+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, XP & W7 Policys in Technical; Hi Guys Finally sorted the start menu & desktop folder redirection problem (Not the way I wanted but it works, ...
    Thank Post

Question XP & W7 Policys

Hi Guys

Finally sorted the start menu & desktop folder redirection problem (Not the way I wanted but it works, I have all the same desktop icons everywhere instead of diffrent set of icon in diffrerent locations because of different software configs

Is there a way that when someone clicks on a shortcut for a piece of software that is not installed for a message to come up and say what room that particlar software is installed?

Right so the main question here is the policys

Has you know Windows XP uses adm files for the administrative templates under both the computer and user, but Windows 7 uses the admx files. Windows XP cant read the admx files, nor can Windows 7 read the adm files.

So the question is, how do I setup the policy for both XP & Windows 7

Do I do this?

Step 1- Using 2003R2 or 2008R2 Servers, setup the windows & software settings, under both computer and user (Gussing 2008R2 is the right one, to get all the new Windows 7 settings)

Step 2- Using 2008R2 Server and the same Group policy object, setup the adminstrative settings under both computer and users (So this sets up the admx files)

Step 3- Using 2003R2 Server and the same Group policy object, setup the adminstrative settings under both computer and users (So this sets up the adm files)

Is this the correct way?

Or once I setup the Group Policy object in step 2 (Above) and go into the the group policy object in Server 2003R2, will this actually make the adm with the settings I done already form 2008R2?

Or another way

Step 1- Using 2003R2 or 2008R2 Servers, setup the windows & software settings, under both computer and user (Gussing 2008R2 is the right one, to get all the new Windows 7 settings)

Step 2- Using 2008R2 Server and make a NEW Group policy object, setup the adminstrative settings under both computer and users (So this sets up the admx files)

Step 3- Using 2003R2 Server and make a NEW Group policy object, setup the adminstrative settings under both computer and users (So this sets up the adm files)

Can someone please tell me if any of these methods are correct or if it is not, please tell me how to

Thanks in advance

Also Put in thread it three diffrent sections, has I didnt know where to put it
    Its in; 2003, 2008R2 & Windows 7
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 19th November 2009 at 06:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread