+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Really Need Urgent Help Please...... in Technical; Ok guys... REALLY need you help here.... made a right mess I have deployed Windows 7 in one classroom but ...
    Thank Post

Really Need Urgent Help Please......

Ok guys... REALLY need you help here.... made a right mess

I have deployed Windows 7 in one classroom but have got problems, thought I had all it working but has not gone that way

I have created separate 32Bit and 64Bit policys due to start menu shorcuts that need the x86 added for the x86 programes on the 64 bit Windows 7

So we have Student, Staff and admin versions of these

And separate xp plolicy has well

So thats a total of 9 policys for users

To get around having the right one selected for the different computers I created wmi filters.

I found out that when using x64 which I have deployed, the wmi filter is applyer the 32bit policy (I used gpresult to check this)

Also the start menu is missing from the students profile..
    Not sure I have set that up corectlly. I have put all the shorcuts is the sysvol folder

I also put the mantory profiles I made in sysvol, which I dont think is apply correclly, because the background is missing when I logo it on, but it does NOT complain that it cant find the profile and log me in with a tempory profile, so why whould it do that?

Have I done wrong in putting it in the sysvol folder? Thought it would speed up file transfers / logons, has it gets it for all the domain controllers right?

Also anyone know a decent program to do a bulk user profile path link change. Has I will need to change this to the mantory profile

Also when I install my image it puts united states has on the language and region settings, it does have the UK keyboard set has default, thats the only thing that uk and the timezone too. ANy way to correct this? Have I wrote in the wrong setting in the unattended file for this? I put en-UK for all the settings for that.

Many Thanks In Advance

Thank Post
    I know this is a silly question but i had this issue when i tryed to use old GPO's, for some reason i had a GPO that i called "Pupil Desktop Settings" that would cause windows user profile service to crash and create temp profiles. Further to this i created new policys with the exact same policys enforced and had no problems.

Hope this helps stu,

P.S What i did was created a new ou and blocked inheritance which allowed me the ability to control what policys where in effect and bingo out of 15 polices i was able to narrow it down to one.
    Last edited by stuartp44; 17th January 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    I found out that when using x64 which I have deployed, the wmi filter is applyer the 32bit policy (I used gpresult to check this)
    What is your WMI filter query, you should be able to use the below 64bit one to filter properly

Code:
    SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE OSArchitecture = "32-bit"
    for
    the 32-bit machines and
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE OSArchitecture = "64-bit"
    for
    the 64-bit machines

Also the start menu is missing from the students profile..
    Not sure I have set that up corectlly. I have put all the shorcuts is the sysvol folder
    Are the folder permissions correct to allow users read access to the folder in question. I would look at making a seperate DFS share (AD integrated) to put this and the mandatory profile on. I would look via the RSoP snapin in the MMC and see where it is pointing then try to access it manually from a student account to check.

I also put the mantory profiles I made in sysvol, which I dont think is apply correclly, because the background is missing when I logo it on, but it does NOT complain that it cant find the profile and log me in with a tempory profile, so why whould it do that?

Have I done wrong in putting it in the sysvol folder? Thought it would speed up file transfers / logons, has it gets it for all the domain controllers right?
    Depending on your server OS level it may not be a good idea to put larger objects like a mandatory profile in the sysvol as it may slow down or even break AD replication. As above the best solution is to make a seporate DFS root for centrally shared stuff like that, you can add multiple replication folders on your servers to allow for load shareing and redundancy in this method just like sysvol but isolated from it for security and speed reasons.

Not sure about the actual application of the mandatory profile for windows 7 as I have not dealt with that personally.

Also anyone know a decent program to do a bulk user profile path link change. Has I will need to change this to the mantory profile
    This program should do the trick http://www.wisesoft.co.uk/software/b...s/default.aspx you could also use scripting or search filters to do the same but that is more complex.

Also when I install my image it puts united states has on the language and region settings, it does have the UK keyboard set has default, thats the only thing that uk and the timezone too. ANy way to correct this? Have I wrote in the wrong setting in the unattended file for this? I put en-UK for all the settings for that.
    Not sure but I think it is supposed to be "en-GB" in the answer file which should result in the right settings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,416 Posts
    You can use admodify to bulk change attributes

Thank Post
    Ok bit of an update

I found I had disabled user folders for the start menu

I made a new Student profile, blocked all the other ones, in this policy was just folder redirection. I tested this on xp, worked fine like normal. But when I tested this on Windows 7 this was very weird. The start menu icon were there, but everytime I lanched a shortcut that is redirected, nothing happened, to program started. When I started a short cut fro the local hard drive, it started.

All the folder permissions are correct, because it works on xp. This is a very weird one.

So I came up with an idea, of copying to start menus shortcuts to the clients instead. When when I thought about that, I also throught might has well somehow get the mantory profile copied to the clients has well, and have all the desktop and start menu shortcuts in that mantory profile.

Any one know how to deploy it to the clients? There will be different mantory profiles for different locations, because they have different software installed, so they will have different start menus.

I tried creating a msi but when I keep trying to add to msi to group policy it kept complaining about something. (Cant remember the error, dam it!)
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 17th January 2010 at 09:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread