+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Enterprise on a mixed network in Technical; Hi all, We're looking into incorporating windows 7 into our network. All our machines are on Windows XP and we ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Enterprise on a mixed network

Hi all,

We're looking into incorporating windows 7 into our network. All our machines are on Windows XP and we have our 4 Domain controllers on windows 2k3. We have a few windows 2008 servers now too and we are wondering what we would need in order to use Windows 7 on our network.

Do you have to use Windows 2008 gpo's?
    Do you need to upgrade to windows 2008 rc 2?
    How do madatory profiles work on 7, or do you even need to use them now?
    Are there any things you need to do beforehand?

We'd be grateful if anyone has experience joining and administering windows 7 pc's on their network and could help us

Thanks!!!

Thank Post
    I took a copy of the Windows 7 ADMX teplates but had no luck applying GPO's to Win7 machines.

Upgrading one of our DC's to R2 by the end of this week, will give you some more news then

Currently migrating our Sharepoint / Shared Area's to a 2008R2 member server

Simon

Edit - We have also been using Roaming profiles since installing Vista across the network. With redirected Desktop / docs / everything they have been pretty good.

We have to delete the odd one now and then, however the start menu's can be built with Server 2008 Group Policy Client Side Extensions (what we do).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Edit - We have also been using Roaming profiles since installing Vista across the network. With redirected Desktop / docs / everything they have been pretty good.

We have to delete the odd one now and then, however the start menu's can be built with Server 2008 Group Policy Client Side Extensions (what we do).
    When we try to login using a student account, that are mandatory, we get an error stating:

User profile service service failed.

When I researched this, it states that it is because of a corrupt profile. However the machine doesnt have any profiles on it!

I made a new user without a profile path or mapping any documents and it worked......

Is there a way around this?

And thanks psymon, if you find out what you need to apply policies then i'd be grateful

Thank Post
    We are fully 2008 R2 now with xp clients, we have a working image for win 7 and have tested deployment and group policy. You need to apply gpo's from 2008 as they have all the features that win 7 will use. You can apply GP from win 2003 but will have very limited functionality. We currently use mandatory profiles for xp but was kinda thinking of going to a local profile as I heard mandatory was a no no in Vista, not sure if it's the same scenario for win7 but presume it is as it's a follow on from vista.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gingesean View Post
    When we try to login using a student account, that are mandatory, we get an error stating:

User profile service service failed.

When I researched this, it states that it is because of a corrupt profile. However the machine doesnt have any profiles on it!

I made a new user without a profile path or mapping any documents and it worked......

Is there a way around this?

And thanks psymon, if you find out what you need to apply policies then i'd be grateful
    This usually only happens on local profiles :S

Browse to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current User\ProfileList\

And check to see if one of the SID's is appended with .BAK. If so find the related SID without the .BAK and rename it to .TEMP and delete the .BAK extension off the original.

Weird error, I have only tested this on local profiles though :S

Source: POST BY MAREK

'User Profile Service service failed the logon - Technology Questions

Thank Post
    Ye It doesnt have any profiles stored, students anyway, and get's that error.

Our domain admin accounts work fine but we don't have directed profiles...

Thank Post
    We are having "User profile service service failed." on both vista and windows 7 that i've setup in the past 2 days. Fresh logons so no corrupt profiles but cant seem to find a fix. Cant go back to XP as it doesn't see the HDD controllers.

As above our domain admin's can all log on fine to these machines.

Thank Post
    Do you use mandatory profiles and do you have a .v2 version of the mandatory profile created (Vista and 7 use a different structure from XP)? It may be worth checking the machine event view to track down what is causing the user profile service to error out.

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Hmm seems you have managed to find the issue, there is no .v2 profiles on the server although i'm sure they should be there... now to fix that problem lol.

Cheers

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    I took a copy of the Windows 7 ADMX teplates but had no luck applying GPO's to Win7 machines.

Upgrading one of our DC's to R2 by the end of this week, will give you some more news then

Currently migrating our Sharepoint / Shared Area's to a 2008R2 member server

Simon

Im sure I read that you need to copy the ADMX templates MANUALLY to each DC if u have 2008 as it doesnt do it for you now.....................I was told

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Im sure I read that you need to copy the ADMX templates MANUALLY to each DC if u have 2008 as it doesnt do it for you now.....................I was told
    Had a WMI Filter suggesting that the policies only applied to Vista as we overhauled the whole network last summer, leaving only the accounts dept on XP (Old software).

Changed to say Vista onwards, and it works a treat. ADMX templates moved to the central store on one of the DC's did the job.
    Si

AIT
    Thank Post

Moved To Windows 7 - Our Problems

Morning,
    During the summer we moved our School (George Spencer) to Windows 7. Except for odd bits of hardware that are still running windows xp.
    So Currently: 600 machines windows 7 and 100 xp machines.
    Fully windows 7 windows xp mixed environment and working perfectly.
    Both mandatory and roaming user profiles using the .V2 extension.
    We also have implemented WMI Filters as the major problem we faced were printer drivers between the two operating systems.
    In regards to the admx, you are not required to run windows 7 machines on admx. However if you wish to actually restrict the user you would either have to turn one of your DCís to 2008 (recommend 2008 R2) server (this would copy the admx files for you or manualy copy the admx files yourself).
    We also noticed odd behaviour with redirected desktop backgrounds and start menus and had to add manual registry files.
    On a side note for anyone having problems we at George Spencer School run an ICT Company called Advanced IT Services based in Nottingham and currently offering free ICT audits for other schools and colleges. Contact me via pdixon@advanceditservices.co.uk

Thank Post
    You can also manage all features from a Windows 7 box with the admin tools installed even if just using Server 2008 and I think 2003.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    You can also manage all features from a Windows 7 box with the admin tools installed even if just using Server 2008 and I think 2003.
    You can manage a 2003 environment from a windows 7 machine with admin tools installed but this would require a manual copy of the admx templates from the windows 7 machine to windows servers running 2003. (if no 2008 DCís were installed)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    You can manage a 2003 environment from a windows 7 machine with admin tools installed but this would require a manual copy of the admx templates from the windows 7 machine to windows servers running 2003. (if no 2008 DC’s were installed)

Yes true. I think you can still create a central store though. I don't think the admx files are copied to the GPO's anymore so that doesn't matter all that the admx files do is present the settings to the console it then generates a Registry.pol file that is placed in the GPO on the 2003 server this is what's replicated.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 8th December 2009 at 10:02 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast