+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Starter Edition Problems Help Needed! in Technical; Hey guys Ok just brought my mrs a Asus Seashell 1005HA Netbook which comes with Windows 7 Starter Edition, There ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows 7 Starter Edition Problems Help Needed!

Hey guys

Ok just brought my mrs a Asus Seashell 1005HA Netbook which comes with Windows 7 Starter Edition,

There are two main problems we are having,

First Problem: My desktop pc is running Windows 7 Ultimate and is on the Homegroup network but cant for the life of me get the netbook connected to it, it sees the shared folders that are on my pc including drives that i have shared for all to use . but when trying to join the homegroup i have created by entering the password the netbook just doesnt connect ?

Second problem: Ok after the netbook had finished installing all its Asus crap, I removed all the gumpth i.e dodgy asus games trend antivirus ect . I finished all the windows updates and updated flash java ect ect, Ok when my mrs signs into facebook and visits one of her games Cafe World , IE really slows right down and the people in her cafe are moving really jerky like the refresh rate is slowing down.

Any ideas fellow geeks as I am running out of ideas and patience.

Thank Post
    Don't really know a lot about starter edition myself. I do know that many are using netbooks with 7 Home Premium. Perhaps starter does not have all of the home networking stuff the other versions have? Could you not upgrade to home premium?

You sure the slowdown on the webgame might not be because the netbook is not very powerful and is struggling to do the browser and java games and OS? Maybe not but i had a hp mini with a non atom processor and it was damn weak and slow. Oh and i would also check diff browsers just incase and maybe make sure the onboard graphics are up to date.

3. Thanks to dalsoth from:

CPLTD (14th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Starter can join a homegroup, but not start one. Not that helps you much, but what you are trying to, should work.

How does myface and that game perform in other browsers?

5. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It comes with 1GB RAM? Pop a 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM in? Bit pricey on Crucial but I'd recommend it for better overall performance.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 14th November 2009 at 01:26 PM.

7. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Not sure about the networking but for the web app download a copy of Firefox Portable and see if it's the same in that. I use it all the time to rule out IE issues on systems where the user doeesn't want Firefox installing or you can't install it for any reason.

Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

Also I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an NC10 and I really haven't found any sites that it can't cope with, I can use iplayer and youtube without and issues.

9. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok quick update one problem sorted, Installed Firefox and facebook game working fine not jerky or anything , never thought i would praise firefox as I'm a avid IE lover lol dont tell anyone but well done firefox , many thanks guys now its just the networking problem

Thank Post
    I recall the networking requires a password you use for each computer you add to the homegroup thingy? You done this and checked it was right? Firewall turned off to test if that is messing it up? Antivirus, spyware off just in case? Tried getting another machine at home on the same network and test if that also can not connect? Recreate the home group again and start over?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    I recall the networking requires a password you use for each computer you add to the homegroup thingy? You done this and checked it was right? Firewall turned off to test if that is messing it up? Antivirus, spyware off just in case? Tried getting another machine at home on the same network and test if that also can not connect? Recreate the home group again and start over?
    all of the above has been done correctly bud thats why i dont get it, i have even changed the password a few time ect.

Thank Post
    If i could not test the network with another machine i would probably crack out Clonezilla, take a quick image of the netbook to an external drive and reinstall the netbook with no extra fluff on it. If it fails still then at least you can reimage it to how you like it.

Does a wired connection make any difference or wireless? Worth a shot too. Does ping and such work? Is your router blocking it? Got the right ip range? check it all if you have not already.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok tried wired connection and still the same, any idea's ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So the saga continues , I buy a 2GB DDR2 SODIMM the right spec PC2-6400 as I know most stuff needs this to run and its showing as 1GB installed I have reseated the module took the battery out rebooted a few times but nope still showing 1GB installed not 2GB , so any ideas on this one guys.
    Last edited by CPLTD; 27th November 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I no this may sound stupid but you are putting your computername\username and not your mrs computername\username aren't you? May sound stupid but seen a few people trying to do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    I no this may sound stupid but you are putting your computername\username and not your mrs computername\username aren't you? May sound stupid but seen a few people trying to do it.
    explain ?

Thank Post
    When you are trying to join your home network and it asks for a username and password. You have to put the name of the computer which the home network is set up on then the username.

So for example if i set up a home network on computer1 and my username on computer 1 was ryan and i want to join the network from computer 2 then when it pops up the login box i have to type computer1\ryan and then enter the password of that user.

If im right when that happens by default it will automatically put the computer name of the computer your using.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    When you are trying to join your home network and it asks for a username and password. You have to put the name of the computer which the home network is set up on then the username.

So for example if i set up a home network on computer1 and my username on computer 1 was ryan and i want to join the network from computer 2 then when it pops up the login box i have to type computer1\ryan and then enter the password of that user.

If im right when that happens by default it will automatically put the computer name of the computer your using.
    lol ive left the network query a while ago bud im more worried about the netbook not seeing 2GB and reporting 1GB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast