+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Please help me connect my win 7 laptop wirelessly in Technical; Hi there -I normally hang out in the Virtual Learning Environment forums but am desperately frustratedtonight I've come over here ...

Thank Post

Please help me connect my win 7 laptop wirelessly

Hi there -I normally hang out in the Virtual Learning Environment forums but am desperately frustratedtonight I've come over here for some help -please. Son got new toshiba laptop (brand new) windows 7. Trying to connect it to our BT broadband hub - wirelessly. We've had this for several years and have had several changes of laptop xp and vista so now how to connect to the wifi -but this one just won't recognise the WEP key. It says the signal is excellent - it recognises the router by name and prompts us for the key -which we have entered correctly -but it keeps saying it won't connect. I have tried the usual switch on/off wifi/router/laptop/firewall - but as it's windows 7 which I have no experience of I wonder if there is anything else I might have missed out? Oddly enough - friend connected a win7 laptop a couple of weeks ago with no issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You sure there isn't a button that needs to be pressed (and has been overlooked) on the Router box to enable connection prior to entering the key? Happened to me!!

Thank Post
    1st step/try - update your wireless card driver see if that works

2nd step/try - update your firmware on you wireless routor

3rd step/try - reset your wireless routor and reconfigure it

Thats the steps in that order I would try

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    If you already have existing XP and Vista clients, I would eliminate the router being the problem. You also mentioned a friend successfully connected their Windows 7 machine which proves my point further.

Some routers like Orange are limited to 8 IPs and do require you to press a button to synchronise and register the machine with the router. You could try allocating a static IP configuration in case it's DHCP not handing out anymore IPs.

Thank Post
    Seems othershave had problems with Windows 7 (and other versions) 64bit and wep. Hope the link helps, some had luck changing the driver

Thank Post
    64bit and wep
    Interesting, but logically it shouldn't make any difference or should it? The OS is 64bit, and so is the driver (for example) and WEP is just WEP.

Thank Post

thanks all

Thanks to all for your suggestions-Michael you might have a point -I recall years ago when I set this up it said it would handle 10 connections - maybe I have run out? I haven't deleted any of the older ones of laptops we no longer use - should that make a difference? I will check out the win7 laptop connection problems link thanks - it's quite demoralising really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Some routers like Orange are limited to 8 IPs and do require you to press a button to synchronise and register the machine with the router. You could try allocating a static IP configuration in case it's DHCP not handing out anymore IPs.
    if this is the case, you may find your dhcp on your router is set to a stupid amount of time for a lease, i know my one the leases are 6 months for some stupid reason, and if you are limited it could be that it will not dish out the addreses again!

Thank Post
    Aint routers internal addresses through? or is that different on ADSL?

I know that using a router is just internal addresses

internal address would be something like 192.168.0.2

Outside would be something like 212.134.564.32

So that shouldn't be limiting it, has your just using one

Or is this a limit with the firmware or router that orange use?

Thank Post
    I would say (by the looks of things) joe90bass is probably right. I would connect the Windows 7 via a LAN cable and update the wireless driver this way.

Or is this a limit with the firmware or router that orange use?
    Normally a Class C network allows upto 254 IPs or devices to connect to a single router, so some ISPs view this as a potential problem, so deliberately limit this to 8 IPs. However there's nothing stopping you buying a generic 'proper' router which would give you the full 254 IPs as well as other useful features such as firewalls, web filtering and VPN.

Thank Post
    Check that the time configured on your router matches the time on your PC/laptop. If these are mismatched, it causes problems for the encryption protocols.

Thank Post
    I would say (by the looks of things) joe90bass is probably right. I would connect the Windows 7 via a LAN cable and update the wireless driver this way.

Normally a Class C network allows upto 254 IPs or devices to connect to a single router, so some ISPs view this as a potential problem, so deliberately limit this to 8 IPs. However there's nothing stopping you buying a generic 'proper' router which would give you the full 254 IPs as well as other useful features such as firewalls, web filtering and VPN.
    or probably hard setting an ip rather than dhcp it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest I wouldn't be using WEP anyway as it can be cracked so easily.
    Have you tried configuring the router for WPA2 and trying to connect?

Thank Post

hi all

(I did try WAP2 btw actually but still no joy) Turns out it WAS a fault somewhere with the laptop after all - took it back - their tech guy couldn't connect it totheir own wireless whatever he tried - swapped it for a different model - connected in 30 secs back home to exactly the same setup as all our other laptops - finally Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts

yes but just becuase the subnet is 255.255.255.0 doesnt mean that the dhcp scope is set up to use all 254 addresses, if could be just set to only lease 192.168.0.2 to 10 or something like that not the full range of 2-254 (i have put 2 as assuming .1 is the router, but again some are different like that as i know mine is .254)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread