+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, windows 7 certificates error in Technical; i have a problem i've done a clean install of windows 7. but now when i access any website or ...
    Thank Post

windows 7 certificates error

i have a problem i've done a clean install of windows 7. but now when i access any website or service that needs to access a certificate. it rejects it saying it is invalid. but they are vailed. because they work on other computers fine. just not my windows 7, my colleague did a upgrade from vista to windows 7 and his is fine.

the error is "this certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority"
    Last edited by andy_nic; 5th January 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Thank Post
    currently searching for a solution to this aswell

from what i have found windows 7 needs to veryify certificate chains with the windowsupdate website directly via port 80, when you are locked behind a RBC internet connection with only filtered access via a proxy this seems to fail as it doesnt use the IE proxy settings properly

Thank Post
    its to do with your secruity in ie8, had the same problem I ended up re-installing the ie but the below KB should help

How to use security zones in Internet Explorer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PHolland View Post
    currently searching for a solution to this aswell

from what i have found windows 7 needs to veryify certificate chains with the windowsupdate website directly via port 80, when you are locked behind a RBC internet connection with only filtered access via a proxy this seems to fail as it doesnt use the IE proxy settings properly
    @PHolland, i think your right that is what i have found too, but i didn't know that its because of the proxy.

Thank Post
    I am also having this problem.

I have contacted the ISP to see if anything can be done thier end. I know they have made proxy exceptions before for stuff like the LA VLE?

The trusted sites option is only a short term work around as you cannot set every site you want to view as a trusted site? Unless there is something i've missed here?

Thank Post
    I fixed it Partly help by timg in this post Not getting Windows 7 Updates? when he said about
    netsh
    winhttp
    proxy proxyname.myschool:Port
    exit
    however i couldn't get this to work i did. open cmd type "netsh" then "winhttp" then " set proxy "insert proxy address"

Andy

Thank Post
    Hi,
    You shouldn't need to set the netsh stuff, as it will use the logged in users proxy settings.
    However, you do need to make sure that you allow unauthenticated access to a few URL's, namely.

Code:
    http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab
    You may also need to allow access to the CRT/CRL of whoever issued your SSL certificate, in our case the top level cert was from "usertrust" Looking at our proxy logs revealed a ton of access denied for

Code:
    http://crt.usertrust.com/AddTrustUTNSGCCA.crt
    http://crt.usertrust.com/AddTrustExternalCARoot.p7c
    Check your proxy logs for hits on "CRT" and "CRL" if you have another provider.

It must be allowed unauthenticated access as it doesn't send the username to the proxy when it tries to download these.

The reason for this is is that Windows 7 doesn't have the certs, or expired certs for a fair few providers out of the box. On Windows XP you used to download an update every few months with new certs "Windows root certificate update" which would allow these to work, But Windows 7 no longer has these, instead it reaches out across the Internet and downloads the authrootstl.cab above from Windows Update whenever it gets a cert it doesn't understand.

Thank Post
    Had the same issue with my SmoothWall proxy. Needed to add some addresses into my "do not auth" list.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread