+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Home drive not mapping on Win 7 client on 2003 domain in Technical; Hi there, I am having a problem getting a users home directory to map. I have a windows 7 desktop ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Home drive not mapping on Win 7 client on 2003 domain

Hi there,

I am having a problem getting a users home directory to map. I have a windows 7 desktop and a windows 2003 domain controller. I have configured the home directory to map in active directory to the H drive (\\servername.fqdn\home$\%username%) and I also have a login script running mapping a lot of network drives.

When the user logs in the home directory doesn't map and there are no errors in the event log. All of the other network drives are mapped fine from the login script. We have also had this problem with Windows Vista as well.

The user is able to access the folder that the home drive maps to and they are also able to log into a windows xp machine and it works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fox1977 View Post
    Hi there,

I am having a problem getting a users home directory to map. I have a windows 7 desktop and a windows 2003 domain controller. I have configured the home directory to map in active directory to the H drive (\\servername.fqdn\home$\%username%) and I also have a login script running mapping a lot of network drives.

When the user logs in the home directory doesn't map and there are no errors in the event log. All of the other network drives are mapped fine from the login script. We have also had this problem with Windows Vista as well.

The user is able to access the folder that the home drive maps to and they are also able to log into a windows xp machine and it works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
    Hi there the way this is done is because windows 7 like vista creates a .v2 profile, the way i configured mine last week was actually sitting down on the windows 7 machine and doing all my folder redirection on that machine, this is then works with xp but you have two different desktops so if you create a shortcut for word then it wouldn't show up on the other os. But that shouldn't be a problem here as the students and staff have set desktops.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I dont think it is to do with the profile as I am using local profiles as this is on a laptop.

I have just created a new home folder by changing the path the username.v2 and logged in with that user but it still doesn't work. Just going to change the home folder name back to the original one.

The thing that is annoying me the most is that it works fine in xp and from the login script mapping other network drives.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you cheeked the share permission and the NTFS permissions. It shounds that some how the windows 7 machine is not seeing the permissions in the same light as the XP machine. Why don't you make a test script and only map that drive.

Thank Post
    Is the user a local admin?
    I've had a similar issue when mapping home drives and it was caused by UAC it runs for a normal user but not an admin due to the way UAC strips certain rights from the admin token unless you use elevated rights.

Take a look at the 'EnableLinkedConnections' setting in this link.

After you turn on User Account Control in Windows Vista, programs may be unable to access some network locations

If you find this isn't the case then can you post the logon script, or tell us if the script works if you run it manually?

Thanks.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 23rd December 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Firstly if you're running Windows 7 clients I would seriously advise you run at least one 2008 Server. It'll make your life much easier managing the domain.

2008 Server has introduced deploying network drives using Group Policy instead of scripts which you can read about here

Thank Post
    Hi folks,

I ended up sorting it using the group policy. I used the RSAT tool Group Policy Management Console on a Win 7 machine to set this up:

Group Policy Team Blog : GP Preferences Will Reduce Logon Scripts : Mapping Drives

All sorted now.

Thank Post
    It looks like it was not the group policy settings. After leaving the computer on for best part of the day it looks like the active directory setting worked. We confirmed this by swapping the drive letters around to confirm it was the home drive setting.

Thank Post
    This can sometime happen if you are home folder shares on a dfs share. the way around this is to use the dfs share name then the %username% variable eg;
    \\domainname.local\sharename\%username%

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread