Windows 7 Thread, Someone help me with Windows7... in Technical; Got the £30 thingy and have downloaded it, not yet got the activation code but will await that.
Anyway, downloaded ...
23rd October 2009, 03:20 PM #1
Someone help me with Windows7...
Got the £30 thingy and have downloaded it, not yet got the activation code but will await that.
Anyway, downloaded the 3 files, it extracts but how the hell do you get the thing to boot. Its probably me, tried the USB flash drives and also copying the "extracted setup files" to DVD, still wont boot.
What am I doing wrong?
(its end of term and I have had enough of using my brain, cheers guys and gals)
IDG Tech News
23rd October 2009, 03:26 PM #2
Do you not get a .iso file?
23rd October 2009, 03:27 PM #3
How to make the box and exe files into a bootable ISO...
1) Run 'Win7-P-Retail-en-us-***.exe'... expandedSetup dir will be spat out.
2) Copy 'expandedSetup' directory somewhere (D: for the purposes of this...)
3) Make sure 'etfsboot.com' has copied over from the source boot dir to your copy boot dir (mine didnt copy over)
4) Download 'oscdimg.exe' and dump in C:\windows\system32
5) Open a command prompt and run:
6) oscdimg -bD:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD D:\expandedSetup D:\Windows7.iso (exactly, I know no gaps between "-bD:\")
This will then give you a bootable iso which you can burn to DVD.
1) install W7 with NO serial number - let it complete until you have a usable desktop
2) FROM WITHIN W7 run the setup.exe from the DVD
3) install W7 AGAIN this time as an upgrade
4) once installed activate using your upgrade serial as normal.
This is exactly what i did last night and it all worked and activated fine.
Hope this helps
3 Thanks to jamin100:
badders (23rd October 2009), Dodgex1 (23rd October 2009), rad (23rd October 2009)
23rd October 2009, 03:34 PM #4
Cheers for that, I installed over Vista as "custom" (went home premium to professional) but I was a bit bothered if it all cocked up i'd be installing vista from scratch again then having to copy that across and run it from within V.
23rd October 2009, 04:16 PM #5
No you get an .exe file you run which setups up the download to download the .box .exe files this you then extract extracts to the expandedsetup folder
Originally Posted by localzuk
god knows why they dont make this easy like they did for the RC & beta
23rd October 2009, 04:17 PM #6
I got the oscdimg.exe file from here
23rd October 2009, 04:26 PM #7
Not forgetting the USB boot drive tool for upgrading those pesk tablet PCs with no DVD drives
Microsoft Store: Download Manager Help
By StuartWhite in forum Windows 7
Last Post: 30th June 2011, 12:55 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)