+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Creating user profile for use in Windows 7.0 in Technical; Hi all, I have been reading the MS KB on how to create a profile for use in Windows 7.0. ...

Thank Post

Creating user profile for use in Windows 7.0

Hi all,

I have been reading the MS KB on how to create a profile for use in Windows 7.0.

How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7

The guide seems very vague. It doesn't actually explain the steps you need to take to create the Unattend.xml using the Windows System Image Manager tool. Does anyone have step by step instructions or some guidance?

Thanks very much in advance for any help that can be offered.

Gary

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's quite a nice guide here - Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine – Start to Finish - Blog.BrianLeeJackson.com

You need the Windows System Image Manager to create the unattend.xml file - it's part of WAIK which you can find here - Download details: Windows® AIK for Windows® 7 (it's a 1.7Gb download!)

There are lots of web pages saying that the profile process doesn't work - that's also my experience (not that I want to put you off!) - but the unattend file does let you make a whole range of settings which can be useful (eg enabling/disabling features in Windows, running commands once the sysprepped image starts and so on) It's one of the excellent features that was introduced with Vista but because Vista was generally a nightmare, I don't think most people noticed!

3. Thanks to srochford from:

ronnoco (19th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link, looks good. I have the download just couldn't seem to follow those instructions. Ideally I want to do it the way Microsoft suggest as they said other ways might cause problems but i'll have a good read through your guide and do some testing.

Thanks again!

Gary

Thank Post

Found how to do it...

I've been having problems trying to copy Windows 7 profiles to use as mandatory profiles for my students. The traditional way of doing this in XP just wasn't available in Windows 7. I found to sites today that have solved this problem.

This site by Aidan Finn identifies the problem, and a solution written by 'Chris' appears on the page using an application called Windows Enabler available from this website.

If you extract then run the downloaded exe from USB key (or in my case a network share), you can copy the profile as before. Remember to right-click and 'Run as an Administrator' and turn the Enabler program on as stated in the notes. Note that the Copy To button is still greyed out, by miraculously works when you click it.

Note that if you are still using XP and Windows 7 (or Vista), you need to create a .V2 directory in the root of the XP profile you are using and copy the Windows 7 profile there. Once there you can do the standard things of renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man (both in the profile root folder and the .V2 folder) and renaming the root folder to *.man if you want a super mandatory profile.

Just in case the link to Aidan Finns' site is playing up, here are the stages listed by Chris:

1. Download Windows Enabler
    2. Save it to a thumb drive (or to an accessible network share)
    3. Right-Click and choose "Run As Administrator" on the Windows Enabler EXE on the system you wish to copy the profile
    4. Click the Notification Tray icon to turn Windows Enabler on
    5. Open the USER PROFILES dialog and click on the greyed out COPY TO... button to see it become enabled.
    6. Copy the profile as you used to in XP and Vista.

Hope this helps you - certainly worked for me!

6. Thanks to Spot from:

ronnoco (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Spot, that was really handy!

Gary

Thank Post
    Is this Windows Enabler option the best way to copy the profiles at the moment?
    Could I use this method to copy a users profile (That's I've customized) over the Default User's profile, then use the Ghost Console to create and image and then push it out (and reset the SIDs)?

Thank Post
    whoa whoa, don't do that. Profiles now have a TON of user specfic registry keys added to them. I mean it'll work but who knows what future issues you'll have that you wouldn't have had. MS blocked off the "copy to" thing for a reason, not just to annoy us.
    The Deployment Guys : Configuring Default User Settings ? Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

The manual profile copy process can cause issues such as:

* Their list of most frequently run programs is not cleared
    * Whether the user has been introduced to the Start menu (will be set to TRUE for the source account, but should be FALSE for new users). Windows Explorer does some special things the first time you log on to introduce you to the Start menu and other new features.
    * Whether the user is an administrator (and should therefore see the Administrative Tools, etc).
    * The personalized name for “My Documents” will be incorrect. All users documents folders will be called “Administrator's Documents”. This is documented in the Knowledge Base article “The Desktop.ini File Does Not Work Correctly When You Create a Custom Default Profile” (The Desktop.ini file does not work correctly when you create a custom default profile).
    * The default download directory for IE will be set to the Administrator's Desktop folder.
    * The default Save and Open locations for some application with point to the Administrator's documents folder.
    * Windows 7 Libraries are broken.

Thank Post
    I take your point.

However, currently we work with mandatory roaming profiles, so I log on to the Windows 7 machine as a 'normal' network user using a local profile, and make the changes I want for student users. I then log off, restart the machine, log on as the domain administrator and copy the just created local user profile up to the server to the folder \\Server\Profiles\Student.man. You have to be careful about setting the permissions when you copy the profile - must be set to 'authenticated users' or 'everyone' or you will find users having problems even reading stuff from the registry within the profile.

I certainly wouldn't advocate using an administrators' account, nor would I suggest overwriting the machines' Default User account. That sounds like a path to madness to me!
    Last edited by Spot; 28th January 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this..

But Ive just done a Win7 install.. got it all the way I like it now how do I copy this profile / settings so that any user that logs onto the machine will get these settings? I used to just copy and paste into ALL Users and Default User, but I dont see them in win7 ?

Thank Post

Best Default user method I have found..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread