+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, various windows 7 problems in Technical; Right, first problem: When setting a desktop wallpaper via GPO the desktop is black, if i set the GPO that ...
    Thank Post

various windows 7 problems

Right, first problem:
    When setting a desktop wallpaper via GPO the desktop is black, if i set the GPO that says "hide and disable all items on the desktop" i can see the wallpaper fine....except now i obviously have no icons

Problem two:
    Removing the libraries folders from explorer/quick launch/desktop - registry hack
    FIXED

Problem three:
    creating a mandatory profile - did "copy to" on the default user profile, copied it to a remote location, created a DFS share with read and write access for students group, logged a user on and it created a "Student.V2" folder, logged off and set all permissions to read only, edited the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man and then messed about in the registry hive
    FIXED

Problem four:
    Start menu redirection, turned out to be a group policy i had set to not allow user folders
    FIXED

problem five:
    removing "network" and "favorites" section from the explorer navigation pane - both registry hacks
    FIXED after alot of registry hacking

I take no credit for any of these registry hacks, one was found on here and the other two were found via google, many thanks to those people!

This hack will remove the “Network” section from windows explorer navigation pane:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\pol icies\NonEnum]
    {F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}"=dword:00000001

This hack will remove all traces of the libraries folders:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{031E482 5-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
    “{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}”=-

This hack will remove items from the Favourites section of the navigation pane(though favorites will still remain):
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder
    Delete both Attributes and PinToNameSpaceTree
    Last edited by mrbios; 6th November 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Ah ignore problem two, i have the start menus working now, i had "remove user's folders from the start menu" enabled, now disabled and all working fine

As simple as it is the desktop wallpaper is becoming the most irritating, once i've got that sorted i have every single setting in place and ready for me to create a mandatory user profile

Thank Post
    try this for starters

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide - Vista Horizons

I know its Vista but apparently the process is the same

4. Thanks to JJonas from:

mrbios (6th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers, i seem to have created a mandatory user profile now and i think i've fixed my problem with the libraries folder by editing the settings for the registry hive in the mandatory profile

So the only problems that remain now are the desktop wallpaper not being displayed when i have desktop icons enabled and not being able to remove the "lock" and "switch user" buttons on the start menu (lock doesn't actually work but it's annoying having it there)

Thank Post

switch user

Hi

I believe the group policy to disable 'switch user' is:
    Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon "Hide entry points for Fast User Switching" option and set it to Enabled.

I will have a look at our group policy for the lock GPO.

Andy
    Last edited by roty80; 6th November 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

7. Thanks to roty80 from:

mrbios (6th November 2009)

Thank Post

lock computer

For students we have this group policy set:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Ctrl+Alt+Del ->

'Remove Lock Computer'

But I am not sure if it removes it from the start menu too

*UPDATE*
    Just logged on as a test student. It doesn't remove it from the start menu but when you click it nothing happens.
    Last edited by roty80; 6th November 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: updated

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Cheers, i seem to have created a mandatory user profile now and i think i've fixed my problem with the libraries folder by editing the settings for the registry hive in the mandatory profile

So the only problems that remain now are the desktop wallpaper not being displayed when i have desktop icons enabled and not being able to remove the "lock" and "switch user" buttons on the start menu (lock doesn't actually work but it's annoying having it there)
    couldnt you do the desktop wallpaper in the profiles registry as well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    couldnt you do the desktop wallpaper in the profiles registry as well?
    Well i've been looking around and microsoft actually appear to have a bug with the wallpaper GPO and recommend putting the setting in the registry, but that didn't fix it

Thank Post
    Updated my OP to show where i am now, two problems remain, does anyone have any answers to these?

I shall commence my software testing as soon as those two problems are fixed, then once i have all my software checked and i know everything is working ok i'll finally be all set for a windows server 2008R2 and windows 7 clients rollout ^_^

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have the issue with the desktop background, I have tried the registry editing, changing the default background etc etc and nothing works as yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I have the issue with the desktop background, I have tried the registry editing, changing the default background etc etc and nothing works as yet.
    Good to know im not the only one here that's tearing my hair out with it

Why is there no simple GPO for turning off and disabling the navigation panel? Seems silly that the simplest of things isn't included, at the moment im chopping and hacking away at the registry like some mad registry lumber jack!

Thank Post
    Got the background issue on a PC here today as well, I can pick a solid colour but not any wallpapers, choosing them just results in a black screen.

t_h
    Thank Post
    Would be more useful for others if you left the original post how it was.

Thank Post
    Do you guys have a "default user.v2" set in netlogon, if so did you set a background in that profile?
    It seems to be that that is breaking it for us, if I remove the netlogon profile and then logon with a user that's not used the machine, I can change the background to whatever I want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    Would be more useful for others if you left the original post how it was.
    I'll edit it soon with all the fixes to what problems i had, before it was just me asking the questions with only one answer in this thread so it wasn't alot of use to anyone as i've found the fixes myself eventually, i've been trying to work on this test domain for the past four days so getting rid of problems rather than leaving them there in a messy muddle just felt like i was clearing my mind a bit EDIT: ive put the questions back in and blended five and six into one question, i'll add the fixes in soon so it might help people EDIT AGAIN: there you go, all the fixes that i have used are on there now, only the registry ones are really of any use to you lot though

DrCheese, i don't have the default user.v2 in netlogon, but i do have a mandatory profile in a DFS share which i've edited and added various wallpaper registry entries as well as editing existing ones, nothing has fixed it yet though
    Last edited by mrbios; 6th November 2009 at 09:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast