following path
    C:\Users\tech\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0

The folders in red didn't exist.

Is there anything else I can check?

Thank Post
    Sysprep really is what you want to use as it does other thing along with the SID.

One tip: In Vista/7 you can use pnputil from the command prompt to install drivers for non present devices. This also means that unsigned drivers are installed into the driverstore. I've used it to add nividia and HDD drivers before imaging when they didn't work when deploying via WDS.

Thank Post
    It's a local profile and I've setup the following path
    C:\Users\tech\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0

The folders in red didn't exist.

Is there anything else I can check?
    I'm afraid I don't know any other fixes, it may be 9.3 or 7 specific. The only other thing you could try is running as administrator.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Set the wallpaper GPO, login, then logoff set the GP to disabled and it'll work - that worked for me anyway
    Cheers for your suggestions. I've tried to disable the GP but nothing changed. How would this approach work with a GP that is used by 100s of users on 100s of pcs at different times of the day? When do you have the policy enabled, and conversely, when do you have it disabled?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post

Using a registry hack ive completely removed libraries and all it's links - the normal documents links remain and are redirected to there home folders
    Can I have that reg hack please, the Libaries are driving me crackers on my Win 7 PC in the office... who thought they were a good idea for domained machines

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast