+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Another Windows 7 vs Linux Story [And Apple] in Technical; To quote the post I have just read: "Former Microsoft Employee: Linux is the future, even after Windows 7 release" ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another Windows 7 vs Linux Story [And Apple]

To quote the post I have just read:

"Former Microsoft Employee: Linux is the future, even after Windows 7 release"

Extracts form the post:

Microsoft is greatly hampered by backward compatibility and old code.
    I think we already knew that.

If Apple is threatened by Windows 7, Linux is much less so. Linux runs on the same inexpensive PC hardware, has a robust worldwide community of programmers, less baggage, a better development model, and can be acquired for free.
    I think that that is also accepted/known.

Many of the benefits of Linux are subtle. It doesn't come with any nagware. The default media player supports both many formats including QuickTime and Windows media. Likewise, the instant messaging program supports 16 different protocols. The GUI is more customizable. But the best feature of Linux is something that neither Windows nor the Macintosh have: a rich set of free applications, installable with one click
    I think Rory Cellan-Jones might have missed this point?

Full article: Linux is the future, even after Windows 7 release

Source: TechFlash.Com

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    To quote the post I have just read:

"Former Microsoft Employee: Linux is the future, even after Windows 7 release"
    On the face of it I'd agree with the M$ employee. I think it's a case of when and not if Linux will become the defacto standard OS. I think Ubuntu are leading the way and improving release upin release. I just don't think their time has come just yet.

I think there'll be a more interesting Linux v. Windows debate come the release of Windows 8.

Long term I think OS X is destined to go the way of the Amiga and RISCOS. Although a vastly superior OS (IMHO) unless Apple open up and allow clones it'd never gain the market share required to rival either Linux or Windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the issue is this - as linux moves more and more into the other devices you use in your life - your tv/set-top-box, your phone, smart-fridges etc..., the more reason you'll have to *not* use Windows. The world of computing is moving to a 'service' industry - ie. your pc is there simply to provide an interface to the many services available - be they streaming media, the web, and even games (look at games consoles and the way they're moving to 'pay as you go', or games such as eve-online and WoW), and more functions such as smarthomes and the like.

It won't matter what OS to use - so why pay for one, when Linux will do it, for free?

Thank Post
    I agree with localzuk. I don't think Linux will ever replace Windows on the desktop but the idea of a desktop PC will be replaced and the class of devices that replace it will be more open and will definitly include Linux, i'd expect to see MS there as well but their period of total dominance will be over by then.

Linux just need a bit more spit and polish and 'less' choice consumers don't like it and of course Office, Photoshop and a few other apps that people 'know' then it's there.

Thank Post
    Realistically Linux should be a lot more popular than it is.

I still do not understand why there are millions of distro's and still more popping up all over the place - which ultimately holds it back in my eyes... a single open source OS which is managed properly would be far more successful at breaking into the main stream.

It's nice to see Ubuntu emerging as the most publicised distro though - even if the bulk of that is probably down to manufacturers such as Dell offering it up as a pre-installed option from the factory.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    It's nice to see Ubuntu emerging as the most publicised distro though - even if the bulk of that is probably down to manufacturers such as Dell offering it up as a pre-installed option from the factory.
    I think this in itself is progress. Sure the likes of Dell and HP are only offering a Ubuntu option from their website rather than on the high street but this is a step forward compared to the situation only a couple of years ago.

I don't think the desktop, however much we move more into 'service computing', will ever be killed off. And I think Windows cannot last forever. It's only a matter of time till something supercedes it and Linux is the most promosing alternative at the moment.

Thank Post
    I still do not understand why there are millions of distro's and still more popping up all over the place - which ultimately holds it back in my eyes... a single open source OS which is managed properly would be far more successful at breaking into the main stream.

"I'm not happy with Slackware doing this 'code fork'"

I don't like the way Debian do this 'code fork'

and the latest "Oracle messing with MySQL 'code fork'. This one might not happen though.

and so on.... I personally like the way that Ubuntu is taking off in the consumer area, I've played with so many distros over the years but i've never dared racommend one to a (none tech) friend. So many 'big' distros have come and gone, some I nearly recommended to friends only for them to start to fade into the mist.
    On the server and pro side it doesn't matter so much but the desktop needs to be 'much' more consistent.

I could break my jaw yawning over the whole Windows 7 vs Linux thing though (where's the yawn icon?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    whats the point of desktop computing if you can carry a computer in your pocket?
    It can't just be me that lives on a browser, can it? The web gets better and better, and makes the desktop more and more irrelevant. The only thing that seems to hold back webservices are people with vested interests in keeping their old school tech relevant.
    With a cloud of computing power available, I can't see the desktop computer being around forever and without the desktop market to lock people in MS are on a more even footing with ubuntu/android for the home user.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    whats the point of desktop computing if you can carry a computer in your pocket?
    It can't just be me that lives on a browser, can it? The web gets better and better, and makes the desktop more and more irrelevant.
    I have a pocket computer - an iPhone. I live on the internet and for my internet needs the iPhone is fantastic. Does everything the desktop can. However there are a lot of things that even if they moved more into web based services I'd still want a desktop for.

Word processing, spreadsheets, image manipulation, video editing, presentations, programming.

There are probably a whole host of other things but these are the ones I do on a regular basis. Could you immagine writting 1000 words on an iPhone - ouch! One day GoogleApps may compete with microsoft office. But even if it does get as feature rich I'd be wanting to use it from a desktop for serious work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It can't just be me that lives on a browser, can it?
    I agree with your points about web services and the cloud in general. But there are still some apps that will only work realistically on the desktop at the moment. One example for me personally is photo editing. I'm aware of online versions of cut-down Photoshop and Flickr's Picnic; but they don't compare to a local install of Adobe Lightroom (or similar software) working on local files.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I agree with your points about web services and the cloud in general. But there are still some apps that will only work realistically on the desktop at the moment. One example for me personally is photo editing. I'm aware of online versions of cut-down Photoshop and Flickr's Picnic; but they don't compare to a local install of Adobe Lightroom (or similar software) working on local files.
    A touch screen tablet whether its windows, linux or heaven forbid OS X

Axiotron : Modbook

That way you can have a virtual keyboard , no need for a mouse and you can either use web services or local apps

Thank Post
    It can't just be me that lives on a browser, can it? The web gets better and better, and makes the desktop more and more irrelevant. The only thing that seems to hold back webservices are people with vested interests in keeping their old school tech relevant.
    With a cloud of computing power available, I can't see the desktop computer being around forever and without the desktop market to lock people in MS are on a more even footing with ubuntu/android for the home user.
    I can agree to a point we're currently directing everything that has the option onto our VLE and using more online services in general. I can only agree with the computer in your pocket part if you have a 'real' screen that you can use when you want to 'work' rather than 'play'. The 10" screen on my NC10 is as small as I could possibly work from and I have a 19" TFT that I plug it into for real work.

I just don't get along with the iPhone at present but the concept is certainly something that I like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I have a pocket computer - an iPhone. I live on the internet and for my internet needs the iPhone is fantastic. Does everything the desktop can. However there are a lot of things that even if they moved more into web based services I'd still want a desktop for.

Word processing, spreadsheets, image manipulation, video editing, presentations, programming.

There are probably a whole host of other things but these are the ones I do on a regular basis. Could you immagine writting 1000 words on an iPhone - ouch! One day GoogleApps may compete with microsoft office. But even if it does get as feature rich I'd be wanting to use it from a desktop for serious work.
    Many of the things you list could easily be handled with a touchscreen television based system. Video editing for the average home user, for example, is a very simple thing. As is making presentations and image manipulation.

Word processing, ok that is one that is currently a little odd - voice tech is poor to say the least, so a keyboard interface is still needed. However, by no means does that need to be on a desktop. I can see it being, for a home user, another function of your 'house computer' which will integrate with your TV.

Programming is never going to leave desktops - that is a different issue.

I think you're mixing average (read home) users with business users though really. I'd agree a desktop will still live on for many business functions - but these will all be done via cloud computing instead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still do not understand why there are millions of distro's and still more popping up all over the place -
    Perhaps because your view goes against one of the guiding principles of Linux and OSS? Linux is all about choice.
    Say you install Ubuntu and are unhappy at how it handles media codecs, then just install Mint. Don't like Gnome and want a faster window manager, install Xubuntu.
    If you really want to configure things then make your own respin!

Can you do any of that with Windows?

Distros pop up becuase someone sees a need for it. If they are right then it becomes popular.

a single open source OS which is managed properly would be far more successful at breaking into the main stream.
    I would hate to see one single Open Source distro and thankfully it will never happen as there will always be people out there wanting to create their own distro.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That way you can have a virtual keyboard , no need for a mouse and you can either use web services or local apps
    Seriously? Have you tried typing on a tablet PC. All right for 100 words or so, but anything more serious and RSI would be the least of your worries. Probably why Tablet PC's have never really taken off.

Word processing, ok that is one that is currently a little odd - voice tech is poor to say the least, so a keyboard interface is still needed. However, by no means does that need to be on a desktop. I can see it being, for a home user, another function of your 'house computer' which will integrate with your TV.
    Convergance technology is a dead end and always has been. It seems like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow until you get up close. The problem with using voice recognition to dictate an essay on to a cloud wordprocessor on your TV is not the power of voice recogonition. It's the arguements.

WIFE - I want to watch eastenders
    SON - I want to play Finaly Fantasy XXXII
    DAD - You can't I need to to complete a report for the morning

Programming is never going to leave desktops - that is a different issue.
    Raise your hands all you amature bedroom programmers, You iphone app creators, you web page designers.

I think you're mixing average (read home) users with business users though really. I'd agree a desktop will still live on for many business functions - but these will all be done via cloud computing instead.
    No offence, but I think you under estermate what the 'average' home user uses a computer for. Theres a lot of people with a lot of serious hobbies out there. Especially in the world of music, video and photo. Without significant money spent on high speed internet connections and serious server farms even a budding amature photographer would get discontented with 'the cloud'.

I'm not saying that the cloud isn't going to be big and important. It's just not the replacement to the desktop. Joe Average does actually use some of that power on his desk.

Besides back OT. The argument isn't wether touchscreens can work or if the cloud will ever be useful. The arguement is Windows vs Linux vs Mac (again). If we agree that the desktop will not die (regardless of if we use speech recognition or a keyboard or a touchscreen). Even if it's primary purpose is to access the cloud. Then we need a desktop OS.

I think Linux is now showing signs of getting into a position where it can challange that market. I think by the time Windows 8 is released there'll be an interesting Windows v. Linux debate and I think Linux will start gaining a sizable market share.

As I said above, unless Apple open up to clones they will eventually fade away. I mean lets face it, the iPod saved them big time!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast