+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Opening Networked Files on Win7 in Technical; So, I've just upgraded my PC to Win7, and now cannot open any files which are saved on the network ...
    Thank Post

Opening Networked Files on Win7

So, I've just upgraded my PC to Win7, and now cannot open any files which are saved on the network - Office 2007 just sits there saying "downloading filename.xxx" for ages before eventually saying it can't open it. Files saved on pen drives are fine. The problem exhibits whether I open the file from within Word/Excel/whatever or double-click it from Computer.

The PC is joined to a Windows 2003 (RM CC3) network, although I haven't yet left and rejoined since upgrading - would that be worth trying? The Office help pages said something about making folders available offline, which isn't appropriate long-term, but this made no difference anyway.

The identical set-up on Vista was fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Have you tried disabling the antivirus? This behaviour is normally indicative of Word timing out while waiting for the OK from an antivirus scan. It's possible whatever AV you're using isn't entirely happy with the upgrade.

Thank Post
    This may or may not be relevant but try turning off 'Large TCP Offload' in your network adapter settings.
    (Under Network Connections - Right click adapter -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced)

There are some issues with W7 and XP certainly with file copies if that's turned on.
    I've generally made a habit of turning it off everywhere I go just to be on the safe side.

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Have you tried disabling the antivirus? This behaviour is normally indicative of Word timing out while waiting for the OK from an antivirus scan. It's possible whatever AV you're using isn't entirely happy with the upgrade.
    There could well be something funny with the AV as the Action Centre thing is telling me to check it. How come it is okay opening the same file from a pen drive, though?

Thank Post
    Many antivirus programs use a network filter driver to intercept and scan data that comes over a network connection. This driver would be used to scan files that were on a file server, but not those from a USB drive. This particular component of the AV could be what's causing the problem.

Thank Post
    Av software removed, left and rejoined the domain but I'm still unable to open networked files. Any other ideas?

Thank Post
    It is something profile-related, as I have logged in as a different user and can access network files. Curiously, my other account could open Notepad files but not Office ones.

I tried deleting my profile, but couldn't seem to do it - I deleted the enjay.v2 folder in server\rmsysadminprofiles and deleted all the files from C:\Users\enjay (I couldn't delete the folder as another user) but still it picked up all my old settings from somewhere.

I'll probably just carry on with this new account now, most odd though.

Thank Post
    On CC3 your Application Data is stored in the My Settings folder inside your My Documents (at least it is on mine). Could try clearing that, or at least the Office-related stuff from there.

Thank Post
    Tried that, AngryTechnician; also tried resetting the profile but still it came back from somewhere.

I've pretty much got my new user account configured how I want it now (still can't give it full local admin rights, though) so I may just keep using that now...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread