+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Maybe Windows 7 might be OK! in Technical; Just read this on The Register. Made even me think that Windows 7 might (that's might) have something going for ...

Thank Post

Maybe Windows 7 might be OK!

Just read this on The Register.

Made even me think that Windows 7 might (that's might) have something going for it.

regards

Simon

Mind you I'd love a copy of WinMin

Thank Post
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate RC on an old Dell D610 with a 1.73MHz processor and only 512Mb ram and I am amazed at how well it works...apart from a couple of drivers that were tricky to find (and by tricky I mean it took about 1/2 hour to track them down) installation was amazingly quick.

I particularly like how well hibernate works with a restart being very speedy.

I am even tempted to upgrade my main home PC and the only reason I haven't is that from XP I need to do a clean install and I can't be *rsed at present...

Thank Post
    running (after a LOT of problems) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Better than Vista, I'd rate it as good as XP. Running on a core2duo with 4gb ram, GeForce 8800gts with 768mb ram and 2 terrabytes of hd.

I like it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    All four of family laptops are running Win 7 Ultimate and it has been really stable and performed very well indeed as the other members of the family run lots of multimedia through them with no obvious flaws.

Bootup times are quick even though they only have 1 Gb Ram on 1.7Ghz mobile Sempron processors. Graphics are chrystal clear and all the games which they play are working fine with no extra drivers.

Being able to create a workgroup that all can share resources is excellent and works very well.

Overall I am very impressed.

Thank Post

performance

i have found the performance good, even on older kit, the problem is the user interface, and configuring this for small kids, disabled users etc.
    As they have removed the local default user configuration, this for me, at the moment, renders win7 useless ! ( practically anyway) as we neither need, nor want to use roming profile/data with users.
    I just can't make a network profile 'fit all' at the moment, but i will now have to spend ages trying to get around this problem.
    It worked perfectly in windows xp, you could setup everything on the default user. And it wasn't broken, so why 'FIX' it .
    making admins life harder every day

Thank Post
    Just for fun
    All four of family laptops are running Win 7 Ultimate
    Did you win the lottery and buy everyone new laptops in the past few weeks - or shudder - handed over tons of dosh to MS for OS upgrades just for the fun of it

Graphics are crystal clear
    And your previous OS didn't do this?
    Being able to create a workgroup that all can share resources is excellent and works very well.
    That sounds good - oh wait - I think I remember being able to that with Win311

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    I thought you were still running Windows 3.1 Si!!

Thank Post
    I thought the improvements offered by 311 were sufficient for me to upgrade last summer

regards

Simon

PS I should really see if I can get a VM of it up and running - I wonder if I've any discs anywhere???? (I've got a Win95 one that I did for an old chap who had an ancient database that wouldn't run on his shiny new PC and of course I still use Win98 VMs in my schools as file servers )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    (I've got a Win95 one that I did for an old chap who had an ancient database that wouldn't run on his shiny new PC and of course I still use Win98 VMs in my schools as file servers )
    Thats primarys for you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I had a play with 7 yesterday, needed a total hack to get ESXi console working correctly through a proxy, IE back button broke itself, and had a couple of other weird proxy auth issues. BEtter than their last effort, but not quite 'ready for the desktop' lol

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I thought the improvements offered by 311 were sufficient for me to upgrade last summer

regards

Simon

PS I should really see if I can get a VM of it up and running - I wonder if I've any discs anywhere???? (I've got a Win95 one that I did for an old chap who had an ancient database that wouldn't run on his shiny new PC and of course I still use Win98 VMs in my schools as file servers )
    I had a copy of 3.11 somewhere but lost it and it didn't work anyway on Virtual PC. The underlying DOS Operating System ran perfectly fine though which is a start.

Thank Post
    If you have a Technet subscription WIdows for Worksgroups 3.11 can be downloaded from there.

Thank Post

Smile

I had a heck of a time with Vista, grrr, and was seriously considering switching to Ubuntu if that was the best MS could offer!

But I was talked into giving 7 a go, and I've been pleasantly surprised, it runs beautifully on my home PC, with the exception of some "known compatibility issues" with older MS products (Vis Studio most recently) it's been really slick, no real complaints at all...

Now if I can only get used to new Office 2007... :-s

Thank Post
    Hi All - I have some interesting news re: Win 7 that you might be interested in...

Thank Post
    As promised -- see below!

I came across something that may be of interest to folks here: On Wednesday, December 12 at 2 pm ET/11 am PT there will be a FREE (and open to the public) virtual roundtable to discuss Windows 7 – issues with migration, key concerns for consumers and small business owners, how to know if you’re ready to upgrade…

The author of Windows 7 for Dummies is a panelist, as well as small business experts Gene Marks, Anita Campbell and Ramon Ray. There’s also a Twitter component by using the hashtag #Win7assist. Here’s the link to register – might be interesting to see what they have to say -- http://bit.ly/Win7COL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast