+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows Easy Transfer in Technical; I'm just about to rebuild my laptop with Windows 7 and was thinking about using the Windows Easy Transfer feature, ...
    Thank Post

Windows Easy Transfer

I'm just about to rebuild my laptop with Windows 7 and was thinking about using the Windows Easy Transfer feature, I'm just wondering if it transferes lots of crud as well?
    Anyone had any issues with it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-transfer.aspx

Thank Post
    This task is on my "List of things to do during half term" so would be interested in any comments. I'm guessing it will be similar to the usual File and Transfer settings, where you will be able to select what you want to transfer. But I've not looked at it yet so don't know if it is.

Thank Post
    That's a very good tool, automated but with advanced options so you can change settings, very straight forward to use as well and it generated a list of all software that you need to reinstall afterwards.

As for the Windows 7 install I'm impressed again it took about 40 mins on my NC10, enter a couple of settings at the start come back later to find a fully working system.

4. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

leco (24th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Ah list of software to re-install now that's useful. I understand that if something happens and the transfer can't be done, it doesn't just stall but exits and gives a report. However, think I need to ensure that I've got all the distro discs before I begin. Next week sometime. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you are always going to be better off backing everything up and re-installing from scratch.

How would this affect you?

GJE

Thank Post
    I think you are always going to be better off backing everything up and re-installing from scratch.

To be honest it didn't bring too much rubbish accross I didn't notice any difference in performance after the restore. It saved so much time everything was back inc desktop background.

Another surprise was that Windows 7 only takes up 8Gb on the disk and 3Gb or that is pagefile and hiberfile.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I think you are always going to be better off backing everything up
    Certainly would back everything up anyway.

and re-installing from scratch.
    GJE
    Installing from scratch I would almost surely forget some setting or other. I dread to think about how many tweaks I've made over the years. All my apps are just how I like them now, but to have to set it all up again - urgh makes me shudder.

Good to know the tool works, thanks cookie-monster

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    To be honest it didn't bring too much rubbish accross I didn't notice any difference in performance after the restore. It saved so much time everything was back inc desktop background.

Another surprise was that Windows 7 only takes up 8Gb on the disk and 3Gb or that is pagefile and hiberfile.
    The main reason I said that was because the other week I updated my Mac to Snow Leopard. Installing over the top of Leopard.

Last week I decided to re-install from scratch. My Mac is so much faster. I've had the same experience on my Samsung P510 with upgrading to Windows 7 and a clean install of Windows 7.

The third one was my iPhone - something went very wrong last week with it and I ended up restoring it to factory settings and uploading the latest software/firmware. The phone flies by now.

It could be just a case of time adds bloat but the differences in all three examples was noticable.

GJE

Thank Post
    The main reason I said that was because the other week I updated my Mac to Snow Leopard. Installing over the top of Leopard
    Well you know...that's why I installed a good OS

Last week I decided to re-install from scratch. My Mac is so much faster. I've had the same experience on my Samsung P510 with upgrading to Windows 7 and a clean install of Windows 7.
    It was a clean install of 7 the settings wizard thing just copies over work and app settings, it didn't seem to slow the system down at all from the clean install when I restored the settings but it did save alot of time. It seems to be a really good tool.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread