+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 8 And Windows 9? in Technical; Windows 8 And Windows 9? Windows 8 Concept Screenshot? Article source: blog.eightforums.com...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 926 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 And Windows 9?

Windows 8 And Windows 9?

Windows 8 Concept Screenshot?

Article source: blog.eightforums.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I've never really understood why Microsoft or websites 'leak' or publish information knowing full well that Windows 7 is due for release very soon. I still think Microsoft are their worse enemy getting people to upgrade from XP.

t_h
    Thank Post
    The screenshot looks like Gnome to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    The screenshot looks like Gnome to me.
    every windows release gets closer to unixes.

128bit lol. thats going to annoy everyone.
    Slashdot Technology Story | Microsoft Leaks Details of 128-bit Windows 8

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    unless MS are using linux based icons, thats not real...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    128bit lol. thats going to annoy everyone.
    Can't see why it should annoy people? We've pretty much got 64 bit Windows working well (I've got 64 bit Windows 7 on 3 machines; no problems with drivers or the software I use) so I'd hope that by the time 128bit chips are commodity items there'll be no problems getting stuff working.

For people who do serious maths (ie games players :-)), having big number crunching ought to be a good thing

Thank Post
    Saw this on PC Advisor First Windows 8 details emerge News - PC Advisor "According to Microsoft's plans to release a new desktop version of Windows every three years, Windows 8 is scheduled to become available in 2012"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Windows 8 And Windows 9?

Windows 8 Concept Screenshot?

Article source: blog.eightforums.com
    link is blocked for me. Can someone repost image please

Thank Post
    Its a load of rubbish like every other 'concept' screenshot that is 'leaked' every now and then. Remember the vista 'concept' screenshots?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ergh. Give people a chance to install Windows 7 before "leaking" 8 and 9.

It seems to me that information leaks are always approved by top managed. Dear me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Can't see why it should annoy people? We've pretty much got 64 bit Windows working well (I've got 64 bit Windows 7 on 3 machines; no problems with drivers or the software I use) so I'd hope that by the time 128bit chips are commodity items there'll be no problems getting stuff working.

For people who do serious maths (ie games players :-)), having big number crunching ought to be a good thing
    It would annoy developers who would have to re-compile all their software. It would annoy sysadmins who would have to re-install it and it would annoy customers who would have to re-buy it. of course MS get another marketing coup and software houses make more money. But Is there a practical reason to go to 128bit? The jump to 8bit, 16bit,32bit and 64bit were so that the O/S could address more memory, I don't see a reason for this other than marketing hype. if it is true.

t_h
    Thank Post
    It's the old "640k ought to be enough" again - people might not see a need for it right now, but why wouldn't Microsoft look into it for future versions of Windows?

We already have graphics cards with 128, 256 bit memory buses so for me it hardly seems excessive for a future OS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It would annoy developers who would have to re-compile all their software. It would annoy sysadmins who would have to re-install it and it would annoy customers who would have to re-buy it. of course MS get another marketing coup and software houses make more money. But Is there a practical reason to go to 128bit? The jump to 8bit, 16bit,32bit and 64bit were so that the O/S could address more memory, I don't see a reason for this other than marketing hype. if it is true.
    The change from 8 to 16 etc wasn't just about memory. Remember, there are two important sets of "numbers" in a CPU - the width of the address bus (controls the maximum RAM you can address) and the width of the data bus (controls the size of numbers you can process).

On 8 bit CPUs you were stuck with numbers no bigger than 2^8 (256 decimal). This meant that to do maths with "real" numbers meant lots of complex fiddling around (eg the Z80 CPU allowed you to use pairs of registers so you could deal with numbers up to 2^16 but that still doesn't allow you to handle decimal numbers with any precision)

Anything involving real maths needs more bits (eg true colour graphics need 24 bit numbers for each pixel). If you want to be able to process graphics reasonably quickly, you want to be able to do more than 1 pixel at a time.

Some developers will get annoyed; many will be excited at the prospect of what they can do now they don't have "stupid" restrictions.

Of course, not everyone needs the extra - there's loads of software which is 16 or 32 bit today even though we've had 64 bit CPUs in common use for ages. I've no doubt that 128 bit CPUs will happily run 64 bit software and there's no reason why we couldn't have VMs on "Windows 8" just like we can have on Windows 7 so you could run your old app in a seamless VM.

Thank Post
    Apple should do large educational discounts to get schools using mac for everything... they're more "creative" as they say than Windows... and that's what kids need isnt it? Them Mac v PC videos on YouTube are right I guess.

The other main thing is the amount of people who can't use vista yet as it looks entirely different, the start button has gone... so all them tutorials we made are now wrong as there is no effin START button!

15. Thanks to DaveMurphy from:

painejake (10th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Its a load of rubbish like every other 'concept' screenshot that is 'leaked' every now and then. Remember the vista 'concept' screenshots?
    Yep do you remember the Luna screen shots for the Windows 2000 welcome screen that eventually was canned and ended up in XP.

Slashdot Technology Story | Microsoft Leaks Details of 128-bit Windows 8

I doubt that Windows 8 will be a 128 bit OS BUT I could see a new 128 bit filesystem being included.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast