+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Programe Compatiablity in Technical; Hey guys, been testing Windows 7 with our programes Some need to have xp compatablity and some need admin rights ...
    Thank Post

Programe Compatiablity

Hey guys, been testing Windows 7 with our programes

Some need to have xp compatablity and some need admin rights

How whould I apply the xp compatabablity on the programes needed? all programes are managed software, so I cannot apply this intergrated into the image

And also has I said some needs admin rights

How would apply this to restricted users for those neeed programes?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    XP Compatibility in Windows 7 comes in the form of virtualisation, so it's something the CPU in the computer itself needs to support. If you were using an older CPU which didn't support virtualisation, XP support isn't possible in Windows 7.

I haven't actually seen/tried this but it's what I have read and what I believe to be accurate. As for local admin rights you should be able to do this in a similar fashion to XP by adding the Security Group 'Domain Users' or a specific Security Group and/or a specific user to the Local Administrators group on the workstation.

Thank Post
    nope i I have have xp compablity on a programe using windows 7 without virtualisaion (thats is needed for the xp virtual mode, basiclly virutal pc)

it isnt local admin right we needed, it is on the domian, we dont want the users to be an adminm we just need it so there rights are elervated to admin for for the programes that need admin rights, if you understand that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    The only other option is the 'Run as' command.

t_h
    Thank Post
    What kind of software needs domain administrator rights? How were you achieving this with XP?

Thank Post
    didnt need to have admin rights in xo, seems you need it in W7 for it to work

think the programs were

Lexia (not all of them, only some needed it)

Dreamweaver mx2004 - think were getting rid of that on all the systems, had to keep it on there for a while, we just got the serif suite

Kartouch (some frech program)

sure there was a few others too, just cant think atm

cant remember what ones needed xp compatiablity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davep000 View Post
    didnt need to have admin rights in xo, seems you need it in W7 for it to work

think the programs were

Lexia (not all of them, only some needed it)

Dreamweaver mx2004 - think were getting rid of that on all the systems, had to keep it on there for a while, we just got the serif suite

Kartouch (some frech program)

sure there was a few others too, just cant think atm

cant remember what ones needed xp compatiablity
    lexia is just flash based as far as im aware and tbh i run it off a server share rather than local installs maybe that would help long as you set the programs to read only it works fine

Thank Post
    Needs to be installed

Our laptops running lexia gets too slow and has frezzes if its run from the network, get the wireless is too slow

so we install lexia onto the laptop and rooms lexia gets used, that way also there is less traffice on the network

I do this for most programes, think there is only one shared which is about 8gb which is just too much to install on computers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know this sounds a bit harsh, but this is how I see it, and explain it to teaching staff.

If a PC was ten years old, would you expect it to still be useful or compatible with todays operating systems etc. The answer I get has always been 'No'

Then what do you think the chances of getting this piece of Software (Published in 1999 with a min spec of Win 3.1) to work?

Software has a lifetime too unless publishers are willing to keep updating it.

On the other side of this I've come across a couple of pieces of software less than 2 years old which still don't work correctly with Vista without being persuaded and those companies should be ashamed of themselves!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    I know this sounds a bit harsh, but this is how I see it, and explain it to teaching staff.

If a PC was ten years old, would you expect it to still be useful or compatible with todays operating systems etc. The answer I get has always been 'No'

Then what do you think the chances of getting this piece of Software (Published in 1999 with a min spec of Win 3.1) to work?

Software has a lifetime too unless publishers are willing to keep updating it.

On the other side of this I've come across a couple of pieces of software less than 2 years old which still don't work correctly with Vista without being persuaded and those companies should be ashamed of themselves!
    abacus evolve springs to mind they now want you to shell out for an online version even if you only bought it a year ago when vista was a current os (apparantly it was mentioned when sold but as i never see this stuff all i get is a pile of software (in this case a huge pile) that dosent help)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information